Thailand and the fallout from mass tourism

Gecko123

14 minutes ago, whiteman said:

stop them all coming just leave it all for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ????

Maybe you'll change your mind after you watch the videooooo.  :biggrin:

Edited by Gecko123
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, whiteman said:

stop them all coming just leave it all for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ????

before silly non sense comment watch the video

• Thanks 2

hope that somebody in the NEW government will watch the video and realize how much they screw up and their country's future doesn't look bright at all it they keep going like that without any concerns for nature

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thaidream said:

The wealthy hotel owners; restaurant owneers and others making huge profits from tourism don't care if everything is destroyed as long as the money flows.

Most of the Western tourists do not come anymore but they are replaced by the Middle Easterners; the Chinese and Indians.  Eventually- they will also get tired of Thailand's filth and pollution but it will take much longer as there are billions of Chinese and Indians. 

The only thing that can stop Thailand from continuously going downhill is a Government that understands what is happening; refuse to bend to the Wealthy and simply controls mass tourism.  More is not better.

Phuket; Pattaya and even Hua Hin are mostly destroyed.  There are several beaches along the South Coast that are pristine but eventually- if there are no controls- they too will go the way of the rest.

I'm amazed the Green movement isn't jumping all over this and demanding a ban on all holiday travel other than by bicycle or shanks' pony.

Would make about as much sense as the rest of their deranged ravings.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The only thing that can stop Thailand from continuously going downhill is a Government that understands what is happening; refuse to bend to the Wealthy

But - the Government IS the Wealthy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sadly, a similar story in most of the tourist spots in the world nowadays. I have stopped visiting these places as I don't want to be one of millions who gorge in their own self-interests. They are not special any more. Best to find a quiet corner of the earth and keep it to yourself...

I’m with you guys.

1) Foreign people should not develop their countries, so that they remain pristine for me to visit; this has the added benefit of local poverty that makes hookers dirt-cheap;

2) Secondly, tourists should stay at home. Personally, I’d far rather stay at home and enjoy a bit of cycling in quiet traffic while everyone is out of town.

But poverty is great, especially other peoples’ , and if they want to escape poverty , they should ask us how

• Haha 2

A well-intentioned documentary that is a net positive to awareness of huge growing problems in Thailand, but it misses the mark on the real issues.

The program should have focused on these four things:

1) there has been a huge increase in tourism, and a huge increase in tax revenues from tourism, but little if any increase in effective sewage and waste disposal treatment/facilities. Where did all those $billions in tax revenue go to?

2) plastics are not a problem, the problem is the incorrect disposal of plastics

3) why is there no effective prohibition and punishment for walking on corals?

4) thais are mostly responsible for the environment of their country, so why have thais done little to effectively prevent the destruction of their environment?.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
  • Like 2

That video is both sad & disgusting

Problem with Thailand/government/protection agencies etc etc

Is even if/when they make regulations they rarely enforce them or worse corruption allows sidestepping them for X amount of Baht

If they were serious they would regulate the industry. That does not mean limit it...

Look at places like Maldives,Bora Bora,Bahamas,Hawaii they see more tourist but do not have that amount of devastation because the hotels,

restaurants,tour boats etc are all regulated with laws that are enforced

There is no excuse for those restaurant shown dropping their raw sewage right into the ocean.

Health department in most countries would close them right down till fixed.

Other poster mentioned Chiang Mai & the burning which is not caused by tourist...while that is correct it is still

due to lack of enforcement that it continues.

Burnt fields cannot be hidden....How easy would it be to enforce fines for blackened land owners or worse

But hey TIT right? Anyone thinks these things will change anytime soon?

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

4) thais are mostly responsible for the environment of their country, so why have thais done little to effectively prevent the destruction of their environment?.

low intelligence would be my best guess

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 11:13 AM, Krataiboy said:

I'm amazed the Green movement isn't jumping all over this and demanding a ban on all holiday travel other than by bicycle or shanks' pony.

Would make about as much sense as the rest of their deranged ravings.

I think just bicycles is best. Having to dodge pony poo while walking Hua Hin beach kind of takes away from the quality experience.

• Haha 2

It should really be stopped and be forbidden to swim in this places here anyway. Thanks in advance for that matter. That's how you destroy other countries by allowing such "tourists" in them. I always do that with maximum caution, all that things. 

On 6/7/2019 at 4:38 PM, Thaidream said:

Most of the Western tourists do not come anymore but they are replaced by the Middle Easterners; the Chinese and Indians.  Eventually- they will also get tired of Thailand's filth and pollution but it will take much longer as there are billions of Chinese and Indians. 

Their world view regarding what is filthy and polluted is likely not the same as yours, so you are likely correct, if they tire of it at all.

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2019 at 4:38 PM, Thaidream said:

Not to Thailand, but Vietnam and Cambodia are packed with western tourists.

Edited by BritManToo