Thailand and the fallout from mass tourism

Gecko123

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, connda said:

I have news for everyone worried about ecology.  Here in the North where we just had one of the worst Air Quality disasters for the months of February all the way through May of this year - four bloody, choking months of PM 2.5 air - here's the news ladies and gentlemen:
Tourist were not responsible for burning down the forests nor responsible for the completely unregulated agricultural burning that caused not only bad air, but ecological devastation of the Thai forest areas, that have by the way been largely deforested over the last 70 years.  More news for ya'll.  The ecological disaster of deforestation isn't caused by evil foreign tourist wielding chain saws either.  All of this is directly the responsibility of Thais and an inept Thai regulatory scheme that allowed the deforestation in the first place.
And the pollution of beaches.  Largely caused by industrial and agricultural runoff Thai individuals, organizations, and companies that are completely unregulated.  But hell - blame it on Chinese tourists, why not?

One primary area that is directly attributed to too many tourists: the destruction of coral reefs by idiot boat operators dropping anchor right on the reefs. There are ways to alleviate that, but don't look for a solution in this country.  Greed drives everything.

Most of the choking air is caused by mainland Chinese policies. Myanmar suffers the same way. China is pervasive in so many ways the average farang expat will never be aware of.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:16 PM, totally thaied up said:

Would you really like to go to such tourist attractions with the hordes of Chinese in attendance. Nope,  not me. 

How are hordes of Chinese that much different to hordes of Europeans?

Stop your racist bigotry. I live and work with Chinese people....some good..some bad...same as anywhere.

The government owns this but have no clue how to manage it and refuse to ask for help. But the people visiting need to be responsible and they are not.  Thailand isn't the only location like this.  Mass tourism destroys everything in many other countries.  I don't want to come across as a doom and gloom type but the human race typically doesn't respect the planet and certain races of people are far worse then others.  Like hordes of locust that destroy everything in its path.  

This video, like many videos of other places, should be a wake up call but sadly won't be as quite honestly people just don't care.  

I have never visited Phuket or Pattaya in all my years here.  I would likely be disgusted and terribly disappointed.