Retiring to Europe (Portugal)

On June 9, 2019 at 2:16 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

The best <deleted> rssss I have ever seen were in Belgrade almost every other girl was a stunna. 

Being of Ukrainian decent, I am looking at an Eastern European holiday, need a change of scenery.

never researched the area before, I'm amazed at the beauty of the woman and the value for money there, and the scenery.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On June 9, 2019 at 8:08 PM, KittenKong said:

I really don't fancy having to chop wood to keep warm at the age of 80.

I would much rather just live somewhere where the average outdoor temperature is closer to the temperature that I want indoors, and then pay for the little bit of extra heating or cooling I may need in the peak of summer or the depths of winter.

Chopping wood?, those days are over. Log splitters, gas or electric, or buy it cut split, ready to burn. And most people do have furnaces .

6 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Chopping wood?, those days are over. Log splitters, gas or electric, or buy it cut split, ready to burn. And most people do have furnaces .

I've always enjoyed hunting my own fallen trees, slicing them with a chainsaw, then chopping them to size for my wood burning stove with an axe. I never saw it as work, or a chore and always has a wood burner in the UK, from age 25 to age 52.

One of the few things I miss from living in a cold country. 

I also thought about a relocation to Portugal. Right now I am living in a beautiful 120 sqm house beside a lake in Chiang Mai, 20-25 minutes away from city center. The house is worth 5.5 mio. Baht. What I saw similar in Portugal near Porto or Lisbon is minimum the double, more the triple price to buy. If I would rent a nice house, it´s around 1,000 Euro per month.

• 2 months later...

As an European citizen (from a EU member state) does the Freedom of Movement law then allow you to stay less than 6 months is say Portugal or Italy without registering and thereby avoiding any contact with the Tax authorities?

This way the hassle setting up a bank account could also be avoided and use use cash or Thai debit card.

How do you rent on a 6 month bases? Unlike Thailand where most condos are fully furnished, European apartments usually come unfurnished, unless of course you use Airbnb, but that is an expensive option.

Yes, I guess you can live in Italy no registering anywhere, as European, for less than 180 days....but.....then you may want to have access to the Healthcare , which is one of your entitlements, and to register with the Healthcare you need to have residency. 

In order to set residency, a  list of documents are needed. You need to be a tax-payer somewhere else (even if it is low tax or non-tax, double taxation agreement, etc). 

Regarding rental, accomodation, I wouldn't worry too much: eventually you will find one that rent you sth suitable for six months, depending on location you choose. 

Tax in Italy depends which income band you are in, usually is  20%, many European entrapreuners set up limited companies in Estonia or Plovniv (Bulgaria) where tax is lower, and quick jump, 6+6 months. 

On 8/13/2019 at 1:10 AM, emptypockets said:

Online teaching , in my opinion, means you have no options left. Basically broke and desperate.

I know someone teaching English to wealthy Chinese via an app. They are paid $150 USD per hour and stay booked solid. They’ve been at it for a few years now.

How much do you make per hour?

The only desperation I see are those desperate to leave this sinking ship and those lying to themselves in desperation to stay.

Archived