Phoenix tour boat fails to sell as authorities run up huge storage costs

snoop1130

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Granted, but one was a huge 8,000 ton RORO ferry, while this was a small craft hardly worth the scrap value. Why did they even raise it?

I stand by my statement - only in Thailand would they consider making money from such a sensitive disaster.

You're questioning the raising which according to TV posters should have been done much faster. 

Sorry, your reasoning is utterly nonsense.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Because in most cases it is not nonsense but the truth.

BTW it is spout and not sprout. That is a vegetable.

Since it is incorrect it shows ignorance.

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since it is incorrect it shows ignorance.

It's not incorrect. All those palm trees along Thepkassetri road in the central reservation, you know, when they cut down the trees to make room, were purchased by an ex-governor not long before his term finished. They were bought from a relative of his.

Or, how about the Welcome gate and the Patong welcome sign? That pissy little sign cost 9 million.

What we call corruption is called a Sensible Business Plan here. Just for once, take off those rosy-tinted glasses you always wear and open your eyes.

3 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

It's not incorrect. All those palm trees along Thepkassetri road in the central reservation, you know, when they cut down the trees to make room, were purchased by an ex-governor not long before his term finished. They were bought from a relative of his.

Or, how about the Welcome gate and the Patong welcome sign? That pissy little sign cost 9 million.

What we call corruption is called a Sensible Business Plan here. Just for once, take off those rosy-tinted glasses you always wear and open your eyes.

And there was me thinking this was about phoenix and storage. No corruption there, as claimed here.

And no, I won't make this personal, despite your attempt.

28 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Riiiiight. You carry on believing that and I'll carry on laughing up my sleeve.

Since you seem very well versed in the family connection between this shipyard and authorities, maybe you can explain them.

32 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since you seem very well versed in the family connection between this shipyard and authorities, maybe you can explain them.

.....and you know that it's all straight? You do know this is Thailand, right? Any opportunity to make money. Doesn't the price make you even a little bit suspicious? What kind of house can you rent for 100k per month? That boat isn't very big and the customer is the government. Nobodies personal wealth is involved. Ripe for pork.........just the way every other government contract is.

You want to believe everything is above board, that's up to you, but incredibly naive considering the amount of time you have been here. Or, are you just in your usual Thai apologist mode?

10 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

.....and you know that it's all straight? You do know this is Thailand, right? Any opportunity to make money. Doesn't the price make you even a little bit suspicious? What kind of house can you rent for 100k per month? That boat isn't very big and the customer is the government. Nobodies personal wealth is involved. Ripe for pork.........just the way every other government contract is.

You want to believe everything is above board, that's up to you, but incredibly naive considering the amount of time you have been here. Or, are you just in your usual Thai apologist mode?

The claim was 'family connection', I said no, not in this case. You disagreed with me, but it is now obvious you have nothing.

And again personal, off topic remarks. Sad.

3 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Granted, but one was a huge 8,000 ton RORO ferry, while this was a small craft hardly worth the scrap value. Why did they even raise it?

I stand by my statement - only in Thailand would they consider making money from such a sensitive disaster.

Try Titanic, and see how much money (and still ongoing) has been made from that disaster. 

7 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I certainly didn't mean family only, though, that is the preferred method as it keeps it in the family.

Personal enrichment by whatever means are necessary, family, or no family.

"Off-topic" ? Are you a Mod now?

That is what the poster I responded to, a response with which you disagreed by mentioning family connections, claimed.

Why the continuous insults? Even sadder than it was.

7 hours ago, Carib said:

Try Titanic, and see how much money (and still ongoing) has been made from that disaster. 

No for Thailand haters its only Thailand that makes money of disasters. Its boring sometimes they got burned by a girl or can't afford a visa and keep putting Thailand down.

Sure there is a lot of corruption in this country but in This case only one place they could store it (big enough) so its not as if the people in charge had much of a choice.

44 minutes ago, billd766 said:

So tell me where it is incorrect.

You show me the siblings and cousins involved, and I'll retract. But it is really easy: there is only 1 shipyard on Phuket capable of serving a boat that size.

The post I reacted to stated " You got it wrong there. In Thailand it´s not called tender process. They call it cousin ans siblings process. "

55 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You show me the siblings and cousins involved, and I'll retract. But it is really easy: there is only 1 shipyard on Phuket capable of serving a boat that size.

The post I reacted to stated " You got it wrong there. In Thailand it´s not called tender process. They call it cousin ans siblings process. "

I think that you are confusing me with another poster. I have no idea, but why don't you go back to that post and ask that poster. Only try to get some links or press reports to back it up.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:12 PM, ParadiseLost said:

Only in Thailand.

What sick mind looks at that and thinks "We can make money from that".

Did they advertise it in China?

It is an illegal asset confiscated by AMLO, they have no choice, it happens in most countries, including yours!

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, Matzzon said:

100 000 per month? Must be another chromosome problem. How can it cost 100K a month to store trash?

Nobody, wants to buy it. If they let it stand on the ground in open air, it will cost nothing. probably scared of somebody stealing the shit nobody want to buy.

They should be happy if somebody stole it. Problem solved.

...or you could read the link.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:01 AM, Crossy said:

Indeed (in September 1987), but she was almost immediately scrapped (March 1988).

What happens after the sale is irrelevant, it didn't have to be scrapped, that would be the new owners choice. 

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I think that you are confusing me with another poster. I have no idea, but why don't you go back to that post and ask that poster. Only try to get some links or press reports to back it up.

Ask what?

What do you want backed up?

Your post is confusing.

18 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Why did they even raise it?

The investigation into the accident, obviously, same as happens everywhere else.

"I stand by my statement - only in Thailand would they consider making money from such a sensitive disaster".

Your statement is wrong whether you stand by it or not, as illustrated by a specific example on this thread in the UK.

14 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I certainly didn't mean family only, though, that is the preferred method as it keeps it in the family.

Personal enrichment by whatever means are necessary, family, or no family.

"Off-topic" ? Are you a Mod now?

He doesn't have to be a mod to make a comment about whether your comment is off-topic, this is a discussion forum, isn't it?

Archived