Heavy rain brings Bangkok to a standstill

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, dddave said:

While the BTS/MRT is far from perfect, I challenge the always hyper-critical TV elite to name any major city with a population of a million or more that does not have a severely strained and overcrowded metro transportation system.  New York City?  Please; 2 billion dollar deficit, obsolete signalling and major breakdowns every day.  San Francisco?, Washington DC?  Very expensive, overcrowded with constant labor problems.  London?  Hong Kong, Paris, Moscow?  Don't go in rush hour.  

But in most cities the road transport system is slow but viable - Bangkok only has 9% roads were Tokyo is 25% and NYC 30% and at present most roads are parking lots most of the day due to construction activities.  Add that many of the roads are dead ends you have really bad alternatives to mass transit.  That action is being taken to expand rail systems is good - but long overdue and should not be so much at one time.  Buying a few more carriages for system in use might be money well spent.   

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But in most cities the road transport system is slow but viable - Bangkok only has 9% roads were Tokyo is 25% and NYC 30% and at present most roads are parking lots most of the day due to construction activities.  Add that many of the roads are dead ends you have really bad alternatives to mass transit.  That action is being taken to expand rail systems is good - but long overdue and should not be so much at one time.  Buying a few more carriages for system in use might be money well spent.   

You didn't answer the question about crowding in major cities.

And I really disagree that so much should not be done at one time.  They have done the right thing: bite the bullet, get it done.  A few years of pain will be worth it.  Why waste time building a line at a time and drag in on for decades?

By 2025 Bangkok will have more mass transit lines than London.  Think about that - it is an extraordinary statement.  London started building in the late 1800's.  Bangkok will have done it all in 30 years - that is to be applauded.

And I am from the UK.  I would much rather be on the BTS or MRT at rush hour than the Piccadilly line or Victoria line - squished in, no aircon, no safety barriers, and paying a fortune for the privilege.  

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

And I really disagree that so much should not be done at one time.  They have done the right thing: bite the bullet, get it done.

We can agree to disagree - upgrading is a lifetime work and should be done before needed and no argument that major construction is overdue (think Hopewell).  Most of current construction is ring road type routes that will not get people into the main city area (but perhaps help get to current lines that serve that area) so much more attention should be made to improve the old lines with more cars available, but have not even seen that mentioned.  

10 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

A few years of pain will be worth it. 

Some of us only have a few years - and do not appreciate the extra pain all over the city.  Just hope they do not become the abandoned structures of Hopewell or Prasert-Manukitch Road.

• 2 weeks later...

Good job bangkok has those 10 new fire boats to sail up the streets they can pump the water out ....

Who would have thought that building a city in a river estury at sea level without putting proper draind in first would ever be a problem 

My vote would be to build a wall round the city to stop the water going any further . Prehaps we need the orange haired baffoon in thailand he likes walls 

Archived