liquidate thai assets and transfer to vietnam

YetAnother

reading the thai immigration writing on the wall, seems to be a couple more years they will get most of us gone; mind you a lot of us can stay financially but we tire of their immigration games ; 

other opportunities seem quite positive;

at the moment i would favor vietnam over thailand;

after all these years, thai racism as reflected in thai immigration policies seems more (negatively) stronger than ever ;

i , and many among us, need the thais as much as they need us;

less than zero;

but...to get to the main point, i, and many of us, seemingly, today, have most of our financial assets here; long term looks to be elsewhere; i will tire of carrying maximum cash amounts back and forth;

any ideas , large amounts ?

thanks

"How to liquidate thai assets and transfer to vietnam"

It seems you have already liquidated the assets...and are simply asking about moving cash. I thought your post was going to be about how to dispose of property quickly after deciding to move on?

12 minutes ago, justin case said:

vietnam, with agent orange still "active" for another few hundreds years, would be the last place in mind

All over Vietnam, you think?

What about pesticides and insecticides all over the place?

Outside of Vietnam, I mean.

if by assets you mean your spends for a couple of years, easy enough to move cash as others have said: if you mean long term savings I would not hold those in either country, completely crazy idea. Much better/safer to hold long term savings in Sing or HK then transfer cash to where needed as and when.

6 hours ago, justin case said:

vietnam, with agent orange still "active" for another few hundreds years, would be the last place in mind

Unaware of Trumps visit he must have kept that very quite ????

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

The Thais have never needed you

The government policies of the day have. 

Take your large amounts you have accrued with you in cash or bitcoin or Dee money or whatever. Or simply do a bank transfer.

No not the arrogant rulers but what about the Isaan families supported by so many farang or has this never crossed your mind? 

FYI, Agent Orange was used on all of the US Military bases in Thailand as well as Vietnam. In fact, it was used as heavily here as in Vietnam. If you check the world crime statistics, you are much more likely to get raped, mugged, beaten up or killed in Thailand today than Vietnam. Since you posted on Thai Visa, I assume that you read it as well.

7 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

FYI, Agent Orange was used on all of the US Military bases in Thailand as well as Vietnam. In fact, it was used as heavily here as in Vietnam.

right you are! the runways in U-Tapao, Korat and several other locations for the B52 bombers had to be once a month deforestated and defoliated. :coffee1:

Enjoy the beeping horns of vietnam and the locals who will not understand you when you are driving around lost on your moped asking how to get to Hoi An. If you dont have the correct pronunciation they will not understand you. Also enjoy the rip offs. They are the most money hungry people Ive ever come across

7 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

If you check the world crime statistics, you are much more likely to get raped, mugged, beaten up or killed in Thailand today than Vietnam. Since you posted on Thai Visa, I assume that you read it as well.

Googled Crime index by country.  Just the opposite. Vietnam has a higher crime index and lower safety index compared to Thailand  https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

"Crime index offenses include willful homicide, forcible rape, robbery, burglary, aggravated assault, larceny over $50, motor vehicle theft, and arson."

Index Thailand Vietnam
Crime Index: 41.73 48.32
Safety Scale: 58.27 51.68

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

Enjoy the beeping horns of vietnam and the locals who will not understand you when you are driving around lost on your moped asking how to get to Hoi An. If you dont have the correct pronunciation they will not understand you. Also enjoy the rip offs. They are the most money hungry people Ive ever come across

Google maps is better than most locals.

Asking a local for directions, Dude, you're living in the past.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, YetAnother said:

here; long term looks to be elsewhere; i will tire of carrying maximum cash amounts back and forth;

any ideas , large amounts ?

Why make it hard.. Bank transfer.. 

If large amounts.. Use the FETF or tortor 3 from when it was brought in.

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

What about Thai currency?

The Bank of Thailand places a monetary limit on the export of Thai baht notes and coins. The general export limit is 50,000 baht, however in the case of the OP he would be travelling to one of the few countries with a higher limit.

If you are travelling to Vietnam you can export up to two million Thai baht in currency. You must declare to Thai customs the export of more than 450,000 Thai baht, or USD 15,000 (or other foreign currencies) or any aggregate of Thai and/or foreign currencies that exceeds the limit.

The only question would be why would the OP do that? I'm guessing he would receive a much better exchange rate buying VND in Thailand as opposed to selling THB in Vietnam?

15 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Which city in Vietnam are you considering and why?

Da Lat, temperate, not expensive, not overrun with russians, low crime, as much as we can tell, not excessively touristy, very few bad reports from a large expat local community, local expat forum has 5000+members 

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

Da Lat, temperate, not expensive, not overrun with russians, low crime, as much as we can tell, not excessively touristy, very few bad reports from a large expat local community, local expat forum has 5000+members 

What local expat forum is that?

Dalat yes interesting location just reading on google about it.

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

I’m not sure how much time you’ve spent in Da Lat but your facts aren’t quite right. There are lots of western tourists, nothing like Thailand but still plenty. Da Lat is VERY touristy but most are Vietnamese. Climate is generally cool. Crime exists, I stopped someone pickpocketing my phone. There really isn’t a large expat community. Food (IMO) is desperately poor, I’ve never had a good meal yet. Food is one of the reasons I never stay more than 3-4 days there and I could never live there. However I still really like DaLat and visit a couple of times a year

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

The politics of Vietnam would have no more effect on expat life than Thai politics have on expat life here. Both countries have some very weird rules and some very weird attitudes.

2 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

The politics of Vietnam would have no more effect on expat life than Thai politics have on expat life here. Both countries have some very weird rules and some very weird attitudes.

Not you but many posts saying leaving Thailand over the last 5 years because of Junta and Prayut and go live in Vietnam like it's any better politically and in fact Their human rights record is Abysmal. Terrible infrastructure and having to go straight back to Bangkok for any medical procedure that requires more than a few stitches.

On 6/9/2019 at 8:22 AM, davidst01 said:

Travel there regularly and moving there when my current retirement extension ends here. I have never had any of the problems you described and quite probably because of the beeping the roads are much safer than here in Thailand.

Archived