HOnda Jazz manual trans

Anyone have any experience with the Honda Jazz, manual transmission? I think they run cheaper and probably less re-sale value. I'm mildly considering (among many other cars!) a 2015 version. I wonder how the stick affects performance. Does it make the Jazz....any jazzier?

Have hired several Honda Jazz's and they are a great little car.

Despite being rentals and some high mileage, never had a problem.

Bur they have all been automatics

Have you seen how most Thais drive? Most have no clue when to change gear, labour the engine on hills

and the poor vehicle is shuddering when they finally change. I think it would be unwise to buy a second hand manual, too much abuse on clutch, gearbox and engine is likely.

Besides on most roads I drive on, an auto is much less frustrating to drive. Still cheap on gas, about 15km/litre

and B2.1 per km by my last tank full and that is in heavy traffic around Phuket with the aircon always on.

Thanks guys. I have hired the Jazz, too, auto version. It's a 2010 however so getting a little old. But still quite peppy. Not sure which version...I hope it's the DSI model meaning I will be pleasantly surprised by the VTEC. The 2015 manual version that's for sale appears at first look to be in great shape and the price is much more reasonable compared to a similar condition/year auto version. That's what has piqued my interest on it, the price and condition. Sure, a stick shift would affect resale value for me to so that's something to think about. And good point that the clutch could have been beat up.

The one I have rented is white, tinted windows on the sides but plain glass in front. I have found that the sun pouring in the front is so hot that the car can't really cool down enough. I mean, that windshield is so large, and the black dash so vast, it soaks up the sun and radiates heat like an oven. Have you experienced that? Yesterday, after sitting in the sun, I drove it for about half and hour and the air con never managed to catch up. Perhaps it needs a gas blast or perhaps this is an inherent problem?

All my cars here have been manual transmission and all have sold easily, probably because those people who prefer them have less choice when it comes to buying.

Bought all of them second hand and never had any problems with the gearbox on any of them.

If you live in the city and spend a lot of time sitting in traffic on a daily basis then an auto is less tiring to drive.  In the countryside a manual makes more sense if you prefer greater control.

In the end its just a matter of personal preference.

I live in the city, in Chiang Mai, it's true. But it's not Bangkok. I lived in Boston and New York, too, and always had a stick. I do remember my knee feeling like it was going to blow out once when I moved only about a half mile in 45 minutes, in 2 foot increments!

I do like the cheaper price of the car....

Thanks for chiming in!

11 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Anyone have any experience with the Honda Jazz, manual transmission?

In 2013 there were 5 speed manuals about don't know whether they were in Thailand though,  most assembled Thai cars are auto these days which can be used in a manual way either with the gear shift or gear shift in sports mode and using paddles control arms on the steering column.

We have a manual truck I don't have problem with it. 

4 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks guys. I have hired the Jazz, too, auto version.

The one I have rented is white, tinted windows on the sides but plain glass in front. I have found that the sun pouring in the front is so hot that the car can't really cool down enough. I mean, that windshield is so large, and the black dash so vast, it soaks up the sun and radiates heat like an oven. Have you experienced that? Yesterday, after sitting in the sun, I drove it for about half and hour and the air con never managed to catch up. Perhaps it needs a gas blast or perhaps this is an inherent problem?

Actually just bought a new Jazz at the beginning of May

Got white because of the heat.

Got 40% film (choice of 40% or 60%) on the windows all around and it is fine and the aircon copes comfortably. I am certain there are plenty of places that could put the film on your screen if you wanted.

Have driven rentals with darker film on, and I don't like it and worry about the loss of night vision. Here in Phuket there are so many unlit bikes, cars and even the elephants don't have tail lights at night.

I have driven other cars in Thailand with the film on the front glass and man was it a crap shoot. I hated it, couldn't see a bloody thing. So many bikes don't have rear lights. It certainly shows you one reason there are so many accidents.

So 40% and it's fine for night driving? I just got back from another ride with this Jazz and yes, the heat was pouring off that front dash like an oven again. If I bought one, I would certainly do film, a dash cover, or both. I guess your dash top is black, too? Does it not heat up like an oven during the day?

So I was doing 120 km down a straight road and the 2010 Jazz had plenty of pep and zip but was bouncing around quite a bit...sort of felt like it could take flight if the bump was big enough. This was with just myself in the car and no gear. I am very impressed with the zip and the braking. Handles pretty well and going up the mountains had no problem. Shifting was quick and smart. I just don't like the lightness and tin-canny feel. Does your new Jazz have that or is it because this is an older, 2010 version with 125,000 km on the clock?

Be aware that manual jazz is stripped out. It's the lowest spec you can buy, so that is why it's cheaper. It's the ricer boys choice of car, so be wary when buying secondhand. Actually, even second hand, they are asking close to new car prices for it. Don't buy anything that has been modified. There will also be a 1.0 turbo jazz coming, I think, this year. It will be an auto though. 

2017 model, 500K. https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/honda-jazz-s-i-vtec-bangkok-metropolitan-ratchadaphisek-huai-khwang-lat-phrao-phetchaburi/5890364

New price is 555K. This will be only fun on long open roads. It's not for driving in a congested city. Acceleration and fuel economy in the auto version is not that much different. 

Wow that's a great price! New price is only 55k more? My wife probably won't appreciate a manual, either... I should just scrap the manual idea, I guess.

Do the new Jazz feel less like a tin can or does that feeling just come with the territory? I still have to test some more expensive cars to see what the competition is like. I'm really liking the lines and scaled-up luxury (compared to Jazz) of the Honda CHR and the Mazda 3 and cx3. I'm worried they are not going to be nearly as peppy as the Jazz.

6 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Wow that's a great price! New price is only 55k more? My wife probably won't appreciate a manual, either... I should just scrap the manual idea, I guess.

Do the new Jazz feel less like a tin can or does that feeling just come with the territory? I still have to test some more expensive cars to see what the competition is like. I'm really liking the lines and scaled-up luxury (compared to Jazz) of the Honda CHR and the Mazda 3 and cx3. I'm worried they are not going to be nearly as peppy as the Jazz.

For performance, the cx-3 is the best of that lot you mentioned. It has the 2.0 engine and 6 speed auto. If it's just for 2 people this would be fine. There's not a lot of space in the back. My preference in the 1-1.2M baht range would be the honda civic hatchback turbo. I think you will need to spend this much to get a "nice" car. Decide on what you can budget, then you know what your choices are. 

My Jazz is white with a black dash ( 2016 ) left in the sun it gets hotter than hell , obviously, but open the front windows turn the aircon on at 22 degrees with the fan up high and 20 seconds later I can close the windows and shortly after turn the fan down to 2 .
Think your aircon probably needs a top up !!

Slightly off topic, but I think it was mentioned in the other thread, saw an MG ZS today and couldn’t help thinking “ I wouldn’t buy one of these just because of that fugly blue and red MG badge on the back and that Morris Garages since 1924 decal !! “

52 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I wouldn’t buy one of these just because of that fugly blue and red MG badge on the back and that Morris Garages since 1924 decal !! “

Made in China, how can they call it British and put the Union Jack flag on it? "MG" Morris Garages now stands for Mandarin Garages.

Re-sale value will be poor. If you want one, buy it at 6 -12 months old, save a fortune.

I am afraid to buy the MG, too, and will not be. However, they did pretty good with the styling. It catches my eye every time and I say, "oh, what's that?" and then see it's an MG and feel deflated. Some folks have said good things about them.

The problem with the Jazz that I am experiencing is all that real estate up front (the large dash area) continues to soak up and radiate heat while you are driving (sun coming through the front, un-tinted windshield) so even when I can feel the cool air from the air con (which I think does indeed need a top up) I can also feel hot air continuing to radiate off the dash.

Not to offend but how do you feel driving the Jazz on the highway at say 120 km? It easily does that speed but the one I was driving feel a little shaky at that speed. It is a perfect around town car and I love the large area in the back with the seats down. Could almost be a mini-pickup!

DavisH, I will take a look at the Honda Civic. The Civic is a great looking car though I think it went downhill style-wise on the rear taillights as of recent. I didn't realize it was a hatchback...or are there two models, hatchback and sedan?

Thanks for the vids...that exhaust is impressive!

I don't need space in the back for people sitting but I would like a single large space for carrying a bulky item now and again. I like the CX3 a lot, it bums me out they restricted the hatchback opening, I guess in the name of style. What I like about the Honda HRV is the opening seems quite large. I have not put the Mazda 3 out of the running, either. It also has a 2.0 engine.

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

DavisH, any view on the CX5? A bit more open in the back than the CX3 and some used models not too too pricey, 600k range (and lower). I do not want to spend 1,000,000 baht. Just doesn't make sense for me right now.

There are plenty of the previous model cx-5 on www.taladrod.com. Some on that site are also private sales. You can get one for 600-700K or so. I would opt for the 2.5 petrol version - its the fastest of the lot. There are not a lot of this model for sale, as sales on the 2.5 were lower as it was expensive (I think over 1.6M when new). The 2.0 may feel underpowered. There is also a 2.2 diesel version. 

I def have to test drive a few of these models. The AWD feature would also be nice for visiting the in-laws on their muddy, hilly road but I haven't quite figured out which models in the past have it and which don't, or rather which years. Perhaps it was an option for all years.

Does the CX3 come in AWD? I think the new ones might but again, get pricey for me.

HRV any AWD?

Looks like you've gone off the idea, but I've had a manual Jazz for 15 years and love it. Occasionally I have a new CVT Jazz as a hire car, but after a few days can't wait to get back in my manual one with its lovely short gearing. Probably last chance to buy a manual too. That said if you drive at 120km/h a lot the manual's not the car for you (nor the Jazz in any form I imagine). 

5 minutes ago, taotoo said:

Looks like you've gone off the idea, but I've had a manual Jazz for 15 years and love it. Occasionally I have a new CVT Jazz as a hire car, but after a few days can't wait to get back in my manual one with its lovely short gearing. Probably last chance to buy a manual too. That said if you drive at 120km/h a lot the manual's not the car for you (nor the Jazz in any form I imagine). 

Hi Taotoo, there is something to be said for stick shift, isn't there? You really feel much more together with the machine. Good to have your input that you are happy with the manual! Well, as you may have seen, I'm a bit all over the place. I may be a bit off the idea right now but I'm still filtering through everything. I kind of want my wife to learn stick, too, just so she has that skill. The 120km was a test to see how the car felt. That's not a super fast speed, normal cruising speed when roads allow for it. And this particular Jazz (all?) was a bit bouncy and lightweight. Is that your experience, too? For trips around the city I imagine it would be tough to beat. But I will be taking roads trips and that calls for some long distances on highways, lots of mountains (here in the north), and lots of curves and such. So I'm hoping to find something a bit more comfortable and safe for such occasions.

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

I def have to test drive a few of these models. The AWD feature would also be nice for visiting the in-laws on their muddy, hilly road but I haven't quite figured out which models in the past have it and which don't, or rather which years. Perhaps it was an option for all years.

Does the CX3 come in AWD? I think the new ones might but again, get pricey for me.

HRV any AWD?

The cx-5 comes in awd in the diesel version. There is one for sale on one2car.com in Chiangmai for 739K. No cx-3 or hrv had the 4wd. Many more cars are available in Bangkok.  

image.png

Hmmm interesting! I wonder why only in the diesel version? I have indeed noticed Bkk has much more inventory. Do we like diesel? I certainly hate breathing the diesel fumes. That kind of turns me off to buying a diesel.

It's a good looking car. So is the Honda CRV but appears bigger to my eyes. Probably a bit bigger than I need (the CRV).

Thanks for your input, DavisH.

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

And this particular Jazz (all?) was a bit bouncy and lightweight. Is that your experience, too? For trips around the city I imagine it would be tough to beat. But I will be taking roads trips and that calls for some long distances on highways, lots of mountains (here in the north), and lots of curves and such. So I'm hoping to find something a bit more comfortable and safe for such occasions.

Yes, definitely bouncy (probably worse than the one you drove). Yes it's great around the city. It goes around curves fine too (albeit with lots of body roll on mine, though the new model is much better). Hills not a problem thanks to the gearing - I presume the new model has the same ratios. I think the safety is actually pretty good. But yes, if you're going to be doing long trips at relatively high speed something bigger and heavier is presumably going to be more comfortable.

As I said to my wife the other day, I wouldn't be unhappy with the Jazz. But I'm going to poke around for a couple weeks/months before making a decision. I'm out of the country for first two weeks of July so not planning to buy until after that time. Unless some super deal falls into my lap though that's doubtful!

How many kms on the 15 year old Jazz? Must be a lot!

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

As I said to my wife the other day, I wouldn't be unhappy with the Jazz. But I'm going to poke around for a couple weeks/months before making a decision. I'm out of the country for first two weeks of July so not planning to buy until after that time. Unless some super deal falls into my lap though that's doubtful!

How many kms on the 15 year old Jazz? Must be a lot!

About 260k I think. Still on the original clutch!

6 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Hmmm interesting! I wonder why only in the diesel version? I have indeed noticed Bkk has much more inventory. Do we like diesel? I certainly hate breathing the diesel fumes. That kind of turns me off to buying a diesel.

It's a good looking car. So is the Honda CRV but appears bigger to my eyes. Probably a bit bigger than I need (the CRV).

Thanks for your input, DavisH.

My crv is diesel euro 5. Definitely, there are no diesel fumes or smell that I detect. Nothing comes out the exhaust on full acceleration. Those smoky diesel pickups you see have been modified (unless it's very old). In fact, the CO2 emissions are lower than the petrol version. Modern diesels run very cleanly. You will also appreciate the torque when driving in the mountains. The cx-5 is a bit smaller than the crv. Fuel economy is better with the diesel version as well. 

Archived