BANGKOK 20 June 2019 14:39
Clive

good salary to support family in Thailand

Good morning
I was wondering what would be considered a good wage to support a family (wife and a couple of kids) for a Thai national in Thailand?
My half Thai kids wish to live in Thailand in the future and I wish to invest in a fund but not sure what the target should be approximately.
Thank you

• Confused 2

It is a bit more complex than one might think...

Where one lives, required housing, utilities, vehicles, food, entertainment, schools, clothing, medical and dental, and factor in unexpected vehicle and housing maintenance, insurance and other costs that may be associated if visas are required.

50000 baht is probably sufficient as a starting place...😊

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Op is talking about his Thai kids,

They won't need medical, insurance or VISAs.

Why on earth wouldn't Thai kids need private insurance? I couldn't see myself camping with the locals in the wards to care for a sick child. Remember, any patient in a government hospital requires a full time caretaker. Health insurance for a young kid (4000000 Bahts, no OPD) costs 40K to 50K).

Anyhow, for a family of 4, to have a standard of living similar the one I used to have in my previous life, I need about 170k a month. For the past few years I spent about 100k on top of that to establish our home.

Don't want to divert, but this could shed some lights in TI financial requirements...

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

How much can you afford? And then see if it will cover what you think they need, and what you would like them to have. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

45,000 baht a month plus 2% inflation a year forever.

Is that just for the family or yourself included? A policy to give the Mrs something when I pop me clogs is 4k a month.

Health insurance can be anything from 5k to 20k a month.

Kids schooling....I pay 2 x 6k a year = 1000 a month plus a room for the elder one at college = 3000 per month.

45k will not go very far.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The 65k a month seems about adequate for my personal family needs, 2 big uns, 2 kids and a dog.

House and car paid for, reasonable beer intake! 

Yes, with the house paid for, it should be more than enough. Wonder where you found the one with biguns though, they seem to be scarce here.  :laugh:

• Haha 2

Thank you all so much for taking the time out to reply.
I was planning for around £100k ppm so I believe after all your replies I think my figure is writing the realms of possibility.......Thank you

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

It will depend very much on what sort of schooling you want your grandchildren to have, and where you want them to live.

It's a lot cheaper if you're just planning on having them live upcountry and go to a local school than to live in the centre of Bangkok with the kids going to an International School.

How long is a piece of string comes to mind...

• Thanks 1