BANGKOK 26 June 2019 17:18
rumak

BEWARE of fluoroquinolone antibiotics – Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox and Floxin

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

We are all different, some are naturally more susceptible than others. You were lucky to get away with it. However, FQ drugs have latent effects, delayed onset 5 years in my case. Lots o luck! As for age and fitness.... we are the same age.... I'll leave it to my nickname for you to guess my level of fitness. Yep, the doctors turned an athlete into an old man.

i know that your being a vegetarian means the idea of bone broth turns you off.  If made in a crock pot , adding generous amount of garlic and let simmer all day , it feels like a real health boost to me.  I separate into glass jars and heat as needed,  adding salt .... and veggies sometimes.

BTW:  the stories from many many sufferers are from younger people that were athletes or fitness oriented people.   keep fighting and ignore the negativity 

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, oxysong said:

Do not understand why you guys just do not go and get the op  If prostate is enlarged,best thing I ever did,now after a beer or two can have decent nights sleep,after getting up 5/6 times in the night a couple of years ago.  Quite simple and cheap,no need for classy hospitals

Perhaps because of negative side effects?

The major possible side effects of radicalprostatectomy are urinary incontinence (being unable to control urine) and erectile dysfunction (impotence; problems getting or keeping erections).

I had prostate removed at same time as bladder due cancer so incontinence was not a factor.  Erections did return (but second urethra cancer operation has removed that factor).  Bladder/prostate operation was done by below doctor (who now works at Bumrungrad) and found him easy to talk with.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Charuspong-Dissaranan

11 minutes ago, oxysong said:

Its pointless keeping on popping pills,it stops nothing,but it keeps on growing.  I have had no side effects,none,but admit I do not produce a bucketful of cum,now just nice and calm,not chasing after every piece of skirt that happens my way,can say no,when all I could say previously was yes

Neighbour of mine had the operation (TURP) done at McCormick hospital in Chiang Mai 4-5 years back.

His doctor tells him he needs to keep taking Finasteride 5mg every day for the rest of his life or he'll need the operation again when it grows back. So it looks like we're popping pills forever, operation or not.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Neighbour of mine had the operation (TURP) done at McCormick hospital in Chiang Mai 4-5 years back.

His doctor tells him he needs to keep taking Finasteride 5mg every day for the rest of his life or he'll need the operation again when it grows back. So it looks like we're popping pills forever, operation or not.

Surgeon who did mine (two of them) had audience of at least 25 doctors/surgeons looking on large screen ,as (as they stated) largest one ever operated on,that it was cut back in such a fashion that it will not interfere with me again,but if it does,get it done again

Now that we are back on the subject of  PROSTATE  i refer all to an excellent post by tracyb in the CM forum  :  /forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1098566-has-anyone-had-laser-prostate-surgery/page/12/#comments

Here different solutions are offered by various members.   

All can of course comment here but by reading that post will gain some insights/ideas

I just reiterate my opinion:   do not do any floxins unless absolutely necessary.   I believe there is a big risk involved which I did not fully research because nobody had yet posted some of the info that I later (too late in my case) came upon.  

• Thanks 1

Well,  I feel like i have completed my duty to report on my experience with floxins.   I wish all who are suffering a recovery,  and understand what you go through.   Anyone can still PM me if something positive to discuss.   

And for the few that take pleasure (for whatever their reasons) in my temporary setback I would like you

to take the time for a very short lesson on how to properly articulate your feelings:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5tQEMzDlyI

from the mountains to the valleys :   peace and love 

3 hours ago, oxysong said:

Do not understand why you guys just do not go and get the op  If prostate is enlarged,best thing I ever did,now after a beer or two can have decent nights sleep,after getting up 5/6 times in the night a couple of years ago.  Quite simple and cheap,no need for classy hospitals

Best thing I ever did was take Levofloxacin for 2 months. After years of getting up 2-4 times each night to pee for years, I rarely ever miss any sleep now. I would say that I only get up once or twice in an entire week now. I still take the Alfuzosin every day because if I don't, I find it much more difficult to urinate.

I would never have surgery (especially TURP) - what 5-7 days recovery in the hospital with a bag of bloody urine? when I had fantastic results with the Levofloxacin. My PSA also dropped by about 40%! And for a procedure like that you would want the best hospital you could get. Everyone I know who had this procedure said it was uncomfortable/painful as hell and recovery was long and slow. Surgery - no thanks.

We seem to be mixing up different things. The thread is about a class of drugs known as quinolones: Cipro. levofloxacin, ofloxacin etc.

The drugs referred to are often prescribed  for prostatitis

They have no application whatsoever in management of BPH or prostate cancer.

And prostatitis is not treated by surgery.

Aside from prostatitis, this class of drugs (quinlones) are also prescribed in management of other conditions. Some are comparatively minor and likely to resolve without drugs or using alternative drugs; some are serious and do not  respond well  to  other classes of drugs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

We seem to be mixing up different things. The thread is about a class of drugs known as quinolones: Cipro. levofloxacin, ofloxacin etc.

The drugs referred to are often prescribed  for prostatitis

They have no application whatsoever in management of BPH or prostate cancer.

And prostatitis is not treated by surgery.

Aside from prostatitis, this class of drugs (quinlones) are also prescribed in management of other conditions. Some are comparatively minor and likely to resolve without drugs or using alternative drugs; some are serious and do not  respond well  to  other classes of drugs.

Understood, Sheryl. In my case I was being treated for years for BPH. Turned out that the root of most of my problems (after my own research) was prostatitis. After the treatment for prostatitis all of the symptoms of BPH have disappeared. Yes my prostate is large and I do have BPH. But now my situation is manageable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

i found this article very informative concerning the surgeries available for enlarged prostate.  had to click and wade through the ads.... but finally read the whole thing.

/www.webmd.com/men/prostate-enlargement-bph/enlarged-prostate-time-prostate-surgery#1

India sounds like an option .   trouble is many of us hate going to a hospital even 20 minutes away.   either way, good of oxysong to post his experience.  

Edited by rumak

3 hours ago, oxysong said:

As this thread dies,all I can say is that I suffered probably more than anyone with enlarged prostate,never mind the pills,life was not worth living with the grief it caused. for a few days of unpleasantness I'm now cured,I can piss for Great Britain if Olympic sport Nice semi private room there,regular visits from doctors (all 17 of them) that are in house surgeons,loads of visits from the nurses,only one tho I would have climbed out of bed for whilst there,all went smoothly.

Heres an idea ,if going there,go over few days before op,get all your heart,bowel ,stomach ,skin,echo,whatever ,drugs too, test arranged,come to some 100,000 here in Thailand at wrong hospital,over there around 2000baht

Can you remember what anitbiotics they gave after surgery ?   my guess would be levifloxin

6 hours ago, rumak said:

Can you remember what anitbiotics they gave after surgery ?   my guess would be levifloxin

No they were not the ones,forget the name now,but nothing I could buy from any pharmacy here. Had to go govt,hospital to buy them.