BANGKOK 26 June 2019 00:38
rooster59

Trump calls off tariffs on Mexico after deal on migration

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And subsequently to that there was this:

U.S. ending aid to El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras over migrants

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-aid/u-s-ending-aid-to-el-salvador-guatemala-honduras-over-migrants-idUSKCN1RB0OR

And then there was this:

https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-asks-us-hasten-5-8-billion-aid-200452178.html

Doesn't seem like the US is in a hurry to fulfull that promise. Does it?

Though it's lost favor since Nixon's time, I'm a big an of "linkage" with respect to foreign relations. Trump however has taken it to a whole 'nother level and it smells more like extortion now.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Some how I’m not surprised guess he realized the gop weren’t going to let him get away with it

or maybe the worsening economic situation in the USA, using tarif's as a weapon can backfire.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, james 55555 said:

Trump is doing what he promised the electorate, trying to keep illegals from entering the USA.. 135,00 in this last month of May..How many of them were drug pushers, rapists, murderers,pimps. sex slave traders?  Nobody knows.. So let them all apply for visas legally like hundreds of thousands of other non Americans.

What exactly has he done? He had the House, The Senate, and The Presidency for two straight years and did not secure funding for The Wall. He has instituted severely harsh and unnecessarily cruel detention policies for legal asylum seekers thus forcing more to attempt more illegal entries. We consequently know even less about how many entering than we did before. His policies may well have *increased* illegal immigrants entering and working illegally—exactly what exploitative capitalists want.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Anyone who believes in a "deep state" is a hopeless Trump minion who'll defy logic to support the orange baboon.

Brilliant deeply analytical response. Brennan 's security clearance was ordered long ago Why hasn't it been implemented? As I wrote above I don't support everything that Trump does and am definitely not a minion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I'm confused. Barely 10 days ago trump said tariffs on Mexico would make us rich, bring back jobs and stop drugs.

And then he folds like a cheap lawn chair in the fall; leaving us with no money, no jobs and plenty of drugs?

Amazing.........isn't a word I'd use to describe trump.

One assumes he slept through Econ101 at Fordham?

Trump Says Companies Will Move From Mexico If He Imposes Tariffs

President Donald Trump said that if he imposes tariffs on Mexico, companies will leave that country to avoid paying them and relocate to the U.S.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-31/trump-says-companies-will-move-from-mexico-if-he-imposes-tariffs

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Trade and access to markets are a big stick that can be waved around by big trading blocks/countries instead of armed forces to get what they want. The US is not doing anything that the EU, China or India and others do all the time as well. Surprised they didn't do it more before now and the EU are the masters of this one. Whether you like Trump or not the message has been sent that other places should not think they have unrestrained access to the US market no matter what happens or how they behave. China and a couple other countries will try to just wait-it-out till the next president gets in and he/she will probably be an easy roll-over democrat on trade, but if Trump gets a second term then some trade compromises will be made swiftly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Really? Where does it say that?

May I refer you to table 2 Illegal alien population by Country of birth 2010 2015. There are the top 10 countries listed with figures. None of those is Canada.

On further inspection, I can see where you were confused. Fig 3 shows illegal aliens from Mexico as highest , then other North America (which you could presume to be Canada). But there is no listing for Central America - it appears the figures for El Salvador, Guatamala and Honduras were included in Other N.A.

I think you're right. My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

He called off the tariffs because Mexico capitulated 

Geeze... 

To conclude that you must have read what the signed agreement is. Please post a copy here so we can decide who capitulated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

After a perusal of all of the  above  comment and opinion I think I have now  formed my own.

Trump  backed away as a result of  some apparently wiser words  than those originally pronounced as POTUS.

Mexico ,in conjunction with its southern neighbors,  has long called for and been awaiting economic development funding as  promised  by the USA.

Mexico has also counted on that to retain those "illegals" in southern Mexico in particular as part of an economic development strategy.

Without the funding to enable that it has simply more or less allowed passage up to the Mexico/US  border.

Most likely is that with US manufacturers objecting vociferously at the  effect tariffs would have the Mexican negotiators  have succeeded in a reiteration of the promise of  funding, whilst agreeing to  stop/slow the flow of asylum seekers to the north ,which gives them and it's southern neighbors mutual purpose to do so.

The agreed strategy of returning asylum seekers to the Mexican side waiting for acceptance may, in the longer term rather than the short , assist to deter a high percentage of those who will risk the  journey if an acceptable alternative is provided.

The crucial  factor will be in the  implementation of funding. There will of course be those  who would object to the US donating money outside it's borders  but that should be considered part an economic  equation that compares the claimed negative impact of illegals on the US as it has been claimed to date.

Perhaps there will be no need for a wall which  in real terms  would have little impact on illegal migration?

The  redirected expense of that wall into a long term solution has the promise of a much more humanitarian outcome all round.

If so Mexico has succeeded in a win that Trump no doubt will try claim as his own.

I wonder did  he  ever consider NAFTA in his misconceived outburst?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

What’s happening is that the world is getting accustomed to Trump’s capriciousness: threats accompanied by vague demands, followed by temporary lifting of those threats in exchange for vague promises with no benchmark to measure progress, leaving Trump as the final arbiter of whether something something has been something something by someone somewhere somehow at some point in the somewhat future. MAGA!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1