Taxi driver: "I didn't mean to attack two Korean tourists - they wanted the meter on"

rooster59

Taxi driver: "I didn't mean to attack two Korean tourists - they wanted the meter on"

kor.JPG

Image: Daily News

A taxi driver told police in Bangkok that he never intended to attack two South Korean women with an iron bar. 

They wanted him to turn the meter on, he explained, and so he got cross. 

Thanadech Thanathirapong, 51, was meant to take the ladies - who had been drinking - from a Rachada shop to Samut Prakarn on Monday. Instead of doing that he took them to a quiet soi off the route  - Viphawadee Rangsit 8 - and attacked them. 

He took their Samsung smart phones worth collectively more than 50,000 baht and left them battered and bruised. He later sold the phones in  Huay Kwang for 5,000 baht each. 

A member of the public helped the victims and police were able to make an arrest within three days at Thanadaech's room in Inthamara 3 in Phayathai district. 

The driver denied that he planned the attack saying he was angry that they wanted him to turn on the meter.

Yesterday the victims presented flowers to the police in appreciation of the quick arrest. They said their wounds were now healing and they felt much better - especially knowing their assailant was in custody.

They felt lucky as their injuries could have been a lot worse. 

Pol Maj-Gen Samran Nuanma thanked the good Samaritan who helped the ladies and the police and advised the public and tourists that 191 was the number to call 24 hours. 

Meanwhile it has emerged that this was not the first time Thanadech had stolen from a passenger. 

In a previous incident in Phrapradaeng he fooled a passenger into giving him a push before driving off with 200,000 baht in valuable that the passenger had left in the car. 

Sources: Daily News and Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-08

kor3.JPG

kor1.JPG

kor2.JPG

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

In a previous incident in Phrapradaeng he fooled a passenger into giving him a push before driving off with 200,000 baht in valuable that the passenger had left in the car. 

I remember that story. The honest taxi driver who "returned" the 200 000.....

19 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Can someone pls post his plate? I wana keep it for ref. Ill beat the living hell out of him because he makes me angry! 

Settle down internet tough guy.

However, stories like this are why people favored Uber so much, yet the taxi Mafia wouldn't have it. Until they start policing their own, we'll keep seeing stories like this 

They wanted him to turn the meter on !!!

Outrageous.

That poor taxi driver. I think I'll start a go fund me page for him . If I can raise enough  might be able to buy him a brain.

42 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

No doubt he didn't mean to do that either.

His foot slipped off the clutch.

How do people convicted of theft from passengers manage to keep their taxi licence, so as to be able to do it again? Unbelievably poor excuse that he was angry because they wanted the meter on. Everyone wants the meter on. Not doing so is just further proof of his total dishonesty, and the reason why if and when he gets out of prison, that he is never allowed to drive a public vehicle again.

Just now, riclag said:

Ban him from ever driving a taxi!

Reposes  his taxi and sell it to help pay for damages and medical cost incurred by the ladies.

Most taxi drivers in BKK are renters of the cars, not owners.   

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

There's no accounting for stupid and this looks like a prime example of the 'thick as a brick syndrome'. 

Using the fact that he was breaking the law as an excuse, he ought to get double the punishment for stupidity.

In Manila and Davao I always have taxi problems but not in Cebu. In Bangkok and Chiang Mai I sometimes get taxi problems but not in Nonthaburi. So I feel it is a big city problem.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Wait for it! A taxi driver has been praised for returning 2 million baht left in his taxi by a Chinese tourist. I love a balanced country!

I guess all countries are well balanced then....seeing as there's good and bad in them all.

Disgusting Vile animal.., hope they sell his taxi off to pay for 2 new replacement smartphones, private hospital treatment for the ladies and throw him in the slammer for a few years... leopard ???? don’t change his spots as they say... blatant knock merchant...

I am so sorry. I am possessed by an evil spirit named Poolsawat. Sometimes Pooly gets a hold of my very small mind, and makes me do terrible things. I barely recall a thing. 

Beating up two women with an iron club? Are you kidding me? He deserves to be put to death. He does not deserve the oxygen he breathes. No doubt, his mother (who is partially responsible for her son's crimes) told him once too often how special he was. 

What is the lesson here? Twofold. One. Always discuss the meter before getting into the taxi. Two. If being attacked by a crazed taxi driver, if you have a chance to gouge out his eyes, or lodge a pen into his neck, go for it!! Society will be the better for it. 

Archived