Taxi driver: "I didn't mean to attack two Korean tourists - they wanted the meter on"

rooster59

Meanwhile, these to Korean girls will go home and spread the story far and wide. Korean visitors will make their own minds up in future whether to come to Thailand or not.

The 'cross' taxi driver has contributed to the shame of Thailand! Let's hope he gets a more serious punishment than a fine.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bristolgeoff said:

He got caught not using a meter,they should have refused the ride and not got in.if I take a taxi  he says no meter I say move on and wait for one who uses the meter.the only way to go in Thailand,or use grab which many use now and they are losing the battle over that too

Yes, but you're a big tough clever armchair critic.

These girls look young enough not to know how Thailand works......

7 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

If I flag a taxi and he winds down the window to ask where I want to go I don’t tell him but wave him on. Guaranteed he’ll whine about traffic or try to give me an inflated price. If I’m already in the car and he then gives me a price instead of turning on the meter I just get out. If he relents and says he’ll use the meter I get out anyway.

hope you do not get bashed up by some stupid taxi driver who had got up on the wrong side of the bed that day,

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

Meanwhile, these to Korean girls will go home and spread the story far and wide. Korean visitors will make their own minds up in future whether to come to Thailand or not.

USA had over 307 mass shootings in 2018 and their tourist numbers are #3 in the world.  I guess spreading the story far and wide did not hit home for people who take their holidays in the USA.

I would rather be chased after with an iron bar than shot at with an AR15

On 6/8/2019 at 9:27 AM, Pilotman said:

There's no accounting for stupid and this looks like a prime example of the 'thick as a brick syndrome'. 

Agree and seems that this driver didn't think about how easy it would be to get caught.

In cases like this I often wonder how well informed people are.

Example: for many years I taught bachelor and masters program in English in Bkk, most classes 70% thai, 30% european students. Invariably the foreign exchange students would ask things like 'why don't cars stop at marked / signed pedestrian crossings. The usual quick responses from the Thai students:

- 'There are no traffic laws, it's up to you'.

- 'People in cars are more important so pedestrians have to wait'. And 'drivers are allowed to threaten people who don't respect them'. 

- 'The white lines are painted on the road just to make road look more profesional but have no meaning'.

- The most telling, one student called her uncle, a senior cop, his response was 'the law says all vehicles must stop when people start walking across a marked pedestrian crossing and must wait until everybody has stepped onto the opposite pavement, but If I see people stopping the flow of traffic I will punish them'.

Combines with this, many times, for various reasons other professors and myself asked the Thai students:

1. - How many people read printed or on-line Thai newspapers regularly? - None.
  2. - How many people watch a TV news service regularly - None 
  3. - To both questions above always some comment that both of these things actually don't exist, plus comments like 'they are illegal and should be'.
  4.  - What's the major stories in the news right now? No answers.
  5.  - What do you think about the ship that sunk near Phuket and 49 tourists drowned? - Blank looks, then 2 of the German exchange students explained the whole story. Thai students basically not interested. 
  6.  - How many people look at news items on fb or Twitter? - 99% of the students said they ignore these items because they are boring. One girl said she only looks at the item if there's a photo of a pretty girl or a handsome boy.

22 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Agree and seems that this driver didn't think about how easy it would be to get caught.

In cases like this I often wonder how well informed people are.

Example: for many years I taught bachelor and masters program in English in Bkk, most classes 70% thai, 30% european students. Invariably the foreign exchange students would ask things like 'why don't cars stop at marked / signed pedestrian crossings. The usual quick responses from the Thai students:

- 'There are no traffic laws, it's up to you'.

- 'People in cars are more important so pedestrians have to wait'. And 'drivers are allowed to threaten people who don't respect them'. 

- 'The white lines are painted on the road just to make road look more profesional but have no meaning'.

- The most telling, one student called her uncle, a senior cop, his response was 'the law says all vehicles must stop when people start walking across a marked pedestrian crossing and must wait until everybody has stepped onto the opposite pavement, but If I see people stopping the flow of traffic I will punish them'.

Combines with this, many times, for various reasons other professors and myself asked the Thai students:

1. - How many people read printed or on-line Thai newspapers regularly? - None.
  2. - How many people watch a TV news service regularly - None 
  3. - To both questions above always some comment that both of these things actually don't exist, plus comments like 'they are illegal and should be'.
  4.  - What's the major stories in the news right now? No answers.
  5.  - What do you think about the ship that sunk near Phuket and 49 tourists drowned? - Blank looks, then 2 of the German exchange students explained the whole story. Thai students basically not interested. 
  6.  - How many people look at news items on fb or Twitter? - 99% of the students said they ignore these items because they are boring. One girl said she only looks at the item if there's a photo of a pretty girl or a handsome boy.

I guess that we accept that we are dealing with an unsophisticated third world mentality.  The Thais are generally poorly educated and lack, how can I put this sensitively, a National trait of perspective and judgement. I have said before that they seem to me to be almost a child like people, with all the distorted thinking, blinkered approach to others and lack of social sophistication of a poorly educated teenager.  I have seen this in other less developed countries,  but also in the west among certain sections of society, for example., in road rage attacks, mass shootings, anti social behaviour in sports fans and on the streets of big cities at the weekend etc.    Maybe at the end of the day its just a very human condition among a great many of the world's population.  I am no anthropologist, but I wonder if there is any academic research that has studied this area? Maybe its too sensitive a subject for academics to even try to study, due to what could be seen as racist overtones.        

driver isnt smart enough to just say he decided to rob them. he added/injected another violation by admitting he didnt use the meter. then believing that would get him sympathy and justify robbing them.

dont hold your breath for any nobel prizes in this country

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:38 AM, unamazedloso said:

Can someone pls post his plate? I wana keep it for ref. Ill beat the living hell out of him because he makes me angry!

Iron bar, seriously? Firing squad!! 

Most taxis are rented out to different driver by co-operatives, how would you know that your kicking sh1t out of the right one, keyboard hard man?

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, shady86 said:
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:42 AM, scorecard said:
So what punishment did the taxi driver get?

Wai and 500B fine. Thats the standard punishment for them.

That's not the 'standard punishment' but it sure is a standard well-worn Thaivisa posters' response.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:39 PM, Radar501 said:

The meter was ON.

idiot meter.PNG

AHAHAH!  I didn't mean to attack them...it's just my human Thai Nature...wait for it...let me give you a Wai, you feel better already.  See it never happened. 

In Thailand in thailand..no justice in Thailand.                                        In Thailand in thailand..no health n safety in Thailand.                           In Thailand in thailand..no food hygene in Thailand.                          In Thailand in thailand..no road safety in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What's an illegal taxi in Bangkok that there are thousands of?

it's a stealth taxi;
It looks like a taxi, even garish colors, it has even a "meter" but it is not registered in the official list of Bangkok taxis and their drivers systematically refuse to put the "meter".

18 hours ago, emptypockets said:

That might explain some of your posts. 

I sincerely hope you come to term with your possession. 

I have no experience with this phenomenon apart from watching the Exorcist in 1973.

May your God with you in this troubling time.

Perhaps you have heard of a very strange thing called humor, or sarcasm? 

On 6/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, anterian said:

In Manila and Davao I always have taxi problems but not in Cebu. In Bangkok and Chiang Mai I sometimes get taxi problems but not in Nonthaburi. So I feel it is a big city problem.

According you, there are no bad people outside the big cities? We better all go live outside the big cities then, so we won't face any crime 555

1 hour ago, meshborg said:

In Thailand in thailand..no justice in Thailand.                                        In Thailand in thailand..no health n safety in Thailand.                           In Thailand in thailand..no food hygene in Thailand.                          In Thailand in thailand..no road safety in Thailand.

You better go back go back to wherever you came from came from 555

On 6/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, rooster59 said:

The driver denied that he planned the attack saying he was angry that they wanted him to turn on the meter.

Firstly he should be charged for not turning on the meter. Secondly he should be charged for attacking the women. Thirdly for robbing the girls. Fourthly for selling stolen ware and last for lying about the fact that he planned to attack them, since when you start driving them to a quiet soi it is already premeditated. 

This is all from the fact that he should never be allowed to any job with public contact after his first crime (probably not even his first, but his first arrest!).

He should NEVER be allowed to work in any job which requires contact with public people, after he spends at least 5 to 10 years in prison.

But in reality, most likely he will get a slap on the wrist and is back in his taxi before the end of this month. 

Now that he has explained that he had s very reason for attack which was completely unintentional, it is clear that he should be excused the customary 500 baht fine for brutal assault and battery with a deadly weapon and robbery of two defenseless foreign women. Naturally he should be allowed to go back to work immediately, just like the last time.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:14 PM, darksidedog said:

How do people convicted of theft from passengers manage to keep their taxi licence, so as to be able to do it again? Unbelievably poor excuse that he was angry because they wanted the meter on. Everyone wants the meter on. Not doing so is just further proof of his total dishonesty, and the reason why if and when he gets out of prison, that he is never allowed to drive a public vehicle again.

No problem, if the victims are foreigners.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:46 PM, Vacuum said:

Is this not the reason why the meter is there in the first place?

<deleted> you Thailand......your taxi drivers think that they can screw passengers...YOUR meter should be on and IF it is not, then you will done away with.

Just now, TMNH said:

<deleted> you Thailand......your taxi drivers think that they can screw passengers...YOUR meter should be on and IF it is not, then you will done away with.

very simple....we do not like you ????

Go engage in another occupation because "now' , your greed, lack of common sense, etc. puts you in a class of idiots. Obviously, your lack of education led you to this point..Taxi driver- attempting to screw tourists. Great life Thai mother-<deleted>. I don't like you and many others who experienced your grifting despise you and others. So....to all of those grifter taxis, go <deleted> yourself. Your lack of intelligence and even more so your greedy attitude makes me laugh. Emphasis on lack of intelligence AND the issue of males beating their women. And "if" I encountered such, I would beat the abuser to a pulp.

Here is why?  today in the Bangkok Post had a story on the case. The police charged him with 4 infraction none had to do with what he did with the women.

To get the exact charges you will need to look up the article yourself but if memories serve me correct one was not turning on the meter, operating ten years without a valid license, can't remember the other two maybe one of them was picking his nose/toe or something like that?

The police the system is at fault here no real enforcement which is attributed to many of the biggest problems here in Thailand. The continuing belief " the honour system " is going to work.

Thailand is a great place to live in spite of the trash in some people but in reality, the Government is a failed State!

Archived