Truevisions

EL159

Anyone know whats going on right now with True? I had a call yesterday to come to my house to make some "technical change" to the system. Someone I know said its to do with a change of satellite and they have to replace the thing that receives the signal on the dish? Any info appreciated?

Got a message on the tv the other day, not sure if it only relates to those who have a satellite dish ( I have via internet ).
As you said sounds like they will visit to make a change to the dish and update something on the box .

If you had a call then without a doubt you will receive a visit, before the end of the month I think .
Myself, will enquire at True shop as to whether or not it applies to me.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:21 AM, KhunKenAP said:

They are changing over to a new satellite.

New satellite position ??    or same position just new satellite ?   in other words did they re-point the dish ?

Thaicom is moving the True Vision transmission from the THaicom-5 satellite to the new Thaicom-8 satellite .  The change expands the available input frequencies from 12.25=12.75 GHz to 10.70-12.75GHz, i assume that this change will allow True to add additional channels.  The expansion of the input frequency range requires True to expand the output frequency range, from 950-1450MHz to 950-2150MHz, and LO frequency, from 11.3GHz to 9075/10.6GHz, of the LNB, the thingy mounted on your antenna.  I had two boxes updated and the LNB changed yesterday.  It took about 30 minutes.  First they download new software using the old LNB, it takes about 10 minutes.  When the software is finished downloading you can not connect to any channel.  They then replace the LNB on the antenna and all's back to normal, or abnormal when dealing with True.

i understand that the change will allow the set top box to receive from either satellite but when they switch over  satellites, scheduled for August,  it will not work.  So this change allows a smooth transition to the new satellite without loss of signal.  When they switch to the new satellite it will not work properly, or at all, with the old software or LNB.

19 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

Just for sake of asking? Does this change affect anyone using similar systems such as PSI or GMM Grammy boxes? Or is this a Truevisions deal only?

True Visions only unless you are contacted by your satellite provider.. I don't think the Thaicom is decommissioning the Thaicom-5 satellite but they are expanding their ability to provide coverage.  The Thaicom-5 satellite has 10 "C" band and 14 "KU" band transponders.  The new Tahaicom-8 only has "KU" band transponders, 24 in total.

Just now, wayned said:

True Visions only unless you are contacted by your satellite provider.. I don't think the Thaicom is decommissioning the Thaicom-5 satellite but they are expanding their ability to provide coverage.  The Thaicom-5 satellite has 10 "C" band and 14 "KU" band transponders.  The new Tahaicom-8 only has "KU" band transponders, 24 in total.

Great thanks for the info

Just for yr info for those having purchased their own True dish & decoder box but are NO longer monthly subscribers. Truevisions advise that there would be a THB 300 service fee and then advised me of the details of their local contractor of whom will also charge a small installation fee.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, SuperKingPasante said:

Did TrueVisions replace any satellite dish cable in attic? LNB upgrade only outside the house?

On 6/13/2019 at 2:17 AM, wayned said:

Thaicom is moving the True Vision transmission from the THaicom-5 satellite to the new Thaicom-8 satellite .  The change expands the available input frequencies from 12.25=12.75 GHz to 10.70-12.75GHz, i assume that this change will allow True to add additional channels.  The expansion of the input frequency range requires True to expand the output frequency range, from 950-1450MHz to 950-2150MHz, and LO frequency, from 11.3GHz to 9075/10.6GHz, of the LNB, the thingy mounted on your antenna.  I had two boxes updated and the LNB changed yesterday.  It took about 30 minutes.  First they download new software using the old LNB, it takes about 10 minutes.  When the software is finished downloading you can not connect to any channel.  They then replace the LNB on the antenna and all's back to normal, or abnormal when dealing with True.

i understand that the change will allow the set top box to receive from either satellite but when they switch over  satellites, scheduled for August,  it will not work.  So this change allows a smooth transition to the new satellite without loss of signal.  When they switch to the new satellite it will not work properly, or at all, with the old software or LNB.

Did TrueVisions replace any satellite dish cable in the attic? LNB upgrade only at satellite dish outside house?

28 minutes ago, SuperKingPasante said:

Did TrueVisions replace any satellite dish cable in the attic? LNB upgrade only at satellite dish outside house?

They download the new software using the old LNB.  When activated, unplug box and plug back in, the new software will not work with the old LNB. They then replace the old lNB with a new LNB.  they don not replace any wiring at all and the satellite dish position remains the same as the new Thaicom-8 satellite is in the same orbit, 78.5 degrees east, as the Thaicom-5 satellite.

8 hours ago, wayned said:

They download the new software using the old LNB.  When activated, unplug box and plug back in, the new software will not work with the old LNB. They then replace the old lNB with a new LNB.  they don not replace any wiring at all and the satellite dish position remains the same as the new Thaicom-8 satellite is in the same orbit, 78.5 degrees east, as the Thaicom-5 satellite.

Thanks for helping me with my questions. Have a good day.

4 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Maybe a coincidence. I have had 4 thunder and lightening storms at my house since the LNB was changed and have never lost the signal. Weird since before, the mere hint of rain would cause a signal drop.

It's been hot and dry as a bone here so I have no "rain fade" situation in a while.  It would be nice if they somehow improved the problem, but they only increased the frequency range   and changed local oscillator frequency.  KU band is susceptible to rain fade so I don't see how they could have fixed the problem, but if they did that's great.

Rain fade also effects the uplink as well as downlink....the only thing a customer can do is install a bigger dish but even then the signal level during a heavy tropical rainstorm would drop very low....in the analogue days you would get "sparklies" that got worse and worse until there was no picture left just "sparklies" or noise....now its digital and there is a very narrow window between having a lovely picture,lots of blocking and freezing...then nothing.

I had lots of problems with spiders building a nest in the wave guide tube that leads to the LNB. If you have a C/Ku band dish you will have a similar tube....for the small KU band dishes maybe check that the plastic cover on the front of the LNB hasn't degraded due to sun UV it could be letting in water.

Archived