Fix a dash cam and get a 20,000 baht prize! New idea to shame (and prosecute) nutty Thai drivers

rooster59

On 6/8/2019 at 11:52 AM, rooster59 said:

The head of Thailand's anti-drink driving foundation is encouraging motorists to install dash cams and post pictures of appalling Thai driving. 

I'd love to but didn't I read just a couple of weeks ago that if you post a video of 'appalling Thai driving' that shows a license plate, then you are a criminal?  Pretty sure I did.    

They are going to have to get their poo all in one sock if they want to implement this.  Great idea if the cops would follow up and do something.  Shame won't work.  Massive fines and impounding vehicles might.  But it will never happen.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:52 AM, rooster59 said:

Dr Thaejing said that he would prefer motorists to post on their own Facebook pages. His staff will then look through social media to find the best and most popular ones and ask your permission to put on Car Camera Club. 

That's because the Facebook page owner will get sued for defamation instead of Dr Thaejing.

It will never, ever work.  Not in this legal system.

They do this in China , People deliberately go out and drive badly, so other drivers swerve around them to miss them,  Or give them a wide berth. then post the video of the car trying to avoid them, You dont get a full picture of the incident. Or the build up . Then the person swerving receives a fine through the post and the person who more or less set the other drive up gets a reward,

During the French colonial days, French authorities wanted to shore up the growing rat problem in Vietnam and so put together a program saying "you'll get these many francs for each rat you can prove you killed."

What was the result? Vietnamese made a nice income by raising rats and killing them.

People generally aren't good at considering what sort of behavior their ideas incentivize.

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 6:37 PM, ocddave said:

Defamation would be a "false" claim, I think video would prove it wasn't false.

Are you quoting from Thai Law as I was under the impression that you could still be prosecuted for Criminal Defamation even if the facts were true.

I thought that was why some of  the well known activists had come unstuck.

Archived