Immigration chief "not worried about himself" as Thailand faces corruption investigation over biometrics plan

rooster59

20 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Maybe, this is why "Big Joke" was sacked and moved into the PM's office, because he had found out what had been happening for the year before he took up office as immigration leader that he was seen as a threat to the PM and his submarines that he had to be moved to a place where he could be controlled and not allowed out into the media area anymore.

But has he been moved into the PM's office?  One day of photos of him there, a sudden holiday, and then nothing that I know of.

I hope he is not being badly treated, with a shaven head, like others who have caused someone anger.

27 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Maybe, this is why "Big Joke" was sacked and moved into the PM's office, because he had found out what had been happening for the year before he took up office as immigration leader that he was seen as a threat to the PM and his submarines that he had to be moved to a place where he could be controlled and not allowed out into the media area anymore.

Big Joke would never have been put into the positions he’s been in if he wasn’t corrupt. You don’t get the top positions in Thailand by being honest and having integrity. Quite the opposite. 

3 hours ago, petedk said:

It was probably a new Rabbit card or something. Not an ordinary ticket.

Was the letter registered or EMS? I know Thais also have to show IDs when they send parcels, but not sure about registered letters.

Doesn't matter whether it was a Rabbit card or not. I originate from London, where a passport is not required to buy any train ticket. Why should it be? As for whether it was registered or EMS, it doesn't matter. I originate from London, where a passport is not required to post any letter. Why should it be? I understand rules have been introduced as a safeguard against money laundering, but as usual in Thailand there is a total lack of common sense. Anyone wishing to launder money isn't going to do it via BTS or EMS.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:06 PM, worgeordie said:

Why is corruption always found out after contracts are signed,

and goods delivered,I would have thought with corruption endemic

here,the NACC (if they were doing their job), would look with a 

microscope at all Government purchases, maybe Google could

help them.....How much are  fingerprinting and facial recognition

equipments.

regards worgeordie

About as affective as ASIC in Australia. Waste of government money.

6 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Aren’t biometrics built into most passport chips these days? 

Yes, but Australia require new biometrics fir every visa application. Their storage discs must not be able to retrieve the last one even after 3 months.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

I cannot as yet pay my electricity bill online neither can I pay the water and trash collections on line. The water bill is usually around 80 baht and the trash bill is 30 baht

You must live in a hi-so area. They, being electricity, water and garbage come to our house every month to collect it.

Bearing in mind stuff like this takes a couple of years to work out its unlikely that even BJ was involved as it would have been before his time. Doesn't stop Thaigeezer tinfoil hat stuff though does it!

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Yes, but Australia require new biometrics fir every visa application. Their storage discs must not be able to retrieve the last one even after 3 months.

Biometric data is a tiny tiny amount of data.  Takes up next to no space, so the storage can be online and available for many many years - in fact decades; that's the whole point of it.

So you really think the Aussie authorities should say "no worries mate, you got a visa here before, you're fine - nothing will have changed mate" or should they take biometrics again to improve their database?

The UK requires new biometrics for every visa application, as does pretty much every other country on earth.  The more data they collect the more accurate and reliable it becomes.

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Er, no.

In place in dozens of countries, Thailand now implementing as are many other countries.  No one is claiming to be leader in this.

Maybe I should have said a claim of "Hub" status coming then? ????

On 6/8/2019 at 12:28 PM, rooster59 said:

the good name of immigration in the work they do to keep Thailand safe. 

By bashing old men; enforced robbing of pensions; exorbitant & soon-to-be compulsory health insurance.  This equates to the Thai military buying subs/armoured cars to keep Thailand safe from the gathering army of Khmers whilst allowing the Chinese Fifth column to take over from within.

15 hours ago, rkidlad said:

You don’t get the top positions in Thailand by being honest and having integrity.

The general who propelled his meteoric rise is the living embodiment of this truism. 

14 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

You must live in a hi-so area. They, being electricity, water and garbage come to our house every month to collect it.

You are also hi-so, in my area we don't even have a garbage collection, I have to take my bin bags to the next town and put them in the garbage bins (we apparently pay for the right to do so according to the missus)

On 6/8/2019 at 1:30 PM, ezzra said:

i'm asked to show a copy of my passport when paying a phone bill, what's up with that comrade Stalin?...

Since only fully paid-up members of the Communist Party were allowed to have a phone line, I thought the answer was rather obvious, no?

17 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Biometric data is a tiny tiny amount of data.  Takes up next to no space, so the storage can be online and available for many many years - in fact decades; that's the whole point of it.

So you really think the Aussie authorities should say "no worries mate, you got a visa here before, you're fine - nothing will have changed mate" or should they take biometrics again to improve their database?

The UK requires new biometrics for every visa application, as does pretty much every other country on earth.  The more data they collect the more accurate and reliable it becomes.

My post was being sarcastic in case you missed it.

The photo in the passport does not change on every visa entry, they first check the passport against the biometric photo even though nothing has changed.. The wife has never had to scan fingerprints when entering Australia.

It is just another way of governments being bossy and lazy.

On 6/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, peterb17 said:

Aren’t biometrics built into most passport chips these days? 

Smart chips are not biometrics - just readable data of what is already in the passport.

I think you need to learn what biometrics is - facial recognition by computers and addressing fingerprint data.

20 hours ago, soalbundy said:

They said nothing about watches either

Watches? - What watches?

You mean flashy expensive ones that are sold with guarantees - and the companies keep records of sales so they can service them and look after them in the future?

On 6/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, Russell17au said:

Given the time-frame of investigating the possibility of biometrics, considering it's cost, discussions with prospective tenderers, awarding contracts, It is impossible that the Chief of Immigration would not be across any of this.

It is impossible to disassociate BJ's sudden shift with his successor now saying "Nothing to see folks - move right along" and the deafening silence surrounding BJ.

Please, don´t make dirt on this great man. He arrested more then 2.000 criminals during 14 days in the northeast. Working 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, gives 20 arrests every hour! All to make Thailand a safe country to live in.

Imageing him going to Chon Buri province ????

Erm, by the way, has anyone decent information about the contracting company, the terms of the contract, how it came to a contract with this specific company, ...anything relevant concerning this 'deal'? Thank you!

Archived