Flower seeds - where to find a good variety in CM?

connda

I've been trying to find flower seeds for growing my own starts.  Often I can find a rack in places like Tesco or BigC but was looking yesterday and no luck.  I also checked a number of nurseries behind Tesco in Chiang Mai and also the ones I know in Lamphun.  They all have grown starts that they sell but that isn't want I want.  I want to grow my own.  Ask for flower seeds (met dawk mai - and I know the correct pronunciation) and I get basically "mai mee" but then shown their own potted starts.  

Anybody know?  In my own village it's been easy to find veggie seed - but flower seeds?  Rare as hen's teeth.  

Fyi.  I have a method to my madness here.  Wife and I have about 1/3 of a rai.  I'm getting tired of seeing that turn into a jungle of miscellaneous weeds, brambles, and vines every year.  This year I've started off by putting down a limited amount of grass, basically to learn from my mistakes, but I'd like to also start making the garden (suan) an actual garden of both veggies and flowers and shrubs in an effort to crowd out the jungle junk that I don't want. It would be nice to see the annuals toss enough seed every year to crowd out the weeds.   

You are right packets of flower seeds are rare and those you do find in tesco and Global are generally veggies like kale and fukthong.

I think the best way, because I do it is to go and buy a dozen marigolds, petunias pansies from khamthieng and when they start to die just collect all tge seed heads.

One marigold flower gives 50 new plants and they need no attention.

Suppose you need to check out whats for sale...but its not the season for all i mentioned, you will not find at khamthieng until after sept.

Most annuals sold nowadays are hybrids and the seeds will not reproduce true.  You'll still get a marigold but what was probably a nice, petite marigold mother will produce seeds that are tall and lanky.

Maybe need to investigate some plants that reproduce by underground runners or ornamental perennials that are often grown as annuals, but would be year-round plants here, like impatiens, coleus, wax begonia, etc.  

A little internet research will help.

Archived