Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Beef pies


Recommended Posts

Hi to everyone, I am trying to find out whether or not Tops supermarkets in the larger shopping center's stock Beef pies, I have been able to get some pies and sausage rolls from my local tops in Mukdahan, if I knew that some of the larger shops have them, then I can get my local shop to order some for me. Up until early this year I could buy them through the online shop "Delishop" which has since closed. Alternatively, if any body knows of another source it would be appreciated, keep in mind I am in Mukdahan and any goods would have to be shipped by private couriers. I am not fussed whether English or Australian pies. Photos attached of what I can get here now.

Cheers

20190607_110800.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 3:43 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

Alternatively, if any body knows of another source it would be appreciated, keep in mind I am in Mukdahan and any goods would have to be shipped by private couriers. I am not fussed whether English or Australian pies. Photos attached of what I can get here now.

You could google "buriram pie man" I understand he has good products and arranges delivery. Never tried them personally as l live in BKK and can get pies here locally. Just a thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, james.d said:

You could google "buriram pie man" I understand he has good products and arranges delivery. Never tried them personally as l live in BKK and can get pies here locally. Just a thought.

I use the Buriram Pie Man and his food and service is top notch, he sends my orders by bus.

 

I also use Nookies who has a big list of items, he also sends by bus.

Nookies Price List.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Isan Farang said:

I use the Buriram Pie Man and his food and service is top notch, he sends my orders by bus.

 

I also use Nookies who has a big list of items, he also sends by bus.

Nookies Price List.pdf 67.98 kB · 1 download

YES  agreed i use both of them, i can certainly recommend them, good grub, at good prices.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, james.d said:

You could google "buriram pie man" I understand he has good products and arranges delivery. Never tried them personally as l live in BKK and can get pies here locally. Just a thought.

Thanks will give Buriram pie man a go, close to me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Thanks for the info, will try Buriram pie man first as he is close to me.

FYI the Pie Man and Nookies are not far apart, I have previously driven to both locations from Ubon.

 

This is the list for Steve the Pie Man that I have.

Starfoods.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunroamin

I have the cookbook of beechworth bakery pies .I dont know where you are from but the bakery is in Bendigo and beechworth .Famous pies in the country towns of vistoria.I can post you the receipe if you can bake them

Cheers

Kevvy

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kevvy said:

Dunroamin

I have the cookbook of beechworth bakery pies .I dont know where you are from but the bakery is in Bendigo and beechworth .Famous pies in the country towns of vistoria.I can post you the receipe if you can bake them

Cheers

Kevvy

I have been to the  Beechworth bakery many times, very touristy of course but great.My dad was born there and the Ned Kelly gang had connections there way back.Brown Brothers wineries began nearby too

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kevvy said:

my mother is buried there. i use to go to beethworth bakery when it was just a small shopw with a wood oven

Great place,I still have boyhood friends living just near the Jail, last time visit about 10 yrs ago.Sadly now it’s a tourist trap.Ironic but Beechworth had a very large number of Chinese during the boom gold rush years,in fact my first girlfriend was of Chinese origin,parents had a cafe in our town.Very different to the Chinese we know today!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used Buriram Pieman (burirampieman.com) for the 10 yrs they have been operating.   Never been disappointed.

 

It is all a matter of taste when you come down to the style of pie and particularly the pastry.

 

If you have an urge for something not on the list they will endeavour to knock it up for you.   A few items on the list I claim to be responsible for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

did you know there are dungeons under the jail. And the trap door is on the second floor where they hung up to 10 prisoners a day .back in 1986 the prisoners had to go to the toilet in plastic buckets and empty them in the morning as the prison was classified by the national trust .over 2000 Chinese are buried in the cemetery.The beechworth bakery made a fortune on weekends just on people coming to the jail to visit family members in there as they were allowed to take food in and their pies sold out

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kevvy said:

Dunroamin

I have the cookbook of beechworth bakery pies .I dont know where you are from but the bakery is in Bendigo and beechworth .Famous pies in the country towns of vistoria.I can post you the receipe if you can bake them

Cheers

Kevvy

Sure, send the recipe, I do make my own from time to time, however, I just throw in what I think is right, sometimes good ,  sometimes not so good. I am going to order some products from the Buriram pie man, as he he gets a good wrap from existing clients. Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrMo said:

I've used Buriram Pieman (burirampieman.com) for the 10 yrs they have been operating.   Never been disappointed.

 

It is all a matter of taste when you come down to the style of pie and particularly the pastry.

 

If you have an urge for something not on the list they will endeavour to knock it up for you.   A few items on the list I claim to be responsible for.

Thanks for the info, cheers, I have placed an order with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet to find a pie in Chiang Mai worth a damn. I feel a craving for a Bertoldo's Bakery steak and onion pie coming on. Griffith, central NSW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 4:31 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

Thanks for the info , might give them a go. cheers

I buy the Aussie minced beef pies from Lady Pie and they are good.........and have seen them in Tops and Big C.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I buy the Aussie minced beef pies from Lady Pie and they are good.........and have seen them in Tops and Big C.

Maybe in the big cities, but not here in Mukdahan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Sure, send the recipe, I do make my own from time to time, however, I just throw in what I think is right, sometimes good ,  sometimes not so good. I am going to order some products from the Buriram pie man, as he he gets a good wrap from existing clients. Cheers

will photo copy the receipe tomorrow and send to you

Hope you enjoy it ..

Cheers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Sure, send the recipe, I do make my own from time to time, however, I just throw in what I think is right, sometimes good ,  sometimes not so good. I am going to order some products from the Buriram pie man, as he he gets a good wrap from existing clients. Cheers

DUNROAMIN

Have got a whole cook book on all their products

b.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

I fell in love with Pies (beef pies) when I was in London. You can easily make pies yourself at home. The pastry is only flour, water, salt and lard plus a little butter(20 percent butter to improve the taste).

If you want to do the lazy way like I do, you only cover the top of the pie dish so the side and bottom have no pastry. I do that because I don't want to eat too much wheat flour. I use small porcelain baking dish- just enough for one person.

Cooking the fillings, beef, onions, seasonings(bay leaf etc.,) is easy. Thicken it with starch flour for the sauce). If you are not lazy boil some bones as stock for the making the sauce. Oh, if you do that the pie tastes just simply wonderful. The secret of a good pie is in the sauce and the pastry .

The pastry I normally make crust pastry which is less troublesome. The flaky pastry will take so much time and troublesome to make.

But the crust pastry is good enough, you will love it.

If you make more and deep freeze them it would be worthwhile making.

During the early 70s' when I was in London those pies that I ate are all from factory. But they made really wonderful pies, enough meat in it and also the sauce is good quality. I don't know if you still get such quality pies today in London. Anyone eaten pies in London lately?

I am not talking about Pork Pie which is an entirely different pie. I find Pork Pie not to my taste even the crust was not good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, kevvy said:

DUNROAMIN

Have got a whole cook book on all their products

b.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

Is one cup - equivalent to 75 grams?  Why don't the united nations have a meeting and the world's nations agree on one measurement, one kind of electrical plug, (may be not possible because different country electricity voltage varies, some don't have good electricity supply -low voltage.)

If I invent a kind of plug that can be use world wide would that be popular? Or is there one available on the market now? I don't think so, I see  tourists at hotel reception asking for adapter.

You only have to carry one adapter no matter which country you go to that is the idea. Oh, we talking about beef pie. Pardon me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 7:29 PM, ylmiri said:

I fell in love with Pies (beef pies) when I was in London. You can easily make pies yourself at home. The pastry is only flour, water, salt and lard plus a little butter(20 percent butter to improve the taste).

If you want to do the lazy way like I do, you only cover the top of the pie dish so the side and bottom have no pastry. I do that because I don't want to eat too much wheat flour. I use small porcelain baking dish- just enough for one person.

Cooking the fillings, beef, onions, seasonings(bay leaf etc.,) is easy. Thicken it with starch flour for the sauce). If you are not lazy boil some bones as stock for the making the sauce. Oh, if you do that the pie tastes just simply wonderful. The secret of a good pie is in the sauce and the pastry .

The pastry I normally make crust pastry which is less troublesome. The flaky pastry will take so much time and troublesome to make.

But the crust pastry is good enough, you will love it.

If you make more and deep freeze them it would be worthwhile making.

During the early 70s' when I was in London those pies that I ate are all from factory. But they made really wonderful pies, enough meat in it and also the sauce is good quality. I don't know if you still get such quality pies today in London. Anyone eaten pies in London lately?

I am not talking about Pork Pie which is an entirely different pie. I find Pork Pie not to my taste even the crust was not good.

Thanks for thank I will give it a go. I tend to like pastry on the bottom as well, made some beef pies recently, for the top used mashed potato, baked in oven till brown. 🇦🇺✔️

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...