Child coming soon, need advice

My fiance (Thai) and I are expecting our baby girl in 4 months. I'm due to leave on a 6 months contract in two weeks off-shore (oil rig). Unfortunately, I will miss delivery etc.

To make things easier for my fiance.

1) Is there any papers I can fill out now and sign stating I'm the father etc..

2) Can my fiance goes to the Canadian Embassy to register our child assuming I pre-sign some papers?

3) is there any time limit after the baby is born to complete papers etc?

I'm from Canada and I'll contact the embassy Monday and call Citizenship Canada too but just wanted to know if someone have some experience in similar situation.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, enkiki said:

Forgot to ask... Visa wise, child will obviously be born in Thai. If we process papers in Canada, what are the things to be aware in the future. Can the child hold two citizenships?

I cannot confidently answer most of your questions, but this one is easy.

Both Thailand and Canada allow dual citizenship. Since the mother is Thai, Thai citizenship is automatic. As you are not married to the mother, I would assume care is needed to ensure the child promptly receives Canadian citizenship through you as the father. Such claims can become complicated in the future if not done promptly, especially if you became estranged from the child's mother.

• Like 1

To put the parents' names on the birth certificate the hospital takes a photocopy of both passports and also translates your non Thai passport into Thai on a separate sheet of paper, with a 'certified translation' stamp on it. There's usually a translator on site.

So if you get those three pieces of paper in advance from the hospital she'll deliver at, and she gives them to the hospital when she gives birth it should be enough. Could vary per hospital but I knew a guy who missed the birth too and the mother was told she couldn't put the father's name on the birth certificate without his ID info (implying it would've been possible if she had that even if he wasn't there).

In his case he got his name put on it over a year later. With a bit more paperwork, first had to get a certified copy of his passport from the UK embassy, then a translation of that from the ministry of foreign affairs in chaeng wattana, and finally a saliva DNA test at Ramathibodi Hospital, and then take all those to the amphur. So that's what you'll have to do if it isn't possible. Not aware of any time limit. 

• Like 2