Similarities & differences between Thais and Indonesians

Elizway

15 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I don't like the majority muslim presence in Indonesia.

Bali its okey.

Thailand better infrastructure more modern.

i rather be with Buddhist people then with muslims.

How long have you lived in Indonesia?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elizway said:

That's a nice area. What don't you like about Muslim Indonesians? 

Yes its nice location lots of big villas..They think that if you’re not a religious person than you have to be a communist?

Their culture its not my thing nowadays I don’t feel comfortable anymore living in a mostly muslim dominated Country.

In General Indonesians are very nice and their food is  good too but i don't want to live there again there are better places such as Thailand Vietnam Phillipines.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Canggu, Bali if you like surf and sand.  However, like others, nice place to visit but not a place I'd want to live.
I've got a friend who is married to a Christian Indonesian and an acquaintance from work who was there on extended company business.  The latter had a 'The Year of Living Dangerously' moment in 1998 while attempting to get his family out of the country.  Both have some rather disturbing stories about living there.  Not my cup of tea.

I have lived and worked in Thailand and Indonesia since 2003 (also HK and Singapore). My wife is Muslim Indonesian and I am UK Christian (slightly converted for a day to get married having paid the Imam a bribe to dispense with the necessities). I was staying in the Marriott when they blew it up and was opposite the Australian Embassy when they blew that up. I own properties in Jakarta, Solo and Bangkok. I have built big businesses in Indonesia. Those are my credentials ????

My wife loves Thailand because here everything is accepted. There is no-one looking at the length of your skirt, or questioning whether you wear a head scarf, whether you are 30 years younger than your husband or whether you are gay. Basically she sees Thailand as a place where anyone can live their way of living and the attitude of Thai and ex-pat residents is largely "live and let live". Remember the Indonesian Government has declared that they have no gay people in Indonesia because there is no such thing as gay - hence they can't have any. You can't teach stupid.

On top of that Thailand has the food, people (generally), shopping, BTS/MRT etc. We are lucky and own our own apartment so life is fairly easy for us I have to admit.

She dislikes Indonesia for many reasons but is also very loyal to her country and wishes so much it could be more like Thailand in the kind of ways I have described. She dislikes the corrupt politicians, civil servants and business people. She dislikes the fact that Indonesians are kept mentally brain dead through the garbage fed to them everyday on the TV (that way they accept their lot rather than aspire for more). She is frustrated that the infrastructure is crap because those in a position to do so steal all the funding. She deplores the lack of education for the many. In fact, what she hates so much could be said about Thailand too. It is just she doesn't see it as a resident in a nice Condo in Lower Suk right next to some of the best places to eat and shop in the world! Thats the difference between a part-time resident who loves being in her home and close by, and a full time inhabitant who has to face the frustrations every day. This is why it is good to make any one place just a part-time home if you can. Keep moving, that way they can't catch you ;-))

From my perspective, I refuse to live in our home in Jakarta (that is her base for her family) although I do visit sometimes. Why? - Islamic influences in the things that I value, like a nice glass of wine or a G&T. Cost of a drink is stupid now if that is important to you. Traffic - makes Thailand look like a German Autobahn on a Sunday morning. The general influence of hard line extreme Islamic folk who for political reasons under the guise of religious reasons, who lock away the one good man that has ever run the Jakarta Administration. The millions who demo because a politician has given them a free bus ride into Jakarta and a free lunch to support his cause, when they cannot read or write, let alone understand what the hell the Politician even stands for. Indonesia could be a leading nation, but it is dragged back by it's own people stealing from the ordinary folk for their own greed (yes, I know what you re going to say..). I really could go on for hours.

In Jakarta a trip to the supermarket is an all-day affair. I live 4 kms from a lovely supermarket. Hit the traffic at the wrong time, and it is a 2 hour drive. 45 minutes to find a parking lot. Finish your shopping and it is an hour long queue to get out of the car park. It is better to catch a movie and have dinner before heading home at 11.30pm in the hope that the traffic has calmed down. And the idiots on motorbikes.....give me a new thread!

The people of Indonesia in the main are nice, kindly and caring. Same as the good folk of Thailand. Each has its problem groups of course, but if I had to make a decision of where to live, it would be Thailand every single time. My wife would agree with that. Sometimes amongst all the moaning and complaining we forget just how good Thailand is today, even if it isn't the great place that many Readers would like it still to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have travelled extensively (but not lived) in both Indonesia or Thailand over the past 20 years. Indonesia is a much warmer country in terms of human interaction than Thailand but would never consider living there. My wife has lived in both East Java and Bali (she is not Indonesian or Thai) and loved it. For me, Indonesia is great to visit but not to live.

Thanks all, for your inputs. 

I was more asking about the character, cultural, behavioral similarities and differences between Thais and Indonesians...not the counties per se. 

Things like who similes more, who's friendlier, lazier...interacting with both, how are they like? Things of that sort.