Death of Thai Wife.

Humpy

In case it was not mentioned earlier:

You cannot own the land. But you can own the house.

I know a farang whose wife owns the land and he owns the house on that land.

I don't know if that will help you but you might consider your options.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Dead Thai wife can still own land, it's unlikely she will ask you to leave after her death.

Again - my uninformed american fueled paranoia comments have failed to add any insight to the TV forum. 

3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

But if foreigner cannot own land in Thailand - can the landowner tell you to move house or leave?

If your wife is the land owner, she can sign the document giving you the ability to stay in the house. 

You will not own the land. If she has children or relatives they or whomever she wills the land to will own the land but you will be able to stay as long as you wish.

Make sure the document states that no one can move in without your approval.

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

you must be one of the few guys with an older women. I couldnt do it to be honest. firm and young is the only way to go

Just brilliant... So if your wife in young does that mean she won't die young. 

I keep reading that you should treat Thailand like Las Vegas...do not spend money here you cannot afford to lose.  Yet it seems 50% of the foreign visitors are doing so anyway.  I imagine if you want to spend your golden years running to lawyer's offices and local amphoe's  to get "justice" it is a worthy use of your time. 

Thai law seems to always favor Thai people is something I have gleaned from this forum and my short permanent stay here. But sincerely wish you good luck.

Agreed, that you can't.  It's like a broken record.  But most of these guys probably never owned vinyl.  :whistling:
...you have 12 months ...

Turrets or just a stutter ![emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, paulbrow said:

But I can't own land or a house on the ground as I'm not Thai.

Not true. My wife now owns the land. I have a long standing 30 year lease (from the previous owner) on the land she now owns, and I own the house on the land. If I die first, then of course she gets the house (she is my heir). If she dies first, then maybe what others say is correct -- dead people can continue to own land. Either way, the house is in my name at the land office. My wife now owns the land because of her concern that the previous owner (developer) would cheat her out of the land. Transferring to my wife's name fixes that problem, if not others.

19 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Usafruct which on the death of your partner this will allow you to live on that land for a period of 30 years and that land cannot be sold without your knowledge and if the property is sold then the new owner has a legal obligation to honour the Usafruct

Can anyone show me this law about not selling a property without your knowledge if you have a Usufrut on it 

I've never come across it & infact they can sell without your knowledge or mortgage & ect

I'm still on a Chanote to a new owner that I wasn't aware of 

22 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You will not own the land. If she has children or relatives they or whomever she wills the land to will own the land but you will be able to stay as long as you wish.

Make sure the document states that no one can move in without your approval.

I would think the land owners could charge you as much rent as they wanted, for residing on their land.

Just like a mobile home park charges for you to set up and live on their land 

Sure, you can stay as long as you want if you can afford it.

Then if you leave, they can go about getting the house deed through some type of non-payment foreclosure deal because you have not made payments due for the land "your" house sits on

17 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I would think the land owners could charge you as much rent as they wanted, for residing on their land.

Just like a mobile home park charges for you to set up and live on their land 

Sure, you can stay as long as you want if you can afford it.

Then if you leave, they can go about getting the house deed through some type of non-payment foreclosure deal because you have not made payments due for the land "your" house sits on

There is no rent. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived