UK PM candidate Raab says suspending parliament remains a Brexit option

rooster59

UK PM candidate Raab says suspending parliament remains a Brexit option

800x800 (3).jpg

Dominic Raab MP, former Brexit Secretary appears on BBC TV's The Andrew Marr Show in London, Britain, May 26, 2019. Jeff Overs/BBC/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - Suspending parliament remains an option to ensure Britain leaves the European Union on Oct. 31, former Brexit secretary Dominic Raab said on Saturday, rejecting criticism of the measure from other Conservative leadership candidates.

Raab, who draws support from the most pro-Brexit wing of the Conservative Party, has refused to rule out suspending parliament until the Brexit deadline, if needed to prevent lawmakers from stopping a no-deal Brexit.

However he said he thought it unlikely, as parliamentary rules would made it harder for lawmakers to continue to oppose a no-deal Brexit as they had under Prime Minister Theresa May, who formally resigned as Conservative Party leader on Friday.

"I think it is very unlikely that it would be necessary," he said in a BBC interview. "It is much more difficult this time for parliament to engage in the sort of guerrilla warfare sabotage of a government that is resolved ... to leave by the end of October," he added.

Most lawmakers oppose leaving the EU without some kind of deal, and finance minister Philip Hammond told U.S. broadcaster CNBC on Saturday that he thought the chance of a no-deal Brexit was "very small".

However, there is significant pressure on leadership contenders from Conservative Party members to leave the EU by Oct. 31, after the party suffered heavy losses in European Parliament elections when voters deserted it in favour of the new Brexit Party led by veteran anti-EU campaigner Nigel Farage.

The leading contender to succeed May, former foreign secretary Boris Johnson, has ruled out proroguing or suspending parliament, and environment minister Michael Gove has said he is open to a further delay if agreement could not be reached with Brussels.

Raab said he wanted to keep all constitutional options on the table in order to pressure the EU to agree a time limit for a so-called 'backstop', that prevents border controls between Ireland and the British province of Northern Ireland.

"It's a test of nerve here, and if candidates cannot stand up their resolve to lead us out by 31st October in a leadership contest, what chance do they have under the heat of the negotiations in Brussels?" Raab said.

The EU has repeatedly refused to make any change to the withdrawal agreement it negotiated last year with May, which Britain's parliament has voted down three times.

(Reporting by David Milliken; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-09

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here we have it, the very dangerous irony of Brexit. 

All that talk of bringing back sovereignty to Parliament and here's true Brexit zealot proposing to suspend Parliament to get Brexit. 

This is nothing less than the tyranny of the ballot box.

At no time in the history of the British Parliament has a politician ever suggested a winning a vote gives him the right to suspend Parliament. 

It has however happened elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Given the recent performance of the UK parliament this needed to be said. What a bunch of tossers, on all sides.

Had it not been for Parliament, Theresa May would have signed off the deal she made, and that very few actually want. 

40 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Sad man. signed his 'no hope of being PM' death warrant.

Anybody who values the freedoms of British democracy, the rule of law and the right of the electorate to choose who governs them out to think on this and hope you are correct. 

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Anybody who values the freedoms of British democracy, the rule of law and the right of the electorate to choose who governs them out to think on this and hope you are correct. 

British democracy = ask the country what they want, then we'll ignore it and do it our way, that is British democracy.

22 minutes ago, vogie said:

British democracy = ask the country what they want, then we'll ignore it and do it our way, that is British democracy.

British democracy is by means of Parliament. 

Not some advisory plebiscite dreamed up to try and prevent a schism in the Tory party (and that didn't work anyway).

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

British democracy is by means of Parliament. 

Not some advisory plebiscite dreamed up to try and prevent a schism in the Tory party (and that didn't work anyway).

Parliament (most MPs) democratically triggered art 50 which says we will leave the European Union, they have since reneged on that decision. To get back on topic, MPs like Dominic Raab that honoured the outcome of the referendum and respected the wishes of the majority of the voting public, I have nothing but total respect for him and his ilk. He would be my first choice as a leader, but maybe because he hasn't taken drugs, his drug approval rating may be against him.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The EU has repeatedly refused to make any change to the withdrawal agreement it negotiated last year with May

Isn't it fair to say that EU refusal was justified as the British parliament never presented an agreed updated agreement for the EU to consider? All Parliament has done is reject the May-EU agreement.

In colloquial parlance - "Go fish."

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Suspect speaker John Bercow will have something to say about that .. 

He has...

"Next Tory PM will not be able to suspend parliament – Bercow"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/06/next-tory-pm-will-not-be-able-to-suspend-parliament-bercow

I recall this has been done before, and Charles 1st lost his head over it.

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And here we have it, the very dangerous irony of Brexit. 

All that talk of bringing back sovereignty to Parliament and here's true Brexit zealot proposing to suspend Parliament to get Brexit. 

This is nothing less than the tyranny of the ballot box.

At no time in the history of the British Parliament has a politician ever suggested a winning a vote gives him the right to suspend Parliament. 

It has however happened elsewhere. 

Yes, Berlin, Jan 1933. ( and about all communist states)

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Parliament (most MPs) democratically triggered art 50 which says we will leave the European Union, they have since reneged on that decision. To get back on topic, MPs like Dominic Raab that honoured the outcome of the referendum and respected the wishes of the majority of the voting public, I have nothing but total respect for him and his ilk. He would be my first choice as a leader, but maybe because he hasn't taken drugs, his drug approval rating may be against him.

"Leave".. yes, but under which conditions… nobody ever had a beginning of thought about that. Only the 48,11 % "remain" new exactly where they voted for.  Acording the British way of voting; the biggest gets all = remain gets the "government" as the "leave" are split between; no deal, May deal, Norway / Swiss solution, Canada CEPA treaty , ??? "

1 minute ago, puipuitom said:

"Leave".. yes, but under which conditions… nobody ever had a beginning of thought about that. Only the 48,11 % "remain" new exactly where they voted for.  Acording the British way of voting; the biggest gets all = remain gets the "government" as the "leave" are split between; no deal, May deal, Norway / Swiss solution, Canada CEPA treaty , ??? "

Don't you think that as the gov of the day gave the UK populous the vote on leave or remain in EU that the voting populous thought/trusted/believed the gov of the day had plans for which ever way it went.....?   ????

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

The EU has repeatedly refused to make any change to the withdrawal agreement it negotiated last year with May 

Isn't it fair to say that EU refusal was justified as the British parliament never presented an agreed updated agreement for the EU to consider? All Parliament has done is reject the May-EU agreement.

The UK wants to leave the EU, not the opposite. Then.. since 2015 a chance, since 2016 reality, lots and LOTS of talks, out of which the "May" agreement followed, being seen as the best possible compromis, also for the N + S Irish seen the Good Friday agreement. One after another option was rejected in Parliament, so ? Never any alternative with an eclatant majority ! What you Brits want ?  The time British gunboats could force the decission, lies more than a century behind us.

My opinion: throw the British out per 31 Oct, close then la Manche and the Pas de Calais for a 6 months ( no harm for the summer holidays), from today already: postpone any EU payments seen Boris the Liar's threat to ignore all UK commitments of the last years, inclusive any payments to British (ex) Members of EU parliament ( will hurt mr Farage especially, as he did not skip one meeting about the pension subject), stop any exchange under EFSA, RASFF, EMA, CE etc, and facilitate any business, which is willing to migrate to the EU.

sometimes.. somebody else takes the decissions.jpg

16 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Why are you complicating the issue, it is not difficult, the outcome is obviously not to your liking but "leave" is a very simple word and it should not confuse you, here are some of the interpretations:

1. If you leave a place or person, you go away from that place or person.

2. If you leave an institution, group, or job, you permanently stopattending that institution, being a member of that group, or doing that job.

3. If you leave your husband, wife, or some other person with whom you have had a close relationship, you stop living with them or you finish the relationship.

Nowhere does it say there must be conditions when you leave somewhere or someone.  

59 minutes ago, transam said:

Don't you think that as the gov of the day gave the UK populous the vote on leave or remain in EU that the voting populous thought/trusted/believed the gov of the day had plans for which ever way it went.....?   ????

Remind, this Brexit discussion is from decades ago, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexit. The reson why Charles de Gaulle refused the UK to join was, becasue they totally do not feel them Europeans. So, a Trojan horse... 

In MY opinion any government should make plans for any eventuality. I will not be surprized, when My Dutch gov already have a rudimentary plan for a Nexit, despite, the ONLY Dutch party who want this, the PVV, went in last EU elections from 4 ( out of the 25) seats to NONE. Not every nation wants to shoot themselves in their foot.

gambled and lost.jpg

Brexit negociations.jpg

british voting.jpg

go away - help.jpg

4 hours ago, vogie said:

To describe Raab as unpleasant, would be like describing the universe as big. Not incorrect, but it doesn't really provide a true sense of scale. Even saying he is a nasty little self-serving piece of dung is only a bit more accurate. 

However - as you correctly pointed out- he is not scoring highly on the drug confessional stakes which are clearly all the rage in the Tory party these days. The problem probably is, that no self respecting recreational chemical would be seen in his company. See below from "Newsthump"

Cocaine utterly humiliated

Cocaine has spoken out today about the utter humiliation it has suffered after newspaper revelations of its history with Michael Gove.  Cocaine was happy to admit a brief dalliance with the environment secretary in the 1990s, but insisted it was a ‘different time’ and it knows it made a massive mistake that it now regrets on a daily basis. The so-called ‘party drug’ told us, “I can only say in my defence that it was a long time ago, and we had no idea of the dangers of Michael Gove back then.

“It all seemed like a bit of harmless fun.  How was I supposed to know that it would escalate and see him calling to bring back hanging and approving bonkers creationist schools? Obviously I wouldn’t even engage with him now, but I’ve been around the block long enough to know that the damage is already done.

“Reputations simply don’t recover from things like this. I’m a laughing stock. I can only apologise and hope that people will realise I’m just a harmless recreational drug, and I in no way condone the abhorrent effects caused by Conservative politicians.”

Casual cocaine user Simon Williams told us, “I’ve always thought of a bit of toot as mostly harmless, but to learn it was happy to consort with people like Michael Gove has changed my mind completely. “I guess from now on I’ll just stick to fags and booze.”

5 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

To describe Raab as unpleasant, would be like describing the universe as big. Not incorrect, but it doesn't really provide a true sense of scale. Even saying he is a nasty little self-serving piece of dung is only a bit more accurate. 

However he is not scoring highly on the drug confessional stakes which are clearly all the rage in the Tory party these days. The problem probably is, that no self respecting recreational chemical would be seen in his company. See below from "Newsthump"

Cocaine utterly humiliated

Cocaine has spoken out today about the utter humiliation it has suffered after newspaper revelations of its history with Michael Gove.  Cocaine was happy to admit a brief dalliance with the environment secretary in the 1990s, but insisted it was a ‘different time’ and it knows it made a massive mistake that it now regrets on a daily basis. The so-called ‘party drug’ told us, “I can only say in my defence that it was a long time ago, and we had no idea of the dangers of Michael Gove back then.

“It all seemed like a bit of harmless fun.  How was I supposed to know that it would escalate and see him calling to bring back hanging and approving bonkers creationist schools? Obviously I wouldn’t even engage with him now, but I’ve been around the block long enough to know that the damage is already done.

“Reputations simply don’t recover from things like this. I’m a laughing stock. I can only apologise and hope that people will realise I’m just a harmless recreational drug, and I in no way condone the abhorrent effects caused by Conservative politicians.”

Casual cocaine user Simon Williams told us, “I’ve always thought of a bit of toot as mostly harmless, but to learn it was happy to consort with people like Michael Gove has changed my mind completely. “I guess from now on I’ll just stick to fags and booze.”

I get it, you cannot talk about anybody without using vile language, as oft you do in your posts, I would suggest it says more about you than them.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Why are you complicating the issue, it is not difficult, the outcome is obviously not to your liking but "leave" is a very simple word and it should not confuse you, here are some of the interpretations:

1. If you leave a place or person, you go away from that place or person.

2. If you leave an institution, group, or job, you permanently stopattending that institution, being a member of that group, or doing that job.

3. If you leave your husband, wife, or some other person with whom you have had a close relationship, you stop living with them or you finish the relationship.

Nowhere does it say there must be conditions when you leave somewhere or someone.  

I think the only ones complicating the issue are those that cannot accept

that you need to get a majority in parliament. So far, there is no majority in parliament for any of the options presented to parliament, so back to the drawing board it is. 

12 minutes ago, vogie said:

I get it, you cannot talk about anybody without using vile language, as oft you do in your posts, I would suggest it says more about you than them.

I think, with a bit of context, many right-thinking people might agree with Nigel. Context can be found here.

And here are some highlights of why Nigel is wholly correct in his summation of the self-serving Mr Raab:

raab1.JPG

raab2.JPG

raab3.JPG

raab4.JPG

raab5.JPG

raab6.JPG

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

British Democracy took a beating when those treacherous M.P’s 

decided to go against the expressed wishes of the electorate.

Power to the people, and if Raab thinks that his plan will guarantee our leaving this so called union,so much the better.

4C14317E-79CA-4788-B240-9084EAA4AF49.jpeg

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

More arrogance. 

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I think, with a bit of context, many right-thinking people might agree with Nigel. Context can be found here.

And here are some highlights of why Nigel is wholly correct in his summation of the self-serving Mr Raab:

raab1.JPG

raab2.JPG

raab3.JPG

raab4.JPG

raab5.JPG

raab6.JPG

When I read someones post and they have to describe a person as "dung" I really am not interested in what they have to say. You don't it, do you think it's acceptable? He feels he has to insult anybody he disagrees with.

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

The UK wants to leave the EU, not the opposite. Then.. since 2015 a chance, since 2016 reality, lots and LOTS of talks, out of which the "May" agreement followed, being seen as the best possible compromis, also for the N + S Irish seen the Good Friday agreement. One after another option was rejected in Parliament, so ? Never any alternative with an eclatant majority ! What you Brits want ?  The time British gunboats could force the decission, lies more than a century behind us.

My opinion: throw the British out per 31 Oct, close then la Manche and the Pas de Calais for a 6 months ( no harm for the summer holidays), from today already: postpone any EU payments seen Boris the Liar's threat to ignore all UK commitments of the last years, inclusive any payments to British (ex) Members of EU parliament ( will hurt mr Farage especially, as he did not skip one meeting about the pension subject), stop any exchange under EFSA, RASFF, EMA, CE etc, and facilitate any business, which is willing to migrate to the EU.

sometimes.. somebody else takes the decissions.jpg

Well we all know why the E.U do not want us to leave££££££, However that is irrelevant, as the British people voted by a majority of 1,400,000 to leave your so called union. And if you and your fellow non Brits don’t like our decision,hard luck. As you better get used to it, as we surely will not be the last to leave.

628A46AD-B6C5-4C55-9C2F-828F981D6A35.jpeg

Archived