UK PM candidate Raab says suspending parliament remains a Brexit option

rooster59

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

When I read someones post and they have to describe a person as "dung" I really am not interested in what they have to say. You don't it, do you think it's acceptable? He feels he has to insult anybody he disagrees with.

Any excuse to dismiss the point being made.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, nontabury said:

British Democracy took a beating when those treacherous M.P’s 

decided to go against the expressed wishes of the electorate.

Power to the people, and if Raab thinks that his plan will guarantee our leaving this so called union,so much the better.

4C14317E-79CA-4788-B240-9084EAA4AF49.jpeg

It’s a fair bet that at least 48% of the electorate disagree with you.

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

"Leave".. yes, but under which conditions… nobody ever had a beginning of thought about that. Only the 48,11 % "remain" new exactly where they voted for.  Acording the British way of voting; the biggest gets all = remain gets the "government" as the "leave" are split between; no deal, May deal, Norway / Swiss solution, Canada CEPA treaty , ??? "

leave means LEAVE,under what conditions?whatever,its obvious the eus not going to do us any favours,so if it means leaving under wto rules so be it,the longer this farce continues,the bigger mugs we look,and the more the pound slides down.

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Any excuse to dismiss the point being made.

In all honesty I never got to his point, when someone childishly calls someone he doesn't like "dung" strangely I quickly lose interest. Glad you enjoyed it though.

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

He's either barking mad or a moron, probably both. It won't matter, in any case, I don't see how the leadership could go to anyone but Boris at this point.

barking mad or a moron,... seems a good description of Boris to me. Raab appears to be our most capable candidate.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Out of curiosity, if Raab has his way and was permitted to suspend Parliament, who then is governing the nation and by what means are they governing?

The executive (cabinet) arm of government and their civil servants. Can't introduce new or amend legislation but can implement existing.

May tried threaten she would use the Royal Prerogative, which the Supreme Court ruled she couldn't to try and by-pass parliament. This prat thinks he's found another sure fire trick.

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

- Suspending parliament remains an option to ensure Britain leaves the European Union on Oct. 31, former Brexit secretary Dominic Raab said on Saturday,

“Make someone a devout, fanatical anything, and his brain turns to mulch.”

Mercedes Lackey, By the Sword

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The amazing thing is: Brexiteers still haven’t learned anything. They believed Cameron’s false promises; the believed the leave campaign’s false promises. And they’re going to believe the PM candidate’s false promises, and will end up disappointed and whining again. 

Well no: They never believed in the bus advertisement. They never believed in 'The easiest deal in human history.' They never believed the German car manufacturers would leap in to save us.

They believed Project Fear and the calamity that would befall us, which is why 'Well we survived World War II, didn't we?' is now advertised.

Funny how at the time they did not seek to disabuse the foolish claims about there being no downside to Brexit. Why, when economic hardship is what they voted for all along in their droves?

Now many people voted for Brexit with the noblest of intentions. Hell, I have a very close and ardent Remainer friend in the UK who will literally give you a half hour lecture on why the EU is <deleted>, before making his pitch that leaving it as of now is even worse, especially given we do not have the Euro, are not Schengen members, etc. Nor can we be forced into such arrangements. 

I am inclined to agree with him: What actually tangibly better things will we achieve within the next 20 years if we just tell the EU to go #### themselves, leave without a deal, stiff them on agreed payments and look elsewhere as an unreliable partner?

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The executive (cabinet) arm of government and their civil servants. Can't introduce new or amend legislation but can implement existing.

May tried threaten she would use the Royal Prerogative, which the Supreme Court ruled she couldn't to try and by-pass parliament. This prat thinks he's found another sure fire trick.

To hell with the cabinet and with the M.P’s if they cannot carry out the people’s mandate.

9 hours ago, vogie said:

I get it, you cannot talk about anybody without using vile language, as oft you do in your posts, I would suggest it says more about you than them.

This is inaccurate. I make an effort to avoid personal slights against other TV posters. This is about the subject of the topic, not an individual poster. I would have said the same as I said about Raab, about Trump, and if you follow those threads you would see that many many others deride him in a similar manner.

This is also inconsistent. The language used by Brexiteers about for example MPs, or Gina Millar, or the Law Lords, - treasonous traitors - etc etc is also pretty uncompromising. The topic is one on which people on both sides hold very strong views, it is natural for people to express themselves strongly, (within forum rules of course) but maybe the Brexit camp has morphed into snowflake central. 

20 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And here we have it, the very dangerous irony of Brexit. 

All that talk of bringing back sovereignty to Parliament and here's true Brexit zealot proposing to suspend Parliament to get Brexit. 

This is nothing less than the tyranny of the ballot box.

At no time in the history of the British Parliament has a politician ever suggested a winning a vote gives him the right to suspend Parliament. 

It has however happened elsewhere. 

The name Cromwell seems to ring a bell.

13 hours ago, evadgib said:

Having skipped through todays TV interviews the best candidate for me is McVey.

It seems I wasn't alone in noticing McVey

(Reminder re CONTENT rather than Poster, which in this case includes the presenter of the clip) :

Mods: Happy for this to be moved if there's a better place for it.

15 hours ago, kingdong said:

perhaps berko should just do his job,remain impartial,and mind his own buisness.

Exactly. Berco is a disgrace, he's not even bothering to pretend he's impartial any more. He needs removing. 

7 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

This is inaccurate. I make an effort to avoid personal slights against other TV posters. This is about the subject of the topic, not an individual poster. I would have said the same as I said about Raab, about Trump, and if you follow those threads you would see that many many others deride him in a similar manner.

This is also inconsistent. The language used by Brexiteers about for example MPs, or Gina Millar, or the Law Lords, - treasonous traitors - etc etc is also pretty uncompromising. The topic is one on which people on both sides hold very strong views, it is natural for people to express themselves strongly, (within forum rules of course) but maybe the Brexit camp has morphed into snowflake central. 

So are you justifying calling another human being, dung, because where I come from it is not acceptable. Only last week you were at it again with Nigel Farage, you just cannot help yourself.

Using the excuse he's doing it, so I can do it is no excuse, all you are doing is deflecting.

Incidentally using the terminology "snowflake" caused a leaver to take a short suspension.

Not all remainers insult, but most people that insult are remainers.

2 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

The name Cromwell seems to ring a bell.

Oliver Cromwell's Speech to the English Parliament
20th April, 1653.
It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.
Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?
Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your consience for bribes?Is there a man that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?
Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and picked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone!
So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!

27 minutes ago, Benroon said:

As if the UK credibility crash isn't bad enough we would have Esther McVey walking into top level international meetings with THAT accent - no chance !

The bill for interpreters would go through the roof !!

Says a bloke who's avatar suggests Noddy Holder ????

(TBH her accent sounds more 'Corrie' than 'Brookside' lol)

42 minutes ago, Benroon said:

As if the UK credibility crash isn't bad enough we would have Esther McVey walking into top level international meetings with THAT accent - no chance !

The bill for interpreters would go through the roof !!

She looks a lot better than Merkel though!

PS, if as your Avatar suggests you are from Wolverhampton, criticizing other people's accents might not be a great idea ????????.

58 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Oliver Cromwell's Speech to the English Parliament
20th April, 1653.
It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.
Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?
Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your consience for bribes?Is there a man that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?
Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and picked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone!
So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!

Yep a murderous religious zealot.

Just what’s needed as an example - not.

Archived