UK PM candidate Raab says suspending parliament remains a Brexit option

rooster59

33 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Nothing new, the lies and distortion just keeps on flowing. Reality is the pound in your pocket and brexit is nothing more than an ever increasing hole.

I have just come back from a month in the UK. It is only a year since the last time I went and couldn't believe the increase in the numbers sleeping on the streets, the general neglect and rising prices. Thank god for Wetherspoons.

The no-dealer politicians are so well off they won't be feeling the pinch.

Are you seriously saying that the increase in poverty that YOU'VE  finally noticed is due to the brexit that hasn't actually happened yet???!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/9/2019 at 10:20 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

Good someone who is talking sense.

And then calling the E.U. a dictatorship ….:cheesy:.......Henry VIII powers would never be used ...:whistling:

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Nothing new, the lies and distortion just keeps on flowing. Reality is the pound in your pocket and brexit is nothing more than an ever increasing hole.

I have just come back from a month in the UK. It is only a year since the last time I went and couldn't believe the increase in the numbers sleeping on the streets, the general neglect and rising prices. Thank god for Wetherspoons.

The no-dealer politicians are so well off they won't be feeling the pinch.

My God, I’ve been living here for the last 16mths,after living in Thailand, and I recognized nothing that you describe. Rising prices, I noticed far more in Thailand. As for Witherspoon’s,I don’t know where there is one.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Are you seriously saying that the increase in poverty that YOU'VE  finally noticed is due to the brexit that hasn't actually happened yet???!

Are seriously saying that 3 years of (not yet) Brexit chaos is not having a negative impact on the economy?

It is not the PM who prorogues parliament, they have to ask the Queen to do it.

The Queen formally prorogues Parliament on the advice of the Privy Council.

Prorogation usually takes the form of an announcement, on behalf of the Queen, read in the House of Lords. As with the State Opening, it is made to both Houses and the Speaker of the House of Commons and MPs attend the Lords chamber to listen to the speech.

The same announcement is then read out by the Speaker in the Commons. Following this both the House of Commons and House of Lords are officially prorogued and will not meet again until the State Opening of Parliament.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/occasions/prorogation/

I do not think the Queen will be happy to be dawn into a constitutional crisis, basically she is damned if she does and damned if she does not.

But given that it is being used by government to bypass the democratic wishes of Parliament I suspect she will decline on advice of the Privy Councilors she chooses to advise her.

1 minute ago, Basil B said:

I do not think the Queen will be happy to be dawn into a constitutional crisis, basically she is damned if she does and damned if she does not.

But given that it is being used by government to bypass the democratic wishes of Parliament I suspect she will decline on advice of the Privy Councilors she chooses to advise her.

You’ve got to be joking. It’s the arrogant and lying M.P’s in parliament who have been bypassing the Democratic wish, and instructions of the British people to implement their decision to leave the so called E.u.

9564DAA5-A694-4A66-852B-CC04146E8AD0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Thairealist said:

You’ve got to be joking. It’s the arrogant and lying M.P’s in parliament who have been bypassing the Democratic wish, and instructions of the British people to implement their decision to leave the so called E.u.

Yeah UKIP so extreme Nigel left if for Tommy Robinson and the rest of his coked-up thugs to spew their bile.  Listen to Brexiteer !!! George Galloway smash this idiot down with his command of FACTS. 

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

God Save the Queen! (She's a secret remainer for the sake of the Union) showing her true colours here....

Image result for queen brexit

On 6/10/2019 at 5:14 AM, evadgib said:

It seems I wasn't alone in noticing McVey

(Reminder re CONTENT rather than Poster, which in this case includes the presenter of the clip) :

Mods: Happy for this to be moved if there's a better place for it.

Yeah the bin - he should get back to boring the passengers in the back of his black cab. What an effin idiot - Arthur Daley made more sense. English Democrats neo-nazis friends of the BNP. 

44 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Yeah UKIP so extreme Nigel left if for Tommy Robinson and the rest of his coked-up thugs to spew their bile.  Listen to Brexiteer !!! George Galloway smash this idiot down with his command of FACTS. 

You forgot to mention that George Galloway is a prominent and outspoken 

supporter of the U.K leaving the E.u. In other words he’s a Brexiteer.

8 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Just tried searching for Grouse posts and he appears to have had all his posts deleted. Very sad. ????

I beleive he’s finally seen the light, and realizes that Brexit is inevitable.

F943167A-F9C5-4431-A71D-E9226262C7D5.jpeg

16 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I beleive he’s finally seen the light, and realizes that Brexit is inevitable.

F943167A-F9C5-4431-A71D-E9226262C7D5.jpeg

He is an intelligent man - having seen the lunatics having taken over the asylum which is debate here has found better things to do. For that, I salute him bye-bye. Enough is enough. 

8 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Yeah the bin - he should get back to boring the passengers in the back of his black cab. What an effin idiot - Arthur Daley made more sense. English Democrats neo-nazis friends of the BNP. 

Since you skipped the bit about content rather than poster I'll offer the board two more. Can I suggest posters refrain from commenting until after they've heard the second one?

Non platforming (by MSM which is the crux of his complaint) isn't going to work much longer.

17 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"that YOU'VE  finally noticed"

Always a caustic comment, I go back every year but the changes I noticed this year as to what I have noticed in previous years was far greater than in the previous years. Clear enough for you to understand?

Of course it is due to brexit. The squabbling politicians have taken their eye off the ball in every other direction.

23 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Since you skipped the bit about content rather than poster I'll offer the board two more. Can I suggest posters refrain from commenting until after they've heard the second one

Non platforming (by MSM which is the crux of his complaint) isn't going to work much longer.

Can you get this ‘Ardent Constitutionalist’ to sign up to TVF and tell us what he thinks about the subject under discussion (Raab’s proposal, repeated by McVey, to suspend Parliament in order to force through a no-Deal Brexit)?

I really would like to hear what an Ardent Constitutionalist who supports Brexit has to say on the matter.

After which we might get him to give his views on the use of a Plebiscite to override Parliamentary democracy.

There is no ‘Ardent Constitutionalist’ argument to suspend Parliament nor to run the nation my plebiscite.

11 hours ago, Thairealist said:

A near perfect example of a Brexit extremism.

Parliament and MP’s represent the whole nation, not just the winners of a plebiscite.

You choose to post an extremist meme accusing Parliament and MPs of being ‘Traitors’.

The language of the extremist.

8 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Just tried searching for Grouse posts and he appears to have had all his posts deleted. Very sad. ????

When our best recruiting sergeant fell ill a few months ago it was primarily the Brexiters who rallied to enquire as to his welfare and were sincere in doing so. When he returned to the boards his tone thereafter left many wondering why on earth they had bothered.

15 hours ago, nontabury said:

My God, I’ve been living here for the last 16mths,after living in Thailand, and I recognized nothing that you describe. Rising prices, I noticed far more in Thailand. As for Witherspoon’s,I don’t know where there is one.

Take it you have never walked through Sheffield, a body in every doorway and £8.95 for Pad Thai in the market food court. They only get away with it as bog standard English food is around £7.

Three Wetherspoons in Sheffield city centre, nine I think city wide, a blind man couldn't miss them. The Benjamin Huntsman in the city centre sells Abbot Ale, nectar to the gods, for £1.79 on a Monday, normal price £2.29 a pint. Ordinary pubs charging around £4 a pint for dishwater.

I first came to Thailand in 1999 and a small beer was about 60 baht in Pattaya, not changed much, a couple of nights ago I had a kapow for 45 baht and a large Chang for 75 baht. There is no dispute the minimum wage has increased prices in certain areas but trying to compare the UK to  Thailand is meaningless, last year I stayed in the Dusit in Pattaya for around 3500 baht a night and then a few weeks later paid £82 a night for B&B in Forres.

Just now, evadgib said:

Whats stopping you asking him yourself?

It’s you who introduced him here, urging us to listen to what he said.

I listened, and learned he claims to be an Ardent Constitutionalist and clearly a Brexiteer, which in the context of this particular topic of discussion is truly bizarre.

It begs the question, why ever did you think cutting and pasting that clip into the discussion was a good idea?

There are no ‘Ardent Constitutionalist’ arguments to suspend Parliament in order to force an outcome you wish, but which Parliament disagrees.

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Take it you have never walked through Sheffield, a body in every doorway and £8.95 for Pad Thai in the market food court. They only get away with it as bog standard English food is around £7.

Three Wetherspoons in Sheffield city centre, nine I think city wide, a blind man couldn't miss them. The Benjamin Huntsman in the city centre sells Abbot Ale, nectar to the gods, for £1.79 on a Monday, normal price £2.29 a pint. Ordinary pubs charging around £4 a pint for dishwater.

I first came to Thailand in 1999 and a small beer was about 60 baht in Pattaya, not changed much, a couple of nights ago I had a kapow for 45 baht and a large Chang for 75 baht. There is no dispute the minimum wage has increased prices in certain areas but trying to compare the UK to  Thailand is meaningless, last year I stayed in the Dusit in Pattaya for around 3500 baht a night and then a few weeks later paid £82 a night for B&B in Forres.

Abbot Ale in Sheffield.

The only ale I ever drank there was ‘Wards’ (AKA Waaards).

On a more serious point, what you are observing is the fracture in British society caused by the growing wealth gap. The very few haves and the very many have nots.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Abbot Ale in Sheffield.

The only ale I ever drank there was ‘Wards’ (AKA Waaards).

On a more serious point, what you are observing is the fracture in British society caused by the growing wealth gap. The very few haves and the very many have nots.

One of the things about Wetherspoons is their drinks menu is fairly standard throughout the country and Abbot is the standard strong real ale at about 5%. They normally over either Ruddles or Greene King IPA as a standard real ale and there is always a selection of guest real ales.

Forgotten when the Wards brewery shut down, must be over 20 years ago now. Never did like it, always the runs.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

One of the things about Wetherspoons is their drinks menu is fairly standard throughout the country and Abbot is the standard strong real ale at about 5%. They normally over either Ruddles or Greene King IPA as a standard real ale and there is always a selection of guest real ales.

Forgotten when the Wards brewery shut down, must be over 20 years ago now. Never did like it, always the runs.

Yes it would be a little over 20 years ago. 

All that aside, there really is only one ‘nectar of the gods’ - Marston’s Pedigree.

I wouldn’t set foot in a Wetherspoons as a matter of principle.

12 hours ago, Thairealist said:

It is posts like this that prove how fundamentally flawed the referendums are. Reasonable majority and all is well but the narrow majority will always be divisive, never decisive.

Do people really think that this type of rhetoric will ever be forgotten?

20 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

"that YOU'VE  finally noticed"

Always a caustic comment, I go back every year but the changes I noticed this year as to what I have noticed in previous years was far greater than in the previous years. Clear enough for you to understand?

Of course it is due to brexit. The squabbling politicians have taken their eye off the ball in every other direction.

Yes, and I apologise as it was an intended "caustic comment" and yet, you've somehow still managed to miss the point - and are still convinced that it is due to the referendum result.....  For some reason you think this is a new issue???

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

<snip>

One of the few times we agree.  ????

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

For some reason you think this is a new issue???

Completely wrong, there is nothing new about poverty, neglect and rising prices.

Only the naive would believe that brexit has not created a severe escalation.

Austerity created brexit and brexit has created austerity, but you probably think that brexit funding is money well spent, more important than the vulnerable.

https://www.homecareinsight.co.uk/social-care-system-at-crisis-point-with-fewer-people-getting-the-care-they-need-says-report/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-48558495

Bit ironic that the area most likely to significantly benefit from leaving the EU, voted to remain.

The deprived areas, other than NI, should be quite happy to be further deprived, after all they knew what they were voting for.

That would see Wales stripped of £2.3bn over the six years from 2021, with other big losses in the southwest (£1bn), the northeast (£480m), Northern Ireland (£230m) and the West Midlands (£225m).

In stark contrast, London would gain a staggering £19bn over six years, with the southeast (£1.2bn), Scotland (£795m) and the east of England (£583m) also set to benefit.

The figures are a consequence of the government withdrawing almost all domestic economic development funds for the regions since 2010 – while capital spending is earmarked towards the south.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-brexit-funding-regions-tory-leadership-contest-structural-funds-a8952186.html

Archived