Government school now with 11 periods a day

I have been working at the same government school in Bangkok for many years. During that time I have seen school directors come and go, some good, some not so good. At the start of this academic year, we were presented with our new teaching schedules for the 1st semester. The first thing that was apparent was that the schedules for the farang teachers had each of us teaching 25 periods a week, more than we had ever done before. Secondly, the teaching day had increased to 11 periods, meaning the day finished at 5:20pm. Notice of these changes only became apparent the day before the start of the semester, and then it only got out as leaked information. After very firm complaints, the school had to remove period 11 from the farang schedules because our contracts stated that our working day finished at 4:30pm.

My question is: Is this situation isolated to my school, or have any other schools in Bangkok changed their schedules to 11 periods a day, and if so, was it done with or without consultation?

Archived