Divorce in Thailand recognsed legally in UK?

bojo

I am a UK citizen and I am married to a Thai national. We married in Thailand and we would now like to divorce. My question to the forum is…Is an (uncontested) divorce registered at a local Amphur recognised as a legal and binding divorce by law in the UK? This is obviously very important to me. Secondly, we were married on the mainland in the South in the early noughties; can we go to any Amphur in the Kingdom to do so. And thirdly, what paperwork and/or translations etc are required and does anyone know how one would file/register the divorce on return to the UK. Thanking all kindly for any replies in advance……..

10 minutes ago, bojo said:

Is an (uncontested) divorce registered at a local Amphora recognized as a legal and binding divorce by law in the UK?

Ask yourself if a Thai marriage certificate is legally recognized by UK why wouldn't a Thai decree nisi or Thai government paperwork stating the marriage is dissolved be.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Ask yourself if a Thai marriage certificate is legally recognized by UK why wouldn't a Thai decree nisi or Thai government paperwork stating the marriage is dissolved be.

Because after some research online, it's mentioned everywhere that it's country dependant and I am unsure whether a divorce at the amphur is the same as a divorce in a court as the 'court factor' seems to be important as far as the UK is concerned. Hence my need for some sound advice here....cheers

Divorce in the amphur is as legal as in a family court, and unless you were also married in the UK you will also be divorced there.

You can get divorced in a different amphur.

21 hours ago, bojo said:

what paperwork and/or translations etc are required and does anyone know how one would file/register the divorce on return to the UK.

That depends on the amphur, Go ask them like I did. They give only Thai language forms so get them translated for your own information, so you know what you are signing.

Are you on a UK pension or have any other government payments dependent on marital status? If not, why would you need to tell them anything? Did you tell them when you got married? If so tell the same department.

Was wondering this exact question.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:06 AM, eezergood said:

It is recognised - unless the marriage was never actually notified in the UK

That's great, I am getting divorced uncontested at the local amphur, not through the courts and had the same question as I also found online that it is country dependent and couldn't find an answer specifically about the UK, as they said problems may arise when you try to remarry. Marriage wasn't notified in the UK ever, so I assume all is well, uncontested sign paper at local amphur and should be fine.

I even called the british embassy and he had no clue, he just said if its legal here in Thailand they accept it. So im going to go this route.

22 hours ago, Leslie1984 said:

Was wondering this exact question.

That's great, I am getting divorced uncontested at the local amphur, not through the courts and had the same question as I also found online that it is country dependent and couldn't find an answer specifically about the UK, as they said problems may arise when you try to remarry. Marriage wasn't notified in the UK ever, so I assume all is well, uncontested sign paper at local amphur and should be fine.

I even called the british embassy and he had no clue, he just said if its legal here in Thailand they accept it. So im going to go this route.

Keep a copy of the certificate, It may also be useful to have a certified translated copy 

I really dont understand why all this puzzlement about divorcing at the Amphur. Let me explain something, for those that are under the impression that you get divorced in court......you do not. Once you have presented your case in court and the court has ruled for one or the other then they issue a final paper. You are still not divorced. You then have to take that court final paper to the Amphur and then register your divorce. The difference with going through the court is it only needs one party to register with the court paper, whereas without the court paper then both parties have to be present and willing.

So back to this thread subject, you can only get legally married at the Amphur and you can only get legally divorced at the Amphur, so obviously it will be accepted by any and all countries, because there is no other option.

Hope this explains the system a bit better and I have put it across ok.

HL

Archived