Why Jomtien is the best place to live/retire in Thailand. 

beautifulthailand99

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

My condo (not even high-end) has a generator for such circumstances. We rarely get power cuts of more than a minute or two where I am in Jomtien anyway. 

Yes they used to be a common occurrence often for hours. But seem quite rare now.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't live in Thailand anymore came back for a short holiday to Pattaya a few days ago

went o jomtien for a few hours for a decent meal and I was impressed with jomtien

and also with the meal. Jomtien is clean compared to Pattaya every thing seems to be more

organized there is dozen's of good clean restaurants and easy to find we spend hours to

find 2 restaurants in Pattaya we gave up ( my lady friend is Thai) nobody knows anything

no street names even taxi drivers didn't know where to go and on top of that I got

verbally abused by some nutty Thai women who screamed at me while we were waiting

to hail a taxi ( go back f3423 Farang we don't want you here and so on) lucky for us

a security guard got rid of here so I must say I am not impressed with Pattaya if I had to

move I sure would move to Jomtien now I am waiting to get flogged by all the Pattaya

apologists how nice Pattaya is 

3 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Loving all the Jomtiem love being shown on this thread. It's motto should be - "If you must live in Thailand then come to Jomtiem - The Very BEST of a Bad Bunch ".

This isnt so far from the truth.

Personally there are only a small handful of places in Thailand where I would consider living. CM is out because of the smog. Bangkok is too busy and accommodation is too expensive. All islands are out. Pattaya itself is too busy and noisy.

All non-tourist destinations are out.

So that leaves just Jomtien, Naklua and Hua Hin and places very close to those (Pratumnak, Na Jomtien etc).

On 6/9/2019 at 6:52 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Whilst Jomtien is really Pattaya/Jomtien you can say you live in Jomtien to which most of your relatives and friend’s back home won’t recognise the world infamous nightlife resort.

This point is irrelevant. You could tell your friend's back home that you live in Banglamung, or even Nongprue, and no matter where you live on the strip you're being truthful. Have you ever seen "Jomtien" or "Pattaya" on an official address. No, because the city is Banglamung.

Isn't immigration on Soi 5?

IMO living on the "Hill" is better as you're in between and you have the best of both worlds close at hand.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, White Christmas13 said:

I don't live in Thailand anymore came back for a short holiday to Pattaya a few days ago

went o jomtien for a few hours for a decent meal and I was impressed with jomtien

and also with the meal. Jomtien is clean compared to Pattaya every thing seems to be more

organized there is dozen's of good clean restaurants and easy to find we spend hours to

find 2 restaurants in Pattaya we gave up ( my lady friend is Thai) nobody knows anything

no street names even taxi drivers didn't know where to go and on top of that I got

verbally abused by some nutty Thai women who screamed at me while we were waiting

to hail a taxi ( go back f3423 Farang we don't want you here and so on) lucky for us

a security guard got rid of here so I must say I am not impressed with Pattaya if I had to

move I sure would move to Jomtien now I am waiting to get flogged by all the Pattaya

apologists how nice Pattaya is 

Surely you're not using your experience with the "nutty Thai women" as a decision maker for where you would prefer to live. I'm not apologizing for Pattaya or Jomtien, but rather for you, as crazy people live all over the world and I know that Asians occasionally cop racial abuse in other countries too. Which paradise do you hail from?

Having said that, now a shout out for Pattaya LOL. The borders are ill defined, and I know many areas in Pattaya that are peaceful and nice. Pattaya is not all about Walking Street, Beach Road and 2nd Road. I know you'd be quite impressed where I live, only about 1 km from Walking Street. I don't hear or see traffic, only birds in the park. It is paradise IMO. My place is NOT the only peaceful place in Pattaya by a long shot. I know of MANY such areas, but you need to get off the beaten path. I won't tell you specifically where they are, but you need to explore...

"Call some place paradise - kiss it goodbye". quote from "The Last Resort", Eagles.

Find a good place in Pattaya and you won't miss Jomtien.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

This point is irrelevant. You could tell your friend's back home that you live in Banglamung, or even Nongprue, and no matter where you live on the strip you're being truthful. Have you ever seen "Jomtien" or "Pattaya" on an official address. No, because the city is Banglamung.

No. The province is Chonburi. The district is Bang Lamung. The city is Pattaya which is within Bang Lamung district but not part of it. The tambon is mainly Nong Prue, along with some others. Greater Pattaya includes most of Jomtien down to where Na Jomtien starts.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

No. The province is Chonburi. The district is Bang Lamung. The city is Pattaya which is within Bang Lamung district but not part of it. The tambon is mainly Nong Prue, along with some others. Greater Pattaya includes most of Jomtien down to where Na Jomtien starts.

When most people in Jomtien or Pattaya give an address for delivery, under "City", its Banglamung. There is no such thing as "Greater Pattaya" - nothing official (did you make it up?). Whether you live in Jomtien or Pattaya, your address is Banglamung, and that is official... therefore, if one doesn't want to tell people they live in Pattaya, they can use Banglamung and be perfectly confident that it is truthful. This is not a Jomtien advantage. 

52 minutes ago, tropo said:

When most people in Jomtien or Pattaya give an address for delivery, under "City", its Banglamung. There is no such thing as "Greater Pattaya" - nothing official (did you make it up?). Whether you live in Jomtien or Pattaya, your address is Banglamung, and that is official... therefore, if one doesn't want to tell people they live in Pattaya, they can use Banglamung and be perfectly confident that it is truthful. This is not a Jomtien advantage. 

More to the point of saying that one lives in Nongprue as Banglamung is the district not the tambon.

As for "Greater Pattaya" I did not make it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya

49 minutes ago, tropo said:

wrong - Pattaya has a special administrative status.

If you type in "Pattaya city" in google maps, it will show you the territory of the city, administered from Pattaya city hall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization_of_the_government_of_Thailand#Special_local_government

for the postal address though, Pattaya City is not used.

the schema in use is: Chonburi, Banglamung, Nong Prue, Moo...

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Surely you're not using your experience with the "nutty Thai women" as a decision maker for where you would prefer to live. I'm not apologizing for Pattaya or Jomtien, but rather for you, as crazy people live all over the world and I know that Asians occasionally cop racial abuse in other countries too. Which paradise do you hail from?

Having said that, now a shout out for Pattaya LOL. The borders are ill defined, and I know many areas in Pattaya that are peaceful and nice. Pattaya is not all about Walking Street, Beach Road and 2nd Road. I know you'd be quite impressed where I live, only about 1 km from Walking Street. I don't hear or see traffic, only birds in the park. It is paradise IMO. My place is NOT the only peaceful place in Pattaya by a long shot. I know of MANY such areas, but you need to get off the beaten path. I won't tell you specifically where they are, but you need to explore...

"Call some place paradise - kiss it goodbye". quote from "The Last Resort", Eagles.

Find a good place in Pattaya and you won't miss Jomtien.

Could be on a fool's errand there - not knocking Pattaya as a tourist if that's your thing  - but living there amongst the madness imho is not for the sane. And just a 10-15 minute baht bus away for when you want to go mad for a break.  And Jomtiem's cheaper to boot A DOUBLE WIN. 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:18 AM, Henryford said:

Yes they used to be a common occurrence often for hours. But seem quite rare now.

I do believe that's called "progress". Even Thailand suffers from it occasionally :giggle: 

16 minutes ago, Pengo2001 said:

Googled for View Talay Condo (because we just bought a condo in VT4) and was not dissapointed with this thread!

Hopefully I will never become a person who dislikes the Pattaya/Jomtien area...

Good move I didnt know that was right opposite the markets. I stay I jomtien a few months of the year to get away from my condo lower sukhumvit bkk for a nice break

Do thay have a notice board with 1 month rentals and how about an agents office inside?

On 6/28/2019 at 10:04 PM, madmen said:

Good move I didnt know that was right opposite the markets. I stay I jomtien a few months of the year to get away from my condo lower sukhumvit bkk for a nice break

Do thay have a notice board with 1 month rentals and how about an agents office inside?

just learn how to type English

On 6/23/2019 at 9:40 AM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Loving all the Jomtiem love being shown on this thread. It's motto should be - "If you must live in Thailand then come to Jomtiem - The Very BEST of a Bad Bunch ".

I agree with the positives about Jomtien. If you want negatives you will always find them if you look hard enough.

It is difficult for the OP to fully judge a place when most months of the year are spent in the UK.

Personally, I prefer Jomtien out of season - in fact I prefer any part of Thailand out of season. November to February is a good time, climate-wise, to be in Buriram where I am based. I still visit Jomtien (and Pattaya) in high season but my stays are more limited.

March and August to October I will stay for up to 3 weeks at a time.

April to July I prefer to be in Europe.

On 6/9/2019 at 11:37 PM, dode57k said:

I'm married to a Thai and when I retire the plan is to move to Bueng Kan province. ...

Not far from Loei where I worked and married 40 years ago. Always thought I'd retire in Loei, but not so sure now.  We have relatives, old friends, own a nice house. 

image.jpeg.b339b3e15853207693186a01c3c1f2c4.jpegimage.jpeg.3993047c9f6fa87bff563627a6a7b668.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1cde8c25dbfd7d46b5d77f855af3d14a.jpeg

image.jpeg.d75b2c575eaf32b7e9459453e1032622.jpeg

And a sister-in-law across the street...

image.jpeg.cfe84fc5a95db069ccdbeec465256506.jpeg

On 7/3/2019 at 11:02 PM, Damrongsak said:

Not far from Loei where I worked and married 40 years ago. Always thought I'd retire in Loei, but not so sure now.  We have relatives, old friends, own a nice house. 

image.jpeg.b339b3e15853207693186a01c3c1f2c4.jpegimage.jpeg.3993047c9f6fa87bff563627a6a7b668.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1cde8c25dbfd7d46b5d77f855af3d14a.jpeg

image.jpeg.d75b2c575eaf32b7e9459453e1032622.jpeg

And a sister-in-law across the street...

image.jpeg.cfe84fc5a95db069ccdbeec465256506.jpeg

Yeah best to live in a well off farang ghetto of owner occupiers away from the Chang singlet crowd. 

Image result for drunk fat pattaya farang

Archived