Why Jomtien is the best place to live/retire in Thailand. 

beautifulthailand99

2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Given the length and detail of the OPs post my guess he is a bit of a shut in and has a lot of time on his hands...

Wife was away for the day at her dance class and I thought I would try and crystallise my thoughts about this wonderful place (which is also a bit rubbish)....and yes it did take me several hours to write!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Tagged said:

The Jomtien would be my first choice to, but you are horrible wrong about three things! 

Air pollution is high in Jomtien and Pattaya

Flooding is also a problem in Jomtien

and the worst claim, Norwegian high quality band at Linda? Linda used to be good, and now only avarage quality food, and expensive imported cheep wine. I had high expectations when I first came to Linda after the new opening, but was dissapointed. Hope they do better now. 

And finely the waterquality at beach, and all the garbage. Except from that everything you listed I aggree. 

During the high season, I haven't noticed bad air quality - but from our eagle's lair condo balcony I can see the usual yard fires all over the place as Thais burn their rubbish. But at least the incoming sea breeze clears most of it. I don't doubt if you live on Theppraist Road the AQ is as bad as anywhere - as ever location, location, location is important. Haven't seen any flooding yet but I'm sure you're right. Last March when we were staying at Amari Nova Suites a deluge turned the soi into a raging river as was most of Pattaya Tai we were lucky to get out to the bus station. Once up the hill though Jomtien seemed flood free. I wouldn't eat the food at Linda's if I could avoid it, very expensive and lacklustre. Just interested in the calibre of musicians she brings to the place. Though I have heard she was raided by the police.

11 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Wife was away for the day at her dance class and I thought I would try and crystallise my thoughts about this wonderful place (which is also a bit rubbish)....and yes it did take me several hours to write!

Please tell me she is taking belly dance lessons!...

6 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

During the high season, I haven't noticed bad air quality - but from our eagle's lair condo balcony I can see the usual yard fires all over the place as Thais burn their rubbish. But at least the incoming sea breeze clears most of it. I don't doubt if you live on Theppraist Road the AQ is as bad as anywhere - as ever location, location, location is important. Haven't seen any flooding yet but I'm sure you're right. Last March when we were staying at Amari Nova Suites a deluge turned the soi into a raging river as was most of Pattaya Tai we were lucky to get out to the bus station. Once up the hill though Jomtien seemed flood free. I wouldn't eat the food at Linda's if I could avoid it, very expensive and lacklustre. Just interested in the calibre of musicians she brings to the place. Though I have heard she was raided by the police.

Did they sing Message In A Bottle?

3 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Don't like jomtien also. Too many old people it makes me feel like it is some kind of retirement village. Some folks probably like that but each to their own

That would be the walking dead - sometimes it does feel like there has been a zombie attack. But we will all get old in the end if we are lucky - plenty of other youngsters around you so it isn't a total geriatric ghetto. 

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

This big long post from Connda should be read by every expat or tourist who wants to come to Thailand to retire or stay long time. If it wasn't for my wife and property, I would be off somewhere else.

Sell the property and take her with you. Not that hard to do that f you really want to leave.

Would tend to agree - Jomtien IS a very convenient place to live and much cleaner than Pattaya .  When I first bought my Condo In Jomtien it was relatively quiet - especially 2 nd road but now there are just too many condo's / building going on making it more crowded . There are numerous Condo developments either complete or underway with most accommodating several hundred occupants each !   How the road/services ie water and electric can cope with this influx  . Most seem currently vacant and I'm thinking they are going to be holiday homes as not very nice for living permanently (unless you like to live in the middle of theme park or up on the 20th/30th ?? floor !!  So many individual Condos in one building - nobody knows you at the desk /security etc - so many people you would be just a stranger and never know who is your neighbour.   Personally I think there has been a building / planning boom in the good times and now a good majority of these Condos are going to remain either empty or minimal occupancy and likely the builder will go bust / go out !!  Boom and bust coming now - buyer beware .  Also , so many one bedroom Condo's only suitable for short stay/holiday and the market is saturated with these .  A pity there is not a better planning system  department which would refuse high rise Condo,s and only allow more low rise architectural buildings (not slab sided Condo's all same )   

Anyone retiring/thinking of living in this convenient area should look more to the east now ie Bang Saray /Rayong.

Oh one other good thing is the climate !!  Best in Thailand - never gets too cold , no tsunamis , no tropical storms . 

f

11 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I live there for 3/4 months a year so I think I'm entitled to have a view !

Of course you are. And I'm sorry if my reply offended you, but IMO living here for 3-6 month/year is not the same as living here full time.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

This big long post from Connda should be read by every expat or tourist who wants to come to Thailand to retire or stay long time. If it wasn't for my wife and property, I would be off somewhere else.

Sell the property and take her with you. Not that hard to do that f you really want to leave.

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Of course you are. And I'm sorry if my reply offended you, but IMO living here for 3-6 month/year is not the same as living here full time.

I know and that's why I don't want to do it - no offence was taken! I'm gagging to come home by the middle of March and now I can't wait to get back in November. Hence my 'love letter' to Jomtiem - a bit brilliant and a bit rubbish and not expensive ! (I'm from the north of England where the rallying cry is how much - I'm not paying that !

7 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

Would tend to agree - Jomtien IS a very convenient place to live and much cleaner than Pattaya .  When I first bought my Condo In Jomtien it was relatively quiet - especially 2 nd road but now there are just too many condo's / building going on making it more crowded . There are numerous Condo developments either complete or underway with most accommodating several hundred occupants each !   How the road/services ie water and electric can cope with this influx  . Most seem currently vacant and I'm thinking they are going to be holiday homes as not very nice for living permanently (unless you like to live in the middle of theme park or up on the 20th/30th ?? floor !!  So many individual Condos in one building - nobody knows you at the desk /security etc - so many people you would be just a stranger and never know who is your neighbour.   Personally I think there has been a building / planning boom in the good times and now a good majority of these Condos are going to remain either empty or minimal occupancy and likely the builder will go bust / go out !!  Boom and bust coming now - buyer beware .  Also , so many one bedroom Condo's only suitable for short stay/holiday and the market is saturated with these .  A pity there is not a better planning system  department which would refuse high rise Condo,s and only allow more low rise architectural buildings (not slab sided Condo's all same )   

Anyone retiring/thinking of living in this convenient area should look more to the east now ie Bang Saray /Rayong.

Oh one other good thing is the climate !!  Best in Thailand - never gets too cold , no tsunamis , no tropical storms . 

f

Rayong too industrial for us I'm afraid and Bang Saray nice as it is is a one-horse town. Very true about the climate and tsunami free shall need to update my list. 

'They' are harmless, hardly that noticeable and most of the ladyboys which are often problematic seem to prey on the 'straight' men over the hill in Pattaya ! Make of that what you will.
Some homophobes don't want to live in Jomtien out of fear people will think they are gay.

Sad.

You're right that gay population supports a lot of good restaurants in the area.

Not a restaurant per se but the O'delice French bakery is a great example.

It's unique for the entire region.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

f
By one bedroom I assume you mean one room studios. One bedrooms are plenty big for one or two people.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Jen65 said:

not very nice for living permanently (unless you like to live in the middle of theme park or up on the 20th/30th ?? floor !

I see nothing wrong with the 20th/30th floor. In fact I see nothing wrong with the 50th floor. The higher you go the cleaner the air is and less noise there is.

The winner is Jomtien..

I haven’t read anyone coming up with another location in Thailand that is offering more..

I Always  feel kinda sorry for these farangs living with their Isarn wives in some dead boring village in middle of nowhere.

Honesty i would probably feel depressed if not having a bright sea-view from my living room..

Most I know do not like liviing there.  They bought because it is cheap.

But, bored they get quickly find themselves coming over the hill once sometimes twice a day.  They want to sell and move elsewhere but do not want to take a loss.  Thus stuck there.

4 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Honesty i would probably feel depressed if not having a bright sea-view from my living room..

Well, there you go I knew your hatred of the Pattaya malls was because you do not have any.

I personally would be depressed in Jomtien.

How long can you stare out at that bright sea before boredom sets in??

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, there you go I knew your hatred of the Pattaya malls was because you do not have any.

I personally would be depressed in Jomtien.

How long can you stare out at that bright sea before boredom sets in??

I got sea with city views and rather nice ones.

9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

The winner is Jomtien..

I haven’t read anyone coming up with another location in Thailand that is offering more..

I Always  feel kinda sorry for these farangs living with their Isarn wives in some dead boring village in middle of nowhere.

Contrasts Destiny, contrasts to fill your life with, and be able to choose what you want to do, when you want. 

I have just found my peace in Isan, but have two other destinations also to go + my home country. Important to not be locked up one place. 

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

If the choice is Thailand then Jomtien is my number one.

What i still miss in Jomtien is a seaside shopping mall.

At some point there will be a condo developer thinking hey lets built a big fat mall here with a condominium on top of it.

Well, they already have one with a luxury hotel on top.  It's called Terminal 21.

But it is a short ( one hour on Friday evening s) baht bus ride to your desired malls all of which are in Pattaya.

They will never ever build a mall in Jomtien.

Sorry.

Maybe even a McDonald's in Jomtien would be joyful for many.  Let's try starting with that. ????

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, they already have one with a luxury hotel on top.  It's called Terminal 21.

But it is a short ( one hour on Friday evening s) baht bus ride to your desired malls all of which are in Pattaya.

They will never ever build a mall in Jomtien.

Sorry.

You’re becoming childish sir.

Archived