Why Jomtien is the best place to live/retire in Thailand. 

beautifulthailand99

14 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

You’re becoming childish sir.

Just factual.

You seem very confused.

You have gone on and on for months how much you hate malls and cannot understand why people go to them. 

Many disagreements and your hatred for all of it is well documented.

Now, you want a big seaside mall in your town of Jomtien?

This is all the truth.

So.... what is your deal??

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Just factual.

You seem very confused.

You have gone on and on for months how much you hate malls and cannot understand why people go to them. 

Many disagreements and your hatred for all of it is well documented.

Now, you want a big seaside mall in your town of Jomtien?

This is all the truth.

So.... what is your deal??

Again and for last time try to remember this now for longer than 5 minutes.

I love malls! Just Pattaya seems to have an oversupply of malls so it seems stupid to build more there!

With many new condos arising near Jomtien coast line  therefore it makes good sense making one seaside mall in Jomtien.

and if Pattaya is so popular for retirees according to you than why is the majority of the retirees residing in Jomtien and not downtown Pattaya?

Enjoy your beer-bars!

55 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, they already have one with a luxury hotel on top.  It's called Terminal 21.

But it is a short ( one hour on Friday evening s) baht bus ride to your desired malls all of which are in Pattaya.

They will never ever build a mall in Jomtien.

Sorry.

Maybe even a McDonald's in Jomtien would be joyful for many.  Let's try starting with that. ????

Isnt there a big shopping mall going to built where Rompo is now ? Bike taxi guy was telling me a big C is going on the big 10 acre cleared area in Soi Watboon.

56 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Isnt there a big shopping mall going to built where Rompo is now ?

I don't think that's been confirmed. There was also a rumor about the area becoming a hospital but I think that's even less likely. 

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

The winner is Jomtien..

I haven’t read anyone coming up with another location in Thailand that is offering more..

I Always  feel kinda sorry for these farangs living with their Isarn wives in some dead boring village in middle of nowhere.

Honesty i would probably feel depressed if not having a bright sea-view from my living room..

This maybe a biased poll but I'm voting with you !

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

and if Pattaya is so popular for retirees according to you than why is the majority of the retirees residing in Jomtien and not downtown Pattaya?

And another statement coming from nowhere... :whistling:

How do you know that? Source please.

I live in South Pattaya and many condos - like mine - are half filled with retirees. The percentage may be even higher in some of the many cheap apartments building of the whole Pattaya. Naklua also has a lot of condos with most of the older ones well filled with retirees. And of course the Dark Side also get many of them, those who choose a quiet life far from Pattaya agitation.

So I really doubt that the majority of them live in Jomtien...

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Isnt there a big shopping mall going to built where Rompo is now ? Bike taxi guy was telling me a big C is going on the big 10 acre cleared area in Soi Watboon.

Getting excited already we have to take our kicks where we can in dull but ok Jomtien.....

38 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

And another statement coming from nowhere... :whistling:

How do you know that? Source please.

I live in South Pattaya and many condos - like mine - are half filled with retirees. The percentage may be even higher in some of the many cheap apartments building of the whole Pattaya. Naklua also has a lot of condos with most of the older ones well filled with retirees. And of course the Dark Side also get many of them, those who choose a quiet life far from Pattaya agitation.

So I really doubt that the majority of them live in Jomtien...

Yes if u add the dark side and Naklua then Jomtien has less retirees but i did not add them.

Since i said Pattaya downtown i only meant Pattaya Klang and Tai.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, they already have one with a luxury hotel on top.  It's called Terminal 21.

But it is a short ( one hour on Friday evening s) baht bus ride to your desired malls all of which are in Pattaya.

They will never ever build a mall in Jomtien.

Sorry.

Maybe even a McDonald's in Jomtien would be joyful for many.  Let's try starting with that. ????

I wonder if a McDs opened, how long would it be before KFC, BK, Pizza Hut et al followed? Be careful what you wish for. I would not like Jomtien to be a copy of Pattaya. I want it to keep a seperate and distinct identity.

I wonder if a McDs opened, how long would it be before KFC, BK, Pizza Hut et al followed? Be careful what you wish for. I would not like Jomtien to be a copy of Pattaya. I want it to keep a seperate and distinct identity.
Good point. I wonder why there is no Starbucks though. There is an Amazon though so I won't be shocked if some of those chains from hell start popping up Jomtien way.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There's a Chinese karaoke bar - for sing-song, not ladies opened up along the Beach Road called something Robot with two Giant Yaks outside - so some budding Thai/Chinese entrepreneur has started a stand-alone business to mop up the hordes that stay in many of the hotels at the far end. I anticipate a gold-rush as a lot of the tour bus occupants troll along the beachfront taking endless selfies. Anything half-decent should do really well.

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Good point. I wonder why there is no Starbucks though. There is an Amazon though so I won't be shocked if some of those chains from hell start popping up Jomtien way.

No starbucks please overpriced dishwater - hate it with a vengeance. 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Some homophobes don't want to live in Jomtien out of fear people will think they are gay.

Sad.

You're right that gay population supports a lot of good restaurants in the area.

Not a restaurant per se but the O'delice French bakery is a great example.

It's unique for the entire region.

I'll second O'delice  - great fresh bread and cakes with the statutory miserable Frenchman running it. The Aussie Pie Man nearby makes amazing if somewhat expensive pies. Best I've had anywhere. 

There is also a shrine to the long forgotten Thai actor Mitr Chaibancha who died in a helicopter accident- on the Second Road behind the  Jomtiem Beach Hotel whilst filming (which is also cursed as the scene of the worst ever Asian Hotel Fire) He died on October 8, 1970 at Dongtan Beach, Jomtien, Pattaya, after falling from a helicopter during the filming of a stunt for the final scene of Insee thong (Golden Eagle). Don't forget to wai and bow your head as you pass it to appease the many spirits. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitr_Chaibancha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Jomtien_Resort_Hotel_fire

24 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I'll second O'delice  - great fresh bread and cakes with the statutory miserable Frenchman running it. The Aussie Pie Man nearby makes amazing if somewhat expensive pies. Best I've had anywhere. 

Best pies anywhere? Plenty better in Bolton and all other Lancastrian towns. And you say you are a Northerner?

No starbucks please overpriced dishwater - hate it with a vengeance. 
I go there sometimes when I travel for reliable black coffee but I wouldn't if it was in Jomtien as I live here. But the arrival of a Starbucks in any area is kind of symbolic. So so far Starbucks doesn't think Jomtien is worthy.

1 hour ago, champers said:

Best pies anywhere? Plenty better in Bolton and all other Lancastrian towns. And you say you are a Northerner?

From Preston and was a great fan of the now-defunct Ashworth's pies. Have tried fine ones in Wigahma, Oldham,Bolton and other such wonderful Lancastrian towns. All I can say is why don't you try and find out. Here he is https://www.facebook.com/TinniesThailand/

Image result for tinnies pies jomtien

I live in Taiwan but this month will be visiting Pattaya for the 8th time in 2 years (9th time in 5 years).

I agree with the original poster - Jomtien is my favorite area to stay in, I call it a mini-Pattaya: it's got most of what the center has, but in more amenable doses. Less pollution, less traffic jams, fewer bars.

Transportation is extremely convenient (24-hour service to the nightlife and shopping malls, if that's what you want, and close to the airport bus terminal), there are small restaurants everywhere - from Thai and Western to Scandinavian, Dutch, Russian, there's the night market, and there's the beach road and promenade where you can walk all the way  from Dongtan to Na Jomtien and back.

My conclusion: If I ever retire in Thailand, Jomtien will be my first choice, because it combines the quiet, the beach and keeps the busy-ness (night life, malls) at arms' length, but still within reach.

My favorite gueat house in Jomtien, and before the new rules and one month rent I liked the big balcony rooms at The Moonshine. Great place to live for some few weeks. 

You get big rooms, nice view and just some few steps you are on the baht bus. No need to live in stinky Pattaya ????  

well, Pattaya have an terribel smell, and how can people live up there? 

601310BA-8B2C-4B1F-8E51-A32139788652.jpeg

3FE7378B-8B47-4362-99A5-94EEEC22BDC9.jpeg

826B9DD7-438E-4BC4-83AA-C248F3020203.jpeg

69E3629C-B7FF-4CD3-8466-74897662F136.jpeg

F753C2A2-D55D-4549-98C2-6777A972D83D.jpeg

07DEA696-B223-400D-831B-589E48B3F3DD.jpeg

FC446D68-15AF-446D-A0F5-AC72AB3C06BA.jpeg

C770A3B1-7539-48D8-86C8-4B0C58C6AFD9.jpeg

9B05320E-2183-4F19-B2A0-80CA9053C9A1.jpeg

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

From Preston and was a great fan of the now-defunct Ashworth's pies. Have tried fine ones in Wigahma, Oldham,Bolton and other such wonderful Lancastrian towns. All I can say is why don't you try and find out. Here he is https://www.facebook.com/TinniesThailand/

Image result for tinnies pies jomtien

Been to Tinnies a few times. Good pies, very pricey though and stingy portions. Back home pies are better, for me.

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I used to rank Jomtien way up there, especially because one used to be able to swim in reasonably clean water.  But the last ten years and the glut of all those condominiums and the resultant sewer mess, now makes the water unswimmable.

I swim at Dongtan beach most days. You're too sensitive.

9 hours ago, Nemises said:

Thanks OP. Good detailed description. But does it worry you that you could get sick if you swim in the “sea” there?

I swim in the condo pool and don't swim in the sea sadly as this is Thailand. The two big conditions I apply to my best place to live is a) if you have to live in Thailand (family etc) and b)it is cheap. As they say nothing for nothing. If money was no object I wouldn't be in Thailand and therefore Jomtien but we are where we are. 

15 hours ago, champers said:

There was a KFC in Jomtien for a good number of years, at that intersection of road up to Pattaya and straight ahead to Dongtan beach, was a restaurant and now torn down empty lot. Wonder what (if anything) will go in next? There is a Subway shop on that road (Okay, so tho I've lived here for more than decade not too sure on names, another small town trait). I wouldn't like Jomtien to be like Pattaya either.

19 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Are you saying that ALL Thai beaches have dangerously high bacterial water levels or just those situated in the Gulf?

No - just where there is a large population and tourists in Thailand I very much doubt the water infrastructure has caught up with the demand. Jomtien no way would I swim same for Pattaya. That said doesn't seem to bother the Ruskies but then they are made of sterner stuff ! (or Thai families for that matter).

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Are you saying that ALL Thai beaches have dangerously high bacterial water levels or just those situated in the Gulf?

Pattaya beach is obviously a pile of crap. Other beaches are "in the opinion of the poster". Suggest for questions like this you see for yourself, or seek a more professional opinion.

Archived