Marriage Visa

2 Questions re the Marriage Visa Application.

1: After the application has been made does Immigration come to inspect your house in every case.

If anyone has any experience of this,and

what exactly happened when they visited ,your feedback will be appreciated.

2:After the application has been made

can the 400000 Baht be withdrawn?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

OP. maybe mention the office you will be using for specific requirements. In Jomtien my last inspection took all of 48 seconds, then to the condo office to find someone to verify you live there as husband and wife.

Exactly as UJ says, though I would recommend if possible, a visit to the office with which you intend to apply, and clarify their exact requirements.   For example some offices want your witness(es) to be present when you make the application.

In my own very recent case, no visit was made during the 'Under Consideration' period.   I was also free to use any/all of my banked funds after the application.   Again, check with your IO.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You might want to ask about it before you do your next extension. Many offices are telling people to bring their updated bank book when they go back to get their one year extension stamp. Others have been contacted during the 30 days under consideration to bring one in.

I (my wife) was contacted by phone about 23 days after the 30 day stamp ‘under consideration’ was issued for my marriage extension and asked to get my bank book updated and then scan and send it to the main immigration office in Bangkok to check that the money (400k) was still there and not touched/withdrawn. We asked our local office, who we know very well, about this and they said that this was happening a lot more and if I had of withdrawn any of the money leaving less than 400k in the bank the office (Bangkok) would have refused the extension.

• Thanks 1

So it appears from your comments that for “safety’s sake “, it would be better to not touch the money (400000) UNTIL the 30 Day under consideration period expires and the new Marriage extension is finally stamped in the Passport?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

1. yes immigration police has go to looking my home 3 time and ewery year visa need some photo bed,rooms,house whit family and must see photo  house addres too. 3 time need make new photo officer not see addrs sign good. manytime police go looking and speak all neighbours ask live we together true wife and husband and looking what i do in home and how we live together.

2. yes visa need 400 000 B in bank account and bank need go make papers you have true this money to bank, ewerytime new bank paper need be. when go to immigration.

Chiang Mai Immigration:

Very First extension 3 years ago. After handing in all the paperwork, 10 days later we had to show up at immigration office with a Thai witness. All 3 of us were being asked questions separately. After the interview the IO followed us home and checked our house.

Same goes for a friend who lives in the same area. 

That happened only on the first extension, 2nd and 3rd no visits.

• Thanks 1

In Mukdahan we were visited on two separate occasions, by two different pairs of very serious looking officers- stayed outside the house though. There also had to be a ‘significant ‘ local resident present to vouch for us.

Edited by Mukdahanman

1. yes immigration police has go to looking my home 3 time and ewery year visa need some photo bed,rooms,house whit family and must see photo  house addres too. 3 time need make new photo officer not see addrs sign good. manytime police go looking and speak all neighbours ask live we together true wife and husband and looking what i do in home and how we live together.
 2. yes visa need 400 000 B in bank account and bank need go make papers you have true this money to bank, ewerytime new bank paper need be. when go to immigration.
Well the police will never bother to visit our house,i can just look over the wall and tell him to stop his dog barking. 555

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

I assume you are asking about an extension of stay based upon marriage.

1. It depends upon the office you apply at. Some do a home visit and others will ask you to bring witnesses to confirm you are living together as husband an wife.

What they do during the home visit depends upon the officers doing it.

2. It is advised to leave the 400k baht in the bank until you get your extension stamp at the end of the 30 day under consideration period you will get.

So to get an extension based upon marriage you need 400k in the bank?  What happens if you don't?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, fishtank said:

You need 40k monthly income.

If neither you wont get.

First, thank you very much for the info.  If I can get by with a 40K monthly income that will be great.  All I would have to do is bring a copy of my monthly pension statement.  The reason why I was asking is because normally I get a retirement Visa and if they come out with compulsory health insurance, I will have to go with the marriage Visa as I don't want to pay tons of money for health insurance.  I am from Canada, in good health, 73 years old, soon to be 74 and I have enough money in the bank back home to cover medical bills if the need arises and I don't want to tie up my money in a Thai Bank.  I only go to Thailand for 5-6 months a year and I have an insurance that covers me for 40 days outside the country.  I checked one place in Pattaya last winter and they didn't insure over 65 years old.

8 minutes ago, aqua4 said:

Thats sad and inhuman. 

Maybe.

But perhaps they are making sure it's all genuine; too many marriage scams in the world.

When we got married, I did find all the faffing around tiresome, but it was worth it.

On the other hand, it gives the various departments plenty of 'work' shuffling documents around....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gerard052 said:

First, thank you very much for the info.  If I can get by with a 40K monthly income that will be great.  All I would have to do is bring a copy of my monthly pension statement.  

You would need a letter from your Embassy as proof.

44 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Why would that be? My pension statement comes from the Government of Canada.

Immigration Offices within Thailand will not accept pension documents other than a confirmatory letter from your respective Embassy.   Your Embassy will likely require to see your supporting documentation before issuing a letter.

The alternative to an Embassy letter is to show through a Thai bank letter and bank statement covering the preceding 12 months, of foreign transfers into your (Thai) account of a minimum of 40,000 baht/month.

This link details the requirements for Phuket IO, however, there are variances between all offices in Thailand, so always best to check with whichever office you intend to use to confirm their exact requirements:

http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/marriage-m/

No medical insurance, medical certification and police clearance certification is required to be shown for a Non O Marriage extension.

they visited me the first time I applied. Just renewed and they didnt come again. 

I had the 400k in the account on the day of applying. Paid the fee and during the waiting period I started spending money and it went below the 400k bal. No issue at all. I just received the new 1 yr ext. they dont go to the bank and check on it. too hard for them

On 6/9/2019 at 7:17 PM, peterg40 said:

After the application has been made does Immigration come to inspect your house in every case.

Usually a visit on the first extension, not always to your house.IMG_2487.thumb.JPG.7b76333fad689b76b8e1f2309a1cffd6.JPG

i had to produce my bank book and another letter and statement during the under consideration period, I have been told I will need to do it again  3 months after the extension in Udon, I have still to "discus" this as I haven't got my extension yet.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:31 PM, peterg40 said:

Thanks for your reply, I am asking about an extension of stay based on marriage

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If they get you to draw a map to your house then in all probability they will visit, Immigration visited me,they wanted to see all my documentation that i had produced 3 weeks before at I O,they then photoed everything and made my wife and i ,pose in every room ,and outside  showing the house number, they phoned my wife about 2 hrs before the visit oh and by the way i am on a Retirement extension. :welcomeani:

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2019 at 9:24 PM, Gerard052 said:

So to get an extension based upon marriage you need 400k in the bank?  What happens if you don't?

then you can stay maximum 7 months per year, 90 day+extention 30 days plus 90 days... and then bye bye unless you fly in for 30 days 5 times....from outside country... anyone else know something different, please feel free to publish, I'm actually curious if that's also a possibility...???

Edited by PunaBrian
more info
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, PunaBrian said:

then you can stay maximum 7 months per year, 90 day+extention 30 days plus 90 days... and then bye bye unless you fly in for 30 days 5 times....from outside country... anyone else know something different, please feel free to publish, I'm actually curious if that's also a possibility...???

Apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

No financial proof is needed at many Thai embassies and consulates.

The consulates in Savannakhet Laos or Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam do not require it.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2019 at 9:46 PM, fishtank said:

You need 40k monthly income.

If neither you wont get.

Seems EVERY CHANGWAT HAS their rules, TODAY... (June 14, 2019 Phuket)

1. You need 400,K Hard cold in the bank for 2 months prior to application for marriage extention, it cannot be LESS> monthly 40,000+ pensions won't work, today. Last week it was fine.

2. if you have a work permit, then you also need to show salary pay statements for prior 3 months to your application, showing a minimum of 50K a month income. Plus company papers from the business that you work for.

3. It will likely change again, maybe a few days or a few months, but it WILL change. 

4. do you think it will be for the better? 555!