Buying internet for phone 1 month ?

Scutty

I am semi retarded when it comes to technology and phones and stuff. Anyone care to share a simple way to get 1 month internet on my phone ? I dont wanna pay the ripp off tourist sim card deal . Someone tried to explain to me last time I went to Thailand couple months ago but did not succeed . Arriving Don Muang no have Thai Sim card . 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your phones unlocked ,simple really,you buy a month SIM card from the many on offer, you pay ,they connect you after showing your passport details and your away.Tourist prices are not a rip off.

The cheapest deal currently is with CAT Telecom. Their My By CAT Prepaid SIM offers 31 days of unlimited 4 Mbps data for 96.30 baht inclusive of VAT

Pop into one of their shops/offices with your passport, obtain a SIM, choose a main package. my Super Khum will do; http://www.mybycat.com/en/PrePay.php?package=8_my-Super-Khum . You can apply it by tapping in *905*01# and then pressing the Dial key or get them to do it in the shop for you.

Top up 100 baht and then apply *906*490# and then the dial key to applied the unlimited 4 Mbps Internet package.

The caveat is that the deal is currently only available until the end of this month. You haven't mentioned your date of your arrival.

For those who wish to take advantage of the deal for a bit longer, there are actually two promo codes. One for 15 days of unlimited 4 Mbps data; *960*445# and the other for 31 days. The terms of the deal is that you have to apply the codes within 31 days of opening. So theoretically, you can apply the 15 day code, costing 48.15 baht and when that runs out, the 31 day code for 96.30 baht.

But for Scutty, he should apply the 31 day code for his month long trip.

They should set the SIM up in your phone if you ask nicely. Otherwise; http://www.mybycat.com/en/Service_Set3G.php

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

Pop into one of their shops/offices with your passport,

The only minor inconvenience that I have found (so far) with CAT is that their shops are very few and far between. The other brands such as True, DTAC, AIS etc seem to have shops every few yards and in every mall, but with CAT you are lucky to have even one in a city the size of Pattaya, and they only work very limited government department hours. So "popping in" may be a bit problematic.

They do apparently have a branch at BKK airport.

Have just run this past the person beside me who tells me that the signal for  CAT Telecom is not good.

I will be in Thailand for 30 days, mostly in Bangkok but possibly in Pattaya for a day or two to meet with a real estate agent. I will need to work on the move. This package would work perfect for me and is far cheaper than 1-2 call is currently offering (my usual provider).

Can someone who uses their services comment on the signal reception in Bangkok and Pattaya for CAT Telecom? I would very much appreciate and be grateful for your quick response.

9 hours ago, JamJar said:

The cheapest deal currently is with CAT Telecom. Their My By CAT Prepaid SIM offers 31 days of unlimited 4 Mbps data for 96.30 baht inclusive of VAT

Pop into one of their shops/offices with your passport, obtain a SIM, choose a main package. my Super Khum will do; http://www.mybycat.com/en/PrePay.php?package=8_my-Super-Khum . You can apply it by tapping in *905*01# and then pressing the Dial key or get them to do it in the shop for you.

Top up 100 baht and then apply *906*490# and then the dial key to applied the unlimited 4 Mbps Internet package.

The caveat is that the deal is currently only available until the end of this month. You haven't mentioned your date of your arrival.

thanks Bud. Ill give it a go . Last time the girl in 7 /11 said my passport info page was too faded so refused to give me a card . arriving on 25th June for 3 weeks  so 1 month is all i need 

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You started the same thread 2 months ago?

I know and as i said FAILED with your info to get the job done . Airport selling only RIPP OFF TOURIST cards . Deny they have normal cards . Soory but Im too long in the tooth to get ripped off by Thais anymore .

6 minutes ago, Scutty said:

I know and as i said FAILED with your info to get the job done . Airport selling only RIPP OFF TOURIST cards . Deny they have normal cards . Soory but Im too long in the tooth to get ripped off by Thais anymore .

Whats the difference between a normal sim and a ripp off tourist one ?

11 hours ago, Scutty said:

Of course Im not paying more than the locals . Thats called a ripp off . Do you like being ripped off ?

Given your friendly disposition and your not technically savvy 500 baht is about the cheapest your going to get...

20 minutes ago, Olmate said:

As I suggested firstly, about 10 baht per day.Some holiday you have planned !

As i dont plan on spending more than 150 bath a day , 10 b is not an insignificant amount . Anyway , I do not agree with wasting money or allowing myslef to get cheated by Thais . This just encourages them and pushes up prices for all farang including you .my guess is that you are a rich newby pensioner with very little understanding of Thai culture and probable less interest.

14 hours ago, Olmate said:

If your phones unlocked ,simple really,you buy a month SIM card from the many on offer, you pay ,they connect you after showing your passport details and your away.Tourist prices are not a rip off.

Correct tourist internet SIM is a rip off. 30day nearly 500 Baht. I only use my internet about one hour a day. And it's free.

11 minutes ago, Scutty said:

As i dont plan on spending more than 150 bath a day , 10 b is not an insignificant amount . Anyway , I do not agree with wasting money or allowing myslef to get cheated by Thais . This just encourages them and pushes up prices for all farang including you .my guess is that you are a rich newby pensioner with very little understanding of Thai culture and probable less interest.

Stick to what you know, whatever that may be! And at 150 bHt a day, guess I am rich,<deleted>????

Tourist package are not so expensive all things considered and provide a great convenience for tourists who don't want to spend time looking up this stuff and getting a functioning data plan. From memories the most expensive tourist package with dtac is about 800 baht and it's not much more expensive than getting the same package by yourself.

If you still want the DIY version:

Get the cheapest AIS, Dtac or True possible without a tourist package. (It also works with a tourist sim but the entry price is higher)

Identify the internet add-on package you want from their website, it usually starts at about 200thb/month and doesn't include VAT (important to calculate the necessary topup).

Top-up your balance with the necessary amount.

Call the phone number associated with the package you want to purchase the package.

Congrats you've got the "no rip off" internet option on your phone.

Many locals I talked with had an unlimited social media and overpay for everything else because they have no clue and just pay by the megabyte.

Your target of 150 thb of daily expenses is not impossible if it doesn't include the hotel but you will be walking a lot and eating the cheapest street food around. I just feel that if you can't afford 65% paying more than the average minimum wage Thai maybe you shouldn’t be travelling, they don't. Time is often limited for holidays so paying for convenience is not a bad deal. But if you're just looking for the Authentic Thai Life Experience or just looking to grow your stach while travelling then go for it.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Whats the difference between a normal sim and a ripp off tourist one ?

The normal one does not come with the "voices in my head" feature.

15 hours ago, Scutty said:

Anyone care to share a simple way to get 1 month internet on my phone ?

pay 49 baht for a AIS SIM card AWAY FROM THE AIRPORT. download AIS app over WiFi. select English. look for low cost package or promotion.

look for a AIS kiosk in any mall in any city in Thailand.  Top up your account in baht cash.  

your phone number is good for two years. even with a zero balance. so next trip no need to get new SIM.

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

pay 49 baht for a AIS SIM card AWAY FROM THE AIRPORT. download AIS app over WiFi. select English. look for low cost package or promotion.

look for a AIS kiosk in any mall in any city in Thailand.  Top up your account in baht cash.  

your phone number is good for two years. even with a zero balance. so next trip no need to get new SIM.

Problem Resolved.  Great summary.

If yiu are extremely economical, buy the cheapest plan for AIS or True at the airport. Remember that with lower data caps it may revert to slow 3G speeds after you’ve used your allotment. But you can stop at their shops and top it up or change your plan. You’ll need your passport to do anything at the phone shops, or at least a copy.

Archived