Buying internet for phone 1 month ?

Scutty

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The only minor inconvenience that I have found (so far) with CAT is that their shops are very few and far between. The other brands such as True, DTAC, AIS etc seem to have shops every few yards and in every mall, but with CAT you are lucky to have even one in a city the size of Pattaya, and they only work very limited government department hours. So "popping in" may be a bit problematic.

They do apparently have a branch at BKK airport.

"Inconvenient", "problematic"?  A CAT office at the airport he's flying in to could hardly be more convenient!

8 hours ago, TheGhostWithin said:

Can someone who uses their services comment on the signal reception in Bangkok and Pattaya for CAT Telecom? I would very much appreciate and be grateful for your quick response.

I use it and have noticed no problems.

6 hours ago, Scutty said:

As i dont plan on spending more than 150 bath a day , 10 b is not an insignificant amount . Anyway , I do not agree with wasting money or allowing myslef to get cheated by Thais . This just encourages them and pushes up prices for all farang including you .my guess is that you are a rich newby pensioner with very little understanding of Thai culture and probable less interest.

How exactly is buying a Thai SIM card being cheated?  

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Jesus 100 baht.

I just paid 700b for the same package with AIS (4mb 30 days).

Does AIS have any promos like this?

It's only a one-off promo for newly registered CAT SIM and you can only use the codes within the first 31 days. AIS used to have a similar promo, but since AIS doesn't offer unlimited capped data to newly registered SIM, they won't have a similar promo. 

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Inconvenient", "problematic"?  A CAT office at the airport he's flying in to could hardly be more convenient!

Is there one in DMK?

Otherwise it depends on where he is heading for his hols. If Pattaya, there is one on Pattaya Tai.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

How exactly is buying a Thai SIM card being cheated?  

He is referring to the Tourist SIM sold with bundles that only last for a few days. Why are so many having difficulty with this?

Clearly he tried at airport booths and they claimed that they did not have the basic 49 baht SIM in stock.

Just now, JamJar said:

He is referring to the Tourist SIM sold with bundles that only last for a few days. Why are so many having difficulty with this?

Clearly he tried at airport booths and they claimed that they did not have the basic 49 baht SIM in stock.

So he would not be being "cheated", then.

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Not so convenient if you happen to be in Pattaya where there is only one shop as far as I know.

5 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Is there one in DMK?

Otherwise it depends on where he is heading for his hols. If Pattaya, there is one on Pattaya Tai.

Yes, there is one there as I pointed out. That compares very poorly with other providers who have shops in just about every mall and on every street.

Not an issue for me but possibly of interest to others, as are the very limited opening hours of the CAT offices.

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Is he flying into Pattaya?

Maybe he is arriving at night. Maybe he would just like to get his SIM the next day. Do you know? I don't.

What I am saying is that CAT shops are very rare compared to those of other providers and that may be of interest to him. It doesnt bother me as I have a car and plenty of spare time.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

So he would not be being "cheated", then.

Cheated by claiming they were no 49 baht Tourist SIM in stock in so that they can perhaps sell a Tourist SIM with 6 to 8 GB of data for 15 days for 599 baht doesn't sound like fair play. He still have to buy more data for the remaining two weeks.

5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Yes, there is one there as I pointed out. That compares very poorly with other providers who have shops in just about every mall and on every street.

Not an issue for me but possibly of interest to others, as are the very limited opening hours of the CAT offices.

Where did you point it out??

What you wrote is;

They do apparently have a branch at BKK airport.

when he wrote that he was flying into DMK.

If there is one at DMK, perhaps you could help by giving some idea of the exact location. That would be helpful.

Google map for Pattaya customer service centre; https://www.google.com/maps/place/12°55'23.8"N+100°52'59.4"E/@12.92328,100.883156,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d12.92328!4d100.883156

CAT Customer Service Office - Pattaya

Address : 124 Moo 10, South Pattaya Rd., Tambon Nong Prue, Amphoe Bang Lamung
                Chon Buri 20150
Open      : Mon-Fri  08.30-16.30 hrs. (Closed : Official Holiday)
Tel          : 0 3300 4301-6
Fax         : 0 3300 4301-6 Ext. 7038

Who said I was going on holiday ? I know the usual Thailand holiday for most on here is Pattaya , pizza , steak , 20 bottles of beers , ice cream and hookers every day . Sitting growing your fat beer bellys in the English sports bars ....btw cant you do that in Blackpool ? Why do you have to come to Thailand for all that anyway ? 

Actually i come her not to spend money on crap , i have a family here and will be living with them . Just need internet connection for when Im travelling around on my bike . 

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

pay 49 baht for a AIS SIM card AWAY FROM THE AIRPORT. download AIS app over WiFi. select English. look for low cost package or promotion.

look for a AIS kiosk in any mall in any city in Thailand.  Top up your account in baht cash.  

your phone number is good for two years. even with a zero balance. so next trip no need to get new SIM.

Thats more like  it ! Thank you . Obviously not a dumbass tourist like the last guy .

9 minutes ago, Scutty said:

Who said I was going on holiday ? I know the usual Thailand holiday for most on here is Pattaya , pizza , steak , 20 bottles of beers , ice cream and hookers every day . Sitting growing your fat beer bellys in the English sports bars ....btw cant you do that in Blackpool ? Why do you have to come to Thailand for all that anyway ? 

Actually i come her not to spend money on crap , i have a family here and will be living with them . Just need internet connection for when Im travelling around on my bike . 

Thats more like  it ! Thank you . Obviously not a dumbass tourist like the last guy .

??

Who was the "dumbass tourist last guy"? Yourself on your earlier visit?

This thread really went downhill fast.

You can take a look at the AIS packages here; https://m.ais.co.th/package-ontop/?appName=worker&lang=en

Cheapest one month package costs 212.93 and for that you get 1 GB of data. When you use that up it slows down to 128 kbps for the rest of the month.

Low cost package or promotion means nothing at all. What matters is your likely usage pattern. But you can take a look at the AIS link so that you can choose in advance.

The CAT package is fast enough for almost any application, cheap and is truly unlimited. Similar with AIS costs 695.50 baht and is limited to 20 GB of data.

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

Cheated by claiming they were no 49 baht Tourist SIM in stock in so that they can perhaps sell a Tourist SIM with 6 to 8 GB of data for 15 days for 599 baht doesn't sound like fair play. He still have to buy more data for the remaining two weeks.

When you travel cheap Charlie style these obstacles do crop up from time to time.Its his choice ,not quite sure it’s a big deal really

58 minutes ago, JamJar said:

??

Who was the "dumbass tourist last guy"? Yourself on your earlier visit?

This thread really went downhill fast.

You can take a look at the AIS packages here; https://m.ais.co.th/package-ontop/?appName=worker&lang=en

Cheapest one month package costs 212.93 and for that you get 1 GB of data. When you use that up it slows down to 128 kbps for the rest of the month.

Low cost package or promotion means nothing at all. What matters is your likely usage pattern. But you can take a look at the AIS link so that you can choose in advance.

The CAT package is fast enough for almost any application, cheap and is truly unlimited. Similar with AIS costs 695.50 baht and is limited to 20 GB of data.

Good job bud . Thats more like it . AIS 2gb all i need . At 200 bath it wont cut into my food money either . . 

25 minutes ago, Scutty said:

Good job bud . Thats more like it . AIS 2gb all i need . At 200 bath it wont cut into my food money either . . 

2 GB is 239 baht + VAT equalling 255.73. So you'll need to top up at least 260 baht.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:03 AM, Scutty said:

As i dont plan on spending more than 150 bath a day , 10 b is not an insignificant amount . Anyway , I do not agree with wasting money or allowing myslef to get cheated by Thais . This just encourages them and pushes up prices for all farang including you .my guess is that you are a rich newby pensioner with very little understanding of Thai culture and probable less interest.

Why would you want to be in a place where you don't trust or, seemingly, like the population and culture? Not criticizing, just curious.

How much do you spend per day in your home country? Must be inexpensive. Maybe a good place to move to? Good people you can trust, good culture and cheap to live.

19 hours ago, Scutty said:

ohh you are not a tourist....... why are you buying a new sim everytime you visit your family ?

20 hours ago, JamJar said:

Curious?... At what Airport in the entire world can one get off a plane and be offered the cheapest possible SIM card data plan available in that country?

A true Cheap Charlie like the OP should head to MBK or a local 7-11 and buy himself a 49 baht sim

11 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Curious?... At what Airport in the entire world can one get off a plane and be offered the cheapest possible SIM card data plan available in that country?

A true Cheap Charlie like the OP should head to MBK or a local 7-11 and buy himself a 49 baht sim

Tell us. At which airport can you do that? 

The OP didn't ask to be offered the "cheapest possible data plan" at the airport. He asked for the basic 49 baht Tourist SIM with no data plan. Which each of the networks offer as a Tourist SIM. 

But they claimed to not have the 49 baht SIM in stock. Get it now?

4.png.f1a3845f564032483ee132e1c624cc0c.png

Too many people here just looking for an opportunity to take the mickey out of someone. 

23 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

there is a 7/11 at the airport.

He also stated that the girl at the 7/11 stated that his passport was too faded.

You miss the point. sfokevin was suggesting that an airport is not the place to get the cheapest possible data plan.

But the OP wasn't looking to be offered the cheapest possible data plan. He wanted the basic Tourist SIM, so that he could add his own data plan. But it is not unknown at the airport for them to pretend that there is no 49 baht SIM. Failing that they try to tell you that it has no data unless you add at least 300 baht to it.

Apart from all that, for a 30 day trip, Tourist SIM bundles are very poor value.

Some here write about 30 day Tourist SIM, but there is no such animal. They have data for eight or fifteen day duration.

So after fifteen days max, you need to buy another bundle, even if you haven't used up the data. Not amusing if you have already spent 599 baht on the SIM.

So much better to buy the 49 baht Tourist SIM( or normal SIM at airport 7/11 if they have them) and to buy a data package that is valid for 30 days. 

So silly comments about being a cheap charlie are simply uncalled for. 

It would actually be a bit stupid to buy a Tourist SIM bundle lasting eight to fifteen days for a thirty day trip.

Archived