BANGKOK 17 June 2019 14:03
webfact

Six killed, three injured in pickup-crane collision in Prachuap Khiri Khan

It is truly sad no matter the reason or the blame. It just goes to highlight how dangerous this country is....unfortunately. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many Thais possess little in the way of driving skills, and when you combine that with a lack of common sense, it can be a lethal combination. Many take risks that are unfathomable to the rest of us, and often those risks result in catastrophe. Hard to know who was at fault here. But, it would not be the first time a pickup truck loaded with people traveling at very high speed lost control and crashed. 

One of the biggest factors is the toy police. Nobody takes them seriously, and they adamantly refuse to engage in any sort of traffic safety or preventative engagement, such as pulling people over for reckless driving. The highway patrol rarely patrol the highways. And this extraordinarily inept administration just does not care about the common Thai people. A perfect storm. One that allows Thailand to continue having some of most dangerous road conditions on the planet. 

well said. But its the speeding that is also the biggest cause. Crazy overtaking

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, soistalker said:

And wasnt there a law that passengers cant drive in the back of a pickup? They must have been catapulted out of the truck bed.

Whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

In other words he was driving too fast.

I'd  say total  lack of  attention is   more of an issue.

• Like 1

All of the carnage- not always  preventable. So "marginal" drivers are to blame? OR alcohol- involved? I suspect that many drivers are simply untrained....those who go through red lights.....those who violate whatever......those who have no clue as to proper road rules. They do not give a <deleted>.  and 'what" if any is the outcome? Nothing- none or little prosecution of natives who contribute to a death of either a tourist or expat. They seem to be immune.

And this has to stop if the tourism experts (I question that label) delve in marketing that has no recognition of the negative aspects spurned by visitors. Tuk-tuks......dual pricing....etc. And the junta helps how? What a blemish on the former King. The junta is BS- they have NO attributes nor any qualities  like the King. In other words....the Junta is a presence that needs to go elsewhere. They have no advantageous attributes. For whatever  reason, their lack of intelligence as a whole is not only undemocratic, but their intelligence speaks for itself. Idiots.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

In other words he was driving too fast.

That's exactly right.

Whenever you are faced with unfamiliar surroundings, a new road, intersections, roundabouts etc. It's always better to slow down and 'proceed with caution' as the highway code says.

The idea of 'proceeding with caution' for most of these idiots is beyond their comprehension.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Smart cop

But he was returning from a local market!!

Local..

So must have some familiarity with the road. 

Familiarity/complacency..

Speed.

Blind spot.

= Fatalities. 

• Like 1

No mention of how many were seated in the back of the pick-up. TIT. 

I often see tractors, excavators, and other heavy slow moving construction type vehicles here traveling on the roads with no warning lights . in the real world where i came from it is law to have a flashing orange light visible from front and rear but TIT who gives a dam. It is unclear to me  from this report which vehicle was travelling in the highway.

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

As for U turns - great idea - we should have them in my home country.

Yes, I see nothing wrong with them.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the intersection created a blind spot for both parties and they could not see the other in time to slow down, resulting in the fatal collision

Is the intersection not controlled by something???

Yes, I see nothing wrong with them.
Nothing wrong with the concept just how they are used by a high percentage of drivers

Constant cutting across lanes to access them with no prior warning
Late and heavy braking when they arrive at them
Doubling and tripling up so that they block all view of oncoming traffic for the initial driver
Hanging the arse of their vehicles in the flow of traffic of the road they are cutting back from

Sure there are more but these are the most common causes of accidents that I can relate to regarding U turns........

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

So what speed would the crane truck have to be doing to flip over like that at a blind spot ? !!

In Thailand in Thailand...no road safety in Thailand.I got out while still alive.Never going back to that dangerous backward nation.

• Like 1