Six killed, three injured in pickup-crane collision in Prachuap Khiri Khan

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, another tragic ending and a mother who may lose her child or her own life as well. The two words I use to describe why I won't rent a nice car and take a leisurely drive from Bangkok to Ayutthaya or somewhere else to see old temples are 'overwhelming fear'.

No enforcement at all and no consequences with real sanctions for drivers who violate the traffic laws; except one-death.

18 hours ago, Chazar said:

The  real  problems are  many, Thais are atrocious  drivers, road  layouts  are appalling, U  turns are  ALL death traps, total disregard for any road  rules, and selfishness.

Just another day of statistical death on Thailands roads...absolutely nothing new....same old thing again...

22 minutes ago, AmericanSafety said:

Many years ago I invested money in my wife to attend a reputable driving course. The driving instructor was very thorough and I actually feel comfortable with her driving skills.

Therein lies the horrific paradox. She knows what she's doing. Nobody else does.

14 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Maybe he was trying to swerve to avoid the collision?

Possibly, or a combination of that and a side impact.
In any case, it seems the pickup hit something with enough force to kill a number of people, apparently all inside the cabin.

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many Thais possess little in the way of driving skills, and when you combine that with a lack of common sense, it can be a lethal combination. Many take risks that are unfathomable to the rest of us, and often those risks result in catastrophe. Hard to know who was at fault here. But, it would not be the first time a pickup truck loaded with people traveling at very high speed lost control and crashed. 

One of the biggest factors is the toy police. Nobody takes them seriously, and they adamantly refuse to engage in any sort of traffic safety or preventative engagement, such as pulling people over for reckless driving. The highway patrol rarely patrol the highways. And this extraordinarily inept administration just does not care about the common Thai people. A perfect storm. One that allows Thailand to continue having some of most dangerous road conditions on the planet. 

Absolutely, if they gave some tickets instead of looking then the bad habits might change for the better

Why are so many people allowed to travel unrestrained in the pickup trucks in Thailand?

Known double way blind spot, left to cause possible incidents

Result: More dead and injured, unacceptable outcome 

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Why are so many people allowed to travel unrestrained in the pickup trucks in Thailand?

Known double way blind spot, left to cause possible incidents

Result: More dead and injured, unacceptable outcome 

By law they aren't allowed to travel in the back but as we all know, law enforcement in Thailand is a joke!

On 6/10/2019 at 7:47 AM, GreenerGrass said:

The state of the pick up he must have been travelling at some speed!

These  things are designed to crumple  up absorbing the impact, if  the car  looked ok afterwards it hasn't done its  job

On 6/10/2019 at 2:21 PM, travelling wilbury said:

Just another day in paradice

Will be the same tomorrow on another road 

darwins theory was right 

But here it is non survival of the thickest

So why tell people to p off if they happen to have the sense to leave. Is it compulsory to live in LOS to have the right to point out there is a slight issue with road safety or is that reserved for die hard residents?  I lived there for 20 odd years and one of the biggest reasons for leaving was the nightmare situation on the roads and the stress caused by a simple trip to the shops with my wife and kids in the car.    

Archived