UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

webfact

UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

2019-06-09T181842Z_1_LYNXNPEF580OW_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Anti-Brexit protester Steve Bray (R) walks after a Liberal Democrats news conference following the results of the European Parliament elections, in London, Britain May 27, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah Mckay/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - A source close to French President Emmanuel Macron said on Sunday that failing to pay a 39 billion pound ($50 billion) Brexit bill when Britain leaves the European Union would amount to a sovereign debt default.

"Not honouring your payment obligations is a failure of international commitments equivalent to a sovereign debt default, whose consequences are well known," the source told Reuters.

Boris Johnson, the leading candidate to succeed Theresa May as leader of Britain's Conservative party and therefore its next prime minister, said in a newspaper interview that he would withhold the previously agreed Brexit payment until the EU gave Britain better exit terms. ($1 = 0.7853 pounds)

(Reporting by Michel Rose; Editing by Laurence Frost and Kevin Liffey)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-10

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

A new hardline negociating Brexit team would easily slash the 39 big ones down to a far more reasonable realistic price.
Remember..nothing has been signed to my knowledge..it's only a provisional costing right now as far as I'm aware.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

More Brexiteer folly.

The only thing a new ‘hardline Brexit’ team will reliably slash is the value of the pound and the British economy.

34 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More Brexiteer folly.

The only thing a new ‘hardline Brexit’ team will reliably slash is the value of the pound and the British economy.

There is no doubt about that at all.

We can only hope that the right wing extremists do not take over.

This 39 Billion, or 39,000,000,000 seems like a large sum of money. You could break it down to a weekly outlay over a year of 750 million quid a week. Wouldn't it be amusing to see this written on the side of a bus or somewhere that those that refuse to see facts could not help but see it.

I had suspected that it would wipe the smug grins from their faces when the threat to shut the British wallet was made. I was right.

5 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

This 39 Billion, or 39,000,000,000 seems like a large sum of money. You could break it down to a weekly outlay over a year of 750 million quid a week. Wouldn't it be amusing to see this written on the side of a bus or somewhere that those that refuse to see facts could not help but see it.

I had suspected that it would wipe the smug grins from their faces when the threat to shut the British wallet was made. I was right.

A UK that doesn’t honor it’s debts sets out into the world looking for trading partners.

That’ll work.

This so called divorce payment is a sham. Sadly we had a weak if not treacherous PM who was a remainer and coudn't help acting like a remainer. What about all the money the UK paid into the EU assets and buildings for over 40 plus years. You get divorced you are entitled to your share. It needs a strong brexiteer to tel them how it is.

Some  strange logic in the threat of refusing to pay as the basis for "forcing" an unlikely new agreement.

If it comes to pass the Brexit eventuates at all then the EU would have a very good bargaining chip for any ongoing trade.

Meanwhile Trump will rubbing his hands over an increased opportunity to screw over his "so much loved"

pseudo cousins for new trade expectations going in the US direction.

The UK  has put itself between a rock and a hard place. Now it seems to consider banging it's  head on same rock is a wise thing?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A source close to French President Emmanuel Macron said on Sunday that failing to pay a 39 billion pound ($50 billion) Brexit bill when Britain leaves the European Union would amount to a sovereign debt default.

Lets have another hundred years war than pay. ????

The Hundred Years' War was a long struggle between England and France over succession to the French throne. It lasted from 1337 to 1453, so it might more accurately be called the "116 Years' War." The war starts off with several stunning successes on Britain's part, and the English forces dominate France for decades.

34 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A UK that doesn’t honor it’s debts sets out into the world looking for trading partners.

That’ll work.

Well that would depend if the 39 Billion was fairly calculated, demanded by fully audited entities, and that Britain got full benefit to the tune of 39 Billion after payment. Otherwise the EU club expecting to get Billions for nothing, and making threats about it sounds like unwarranted demand with menaces. FTR unwarranted demand with menaces is a criminal offense.

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

I geeve you my middle finger, monsieur.

The UK doesn't;t pay its debts anyway....it owes Iran a pile of money and has stolen Venezuela's gold.

pmsl...now that you mention it.

Fix the 39 billion at whatever exchange rate was when article 50 was presented. Then when pound tanks, whoever is living at 10 Downing can say "Look at all the money I saved us!"

33 minutes ago, Kasane said:

Wow. Is Britain going to become a pauper? Hope not, it will doom the island to servitude. But perhaps karma. What goes around comes around.

Unfortunately karma is a myth for sheep and what goes around does not come around. We should send the French a bill for liberating them twice from the Germans in two wars.

I wonder if Macron, established by the Rothschild bankers, should be suggested to get extracurricular mathematic lessons.
I am not British, neither EU citizen, but as far as I understand, the UK had shoveled in billions of pounds into this endless pit in Bruxelles called the European Union.

This makes me wonder, honestly, who is the debtor here. But then, what do I know ........

Archived