UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

webfact

2 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

What I really don't understand is Why, after all Britain has done for Europe, we cannot leave without all this hastle, and return to how it was before joining.

It just proves we have no allies in Europe if they can treat us like this

The E.U. intends to make it as difficult as possible as a deterrent to other countries.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

That is a very strange view of reality. If UK want to trade with EU after Brexit and had not pay the bills .......what do you think EU's reaction would be???? 

Welcome UK? 

UK needs EU but not really vice versa. 

I think we can live without haggis. 

But can you live without wine, fruits and cars? Sure, there are always horse carts available, back to medieval times if you are lucky. 

I really don't buy into your way of thinking, you are not exactly the UKs biggest fan are you, would I be correct in that assumption? To suggest that the EU does not need us is laughable, even farcical, of course they need us, there will be frictionless trade between both parties whether you chose to believe it or not. We don't have to buy our "wine, fruits and cars" from them, but can you imagine the furore from the german car manufacturers if their governments doesn't do anything to help two way traffic, it's unimaginable.

If we buy more goods from the EU than they buy from us, do you honestly believe that european businesses would want all that to cease just because of a intransigent EU Council, most sensible people would say not, doesn't it make sense to you, or do you want to see the UK suffer like a lot of posters on here.

41 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Who goes potless ? The lack of economical thought in that is stunning. 

Even IF and its a big IF, the UK worms out of paying the £39b that THEY committed to paying themselves in 2013 (no one forced them to)- then that would be classed as a default (oh and add a few billion in legal fees)

A default means the UK's credit rating would be downgraded meaning your pound buys even less, trade deals become more expensive. Your borrowings instantly become more expensive (from banks still willing to lend to you - some only lend to AAA rated countries) for infrastructure etc etc. The UK is already on rating 'negative watch' before Brexit has properly done its worst yet.

The UK rating was already downgraded amid Brexit chaos so its costing us more already) but then again they're all probably wrong as well as the major job creators and the financiers at the coal face. Ignore all them and put your trust in the multi millionaire Boris de Pfeffel Johnson ! 

Now unless Spoony has plans to open another 2 million Wetherspoons that will also have an impact on jobs.

AND you got all this for free !

The inferior EU cr ratings ignored here of course!

To all TV members who think GB should not pay the 39 billion. Before you write here only controlled by your feeling (not paying the EU-bill), please inform yourself with your brain, why it would be very useful to pay the money to the EU. 

1. The EU isn't all about money, but an organization/institute to avoid wars in the future, offer free trade and moving. The list goes on. Compare it to the time/years before GB's entry into the EU and you will understand the advantages of the EU. Think of companies which opened dependencies in GB (possibly going back to the continent). That is and was money into GB for the advantage of many British people.

2. It seems that GB isn't obliged by law to pay this amount. There only is a „if“... . If GB prefers to stay alone it cannot be treated as a (club)member and should not enjoy the clubs advantages – what isn't cash-money alone. Now the rhetorical question: should a No-Member have the the same advantages as the real club members?

3. The EU is a club with a lot of common interests, knowing that a club is stronger = has more power and influence in the world than a single member. Being a member of this club means paying for this status, too. And it's okay, the more wealthy (countries) support the poorer ones to hold the members together - ---> #1. It's not GB first, but EU first, a big change in history, what many don't like to accept. Imagine all paying members of the EU would say: „I want my money back“.

4. So, not paying the duties, means, the club members will rightfully say, without clearing your former debts you never are welcome again and no customs advantages at now! So easy and understandable. Don't forget, the 39 million originate from the time GB agreed to pay as an EU-Member. I.e. it includes some billions for pensions liabilities for British people working in and for the EU, including those for Farage.

22 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

That is a very strange view of reality. If UK want to trade with EU after Brexit and had not pay the bills .......what do you think EU's reaction would be???? 

Welcome UK? 

UK needs EU but not really vice versa. 

I think we can live without haggis. 

But can you live without wine, fruits and cars? Sure, there are always horse carts available, back to medieval times if you are lucky. 

The EU is not the only place that makes cars, wine and fruit. Japan has been known to make a few decent cars, as does S.Korea (who we just agreed a trade deal with). Australian makes fantastic wine, as does Chile, the US etc.

If the EU wishes to punish the UK, they will be cutting off their nose to spite their face, the German auto industry for example does not need British consumers to stop buying their cars. I highly doubt Southern Europe wishes to lose their tourists. The best thing would be for the EU to stop trying to punish the UK and sign a free trade deal, let's hope common sense prevails.

58 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

you are funny, I told that to my ex wife when (after 20 years together) she took everything from me, she looked at me in the eyes, smiled and walked away

Not as funny as I laughed you allowing your ex wife to take everything from you. But seriously, even in UK law you are entitled to 50% unless kids are involved. Either way it was an analogy one that really doesn't resonate with your personal experience.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Wonder how it would've worked out if the "free world" had had to rely on France to stand alone and run up massive debts that wouldn't be paid of for decades rather than capitulating and collaborating?

despite the fact that British forces where in France, en mass, France was still completely over run, with the British army being forced to run for its very existence, tail wedged tween legs. There was no possibility of France standing alone and running up massive debts. No country would have resisted Germany alone.

meanwhile you marginalize the splendid and often heroic actions of the free French army and French resistance, without which the outcome of ww2 may have been very very different.

i see elsewhere that you suggest I do research on the war efforts of other combatants. might I respectfully suggest you do the same.

1 hour ago, Jimbo1964 said:

Take it out of the WW2 war reparation payments that German didn't make to the UK. That debt is far more than 39 Billion. Not to mention the debt France owes the UK for liberating them twice from the Germans.

Nothing really better than a bit of good old Brexiteer WWII jingoism.

All we need now is a squadron of Spitfires flying over (but please not with Polish pilots).

6 hours ago, malagateddy said:

A new hardline negociating Brexit team would easily slash the 39 big ones down to a far more reasonable realistic price.
Remember..nothing has been signed to my knowledge..it's only a provisional costing right now as far as I'm aware.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oh Mr Teddy!  you forgot again that there will be no re opening negotiations , deal or no deal …… I know hard to accept , you U.K. does not make the rules changing , BTW , you have even not yet a new blue leader .would be hard enough already to agree on that amongst conservative cat fighting

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

I really don't buy into your way of thinking, you are not exactly the UKs biggest fan are you, would I be correct in that assumption? To suggest that the EU does not need us is laughable, even farcical, of course they need us, there will be frictionless trade between both parties whether you chose to believe it or not. We don't have to buy our "wine, fruits and cars" from them, but can you imagine the furore from the german car manufacturers if their governments doesn't do anything to help two way traffic, it's unimaginable.

If we buy more goods from the EU than they buy from us, do you honestly believe that european businesses would want all that to cease just because of a intransigent EU Council, most sensible people would say not, doesn't it make sense to you, or do you want to see the UK suffer like a lot of posters on here.

I couldn't help noticing the irony in that particular poster referring to our "small little Island" when his own is very much smaller & is largely dependent on the one he continually slags off ????

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More Brexiteer folly.

The only thing a new ‘hardline Brexit’ team will reliably slash is the value of the pound and the British economy.

Compare it as another red bus election trial to become PM from Bojo (don't think it is "Beau Jo..".???? ) I think in such a case the GBP goes "Nautilus depth" , by international banking system .

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

1940. It was called "The Battle of Britain" for a reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

I think it would be closer to the truth if you claimed that Germany was acting alone.

the reason it was called “the battle of Britain” is because it happened over Britain, much like the battle of El Alamein happened in El Alamein, Egypt, but was not so called because it involved Egyptian Forces v Germany.

787F7FF8-D6FB-4439-8A82-56515DD36D81.jpeg

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Michel Barnier has thrown down the gauntlet and stated that "we will never renegotiate the withdrawal agreement" This is aimed at any future PM.

Looks like we will walk away then and you go potless.

Let the games begin ….

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

UK will suffer, no doubt about it. Also EU. But it is common sense that a community of 500 Mill. will have less problems. 

You will suffer because of stupid stubborn politicians with stupid ideas. 

Not willing to pay bills will not create a good climate for any kind of negotiation. 

And as you could See there is already a cross party preventing UK crashing out of EU without a deal. 

1 minute ago, jany123 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

I think it would be closer to the truth if you claimed that Germany was acting alone.

the reason it was called “the battle of Britain” is because it happened over Britain, much like the battle of El Alamein happened in El Alamein, Egypt, but was not so called because it involved Egyptian Forces v Germany.

787F7FF8-D6FB-4439-8A82-56515DD36D81.jpeg

So the 1940 Luftwaffe attempt to destroy the RAF to enable German invasion of the UK is all a myth then? 

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

UK will suffer, no doubt about it. Also EU. But it is common sense that a community of 500 Mill. will have less problems. 

You will suffer because of stupid stubborn politicians with stupid ideas. 

Not willing to pay bills will not create a good climate for any kind of negotiation. 

And as you could See there is already a cross party preventing UK crashing out of EU without a deal. 

We have already seen the futility of "negotiations" with the EU. 

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Unfortunately karma is a myth for sheep and what goes around does not come around. We should send the French a bill for liberating them twice from the Germans in two wars.

Remember her H. was on your doorstep …..

Just now, nauseus said:

We have already seen the futility of "negotiations" with the EU. 

Well setting off without a plan and trying to dream one up on the way.

Hiding the truth from the British public and trying to hide the deal from Parliament.

But let’s blame the EU.

It’s always somebody else’s fault,

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The sad thing is not so much that Brexiteer leaders know what buttons to push and how to deceive the mob into following them. It really is that those people are stupid enough to still believe all the nonsense and false promises. The same guy who promised them 350 million a week now claims you can just walk away from your financial obligations, and they get all excited again. And then they complain when they’re being called uneducated fools. Can’t wait for the day when also this bubble bursts and they jump onto the next unicorn. 

Absolutely!

It's hard to see how our country can survive without perpetual oversight and guidance from Germany with a little influence from Latvia on occasion. What will become of us, the fifth largest economy in the world, when we are out of the Project. I have never been so worried in all my life. 

All that aside why are you going to enjoy the day which iyo the bubble will burst? Do you dislike us that much?

4 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Electoral promises,

we all know what it means.

Yep , probably re painting that red bus already ….:cheesy:, because Bojo knows  they will believe his whish full lies once more …… desperation start ruling Divided Kingdom 

Archived