UK not paying Brexit bill would be debt default, French source says

webfact

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well setting off without a plan and trying to dream one up on the way.

Hiding the truth from the British public and trying to hide the deal from Parliament.

But let’s blame the EU.

It’s always somebody else’s fault,

I agree with your observations. But how could all this happen, I wonder?

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

So the 1940 Luftwaffe attempt to destroy the RAF to enable German invasion of the UK is all a myth then? 

Why not go back to WW1 or 18th century or invasion of Vikings??? 

You got a trauma with a dominating Germany. 

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

Why not go back to WW1 or 18th century or invasion of Vikings??? 

You got a trauma with a dominating Germany. 

And you gotta look back at the previous posts. 

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Boris has been shown many many times to be a proven compulsive liar who cares not what the truth is and says whatever he thinks people want to hear.

In his book the dream of Rome written about 2006 he is very keen on the EU likening to the Roman Empire. At the end he argues that Turkey should be allowed to join the EU, seems to have changed his tune.

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

After all what?

Oh, you mean the second world war? Well the real saviours were the USA. And they paid for the Marshall Plan too. So actually the Europeans should thank the Americans, not the UK.

Otherwise, it is a matter of paying your debts. Don't pay your debts and you become a defaulter of sovereign debt. Not a good place to be for a country like the UK who, post Brexit, will need all the credit it can get.

I think “real saviours” is going overboard a bit. Many experts seem to believe that the involuntary US involvement in ww2 simply sped up the defeat of Germany, which was almost a foregone conclusion after the enigma code was broken (allowing allied and US ships to operate freely in the Atlantic) along with Germany’s attack of the Soviet’s.

often overlooked is how the US would have faired without commonwealth supplied forward operating points in Britain, North Africa and Australia.

9 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

UK will suffer, no doubt about it. Also EU. But it is common sense that a community of 500 Mill. will have less problems. 

You will suffer because of stupid stubborn politicians with stupid ideas. 

Not willing to pay bills will not create a good climate for any kind of negotiation. 

And as you could See there is already a cross party preventing UK crashing out of EU without a deal. 

So the UK will suffer and the EU will suffer, so who are being intransigent in these discussions, certainly not the UK. Should the UK leave without a deal Mr Barnier will have a lot to answer for, he has dug his heels in and refuses to budge to matter how much damage he does to both sides.

As for your remark about 500 million will have less problems, au contraire, not all the 500 million are contributors, there will be many more hungry mouths to feed.

But whether as Jeremy Hunt stated that Angela Merkel said she would be ready to look again at the withdrawal agreement is anybodies guess, it seems to me that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

4 hours ago, jany123 said:

We did not “rescue” them (France). Instead we fulfilled mutual treaty obligations that were cornerstones to International geopolitical policies when Germany invaded Belgium in WW1 and Poland in WW2. 

The real reason why Belgium got involved and occupied in WW1 is that Belgium would stay neutral same as The Netherlands in the pure politic war between U.K and Germany (Prussia that time ) .

But the Germany demanded free passage for their Troops , which Neutrality make a laughing thing …, geological Belgium was unfortumnally the shortest crossing …..

Maybe we should let them pass considering your stand of view now ..?

BTW: did all of you her that the German war machine can at a stand still of 1 simple civilian …. who opened the water house holding valves …. and flooded the Yser plains , so all of their advance stopped , and gave the Brits time to mobilize and act 

Later that man image was printed on a 500Belg. Franc note 

23 minutes ago, nauseus said:

So the 1940 Luftwaffe attempt to destroy the RAF to enable German invasion of the UK is all a myth then? 

No.... your claim that Britain “stood alone” was inaccurate as demonstrated.

15 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Jany's post was inaccurate. Even got the El Alamein bit wrong...

We are slipping off topic, but I would welcome a pm explaining how I was wrong in my analogy, if your so inclined. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The US decided that Germany and Japan would not be punished by reparations after WW2 as Germany had after WW1 (very heavy reparations mainly driven by France which has been wrecked badly). The US thought that by not subject them to reparations, and positively aiding their rebuilding, keeping people busy, would stop them rising militarily and starting another war. And they've been proved right. 

Although the US ironically held a very large amount of debt on it's own allies for both WW's which it collected! 

Call that just bribing a serious competitor .... to their influence under A-bom treat …. very clever played as both became economic super powers 

3 minutes ago, jany123 said:

I think “real saviours” is going overboard a bit. Many experts seem to believe that the involuntary US involvement in ww2 simply sped up the defeat of Germany, which was almost a foregone conclusion after the enigma code was broken (allowing allied and US ships to operate freely in the Atlantic) along with Germany’s attack of the Soviet’s.

often overlooked is how the US would have faired without commonwealth supplied forward operating points in Britain, North Africa and Australia.

That's what you were told in school, simply falsification of history. 

Without US Britain would have been defeated. 

To former reply concerning Marshall plan :

It was just too expensive to feed 80 mill Germans. So US decided to help them to support themselves. 

That was the beginning of German Wirtschaftswunder. 

45 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nothing really better than a bit of good old Brexiteer WWII jingoism.

All we need now is a squadron of Spitfires flying over (but please not with Polish pilots).

Alas they were all shot down by a Junker 3 years ago????

1 hour ago, potless said:

The E.U. intends to make it as difficult as possible as a deterrent to other countries.

You sure are right concerning not paying your tab.... to be continued ….

20 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

That's what you were told in school, simply falsification of history. 

Without US Britain would have been defeated. 

To former reply concerning Marshall plan :

It was just too expensive to feed 80 mill Germans. So US decided to help them to support themselves. 

That was the beginning of German Wirtschaftswunder. 

Not so. I have no recollection whatsoever of being told this in school, oh so many years ago

Experts are still writing opinions on this topic till this day, largely driven by the return of isolationistic policies being championed by the current US presidency.

2 minutes ago, aright said:

Hard to believe! Junker pilots are normally too drunk to shoot anything down.

I know its hard to believe they have aced by a pisshead on the bright side a new squadron of tiger moths will take to the sky's with wing commander Boris ???? 

42 minutes ago, jany123 said:

Wrong. The Commonwealth effort and sacrifice is not forgotten by those who remember!

7 hours ago, terryw said:

Macron does not seem to understand the difference between being unable to pay (default) and not willing to pay until there is a better deal (negotiation).

He also failed to mention that they have failed to pay their share for NATO for a long, long time, so..........pay back time Dude and by the way you still owe us for 1944 because you were incapable of defending yourselves!

44 minutes ago, david555 said:

The real reason why Belgium got involved and occupied in WW1 is that Belgium would stay neutral same as The Netherlands in the pure politic war between U.K and Germany (Prussia that time ) .

But the Germany demanded free passage for their Troops , which Neutrality make a laughing thing …, geological Belgium was unfortumnally the shortest crossing …..

Maybe we should let them pass considering your stand of view now ..?

BTW: did all of you her that the German war machine can at a stand still of 1 simple civilian …. who opened the water house holding valves …. and flooded the Yser plains , so all of their advance stopped , and gave the Brits time to mobilize and act 

Later that man image was printed on a 500Belg. Franc note 

Geological Belgium? Here ya go you old fossil:

Scutellu.jpg

Scutellum flabelliferum

1 hour ago, potless said:

The E.U. intends to make it as difficult as possible as a deterrent to other countries.

What a lovely, friendly club this is. Why on earth would anyone want to leave. You pay more than your fair share, built it up and then get hit with a huge bill. Hopefully someone will tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

The anti 'Britishness' on this thread and others astound me. Especially from other Europeans, Americans pretending to be British and others who quite frankly come across as jealous.  people voted leave, respect it.

The constant whinging and shouting the UK people and industry down is tiresome. those that love the EU well you are welcome to it. I can now see why there is so much resentment towards the EU.

Thank you for all those posters who have for over 3 years constantly shouted down the UK on here. You have convinced myself and many others what we already knew. We are best out of the EU. Those left wing, liberals in the UK who shout and throw milkshakes at people, you are doing a great job too.

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Geological Belgium? Here ya go you old fossil:

Scutellu.jpg

Scutellum flabelliferum

I think you even don't understand geological in the meaning where a country is situated, cheap way of denying a war fact ….

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Wrong. The Commonwealth effort and sacrifice is not forgotten by those who remember!

Never a truer statement made. “Not forgotten by those who remember”. Thanks

unfortunately fewer and fewer people remember, whilst many actors attempt to alter history to suit their own agenda. 

For example, someone posted earlier that Britain stood alone against Germany during the Battle of Britain. Another example might be in the rise in the number of holocaust deniers as well as a normalization (or seeming acceptance) of white nationalism.

12 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

He also failed to mention that they have failed to pay their share for NATO for a long, long time, so.......

Don't tell me that you believe all what Mr. Trump is saying ??? :ohmy:

Reality is that all NATO countries were up to date to their share on last 2018 report. :thumbsup:

As he often do, Mr. Trump used the wrong vocabulary. NATO money is ok, but it's the money target of 2% for each country for their own defense that is not reached.

See:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/world/europe/nato-trump-spending.html

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

What a lovely, friendly club this is. Why on earth would anyone want to leave. You pay more than your fair share, built it up and then get hit with a huge bill. Hopefully someone will tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

The anti 'Britishness' on this thread and others astound me. Especially from other Europeans, Americans pretending to be British and others who quite frankly come across as jealous.  people voted leave, respect it.

The constant whinging and shouting the UK people and industry down is tiresome. those that love the EU well you are welcome to it. I can now see why there is so much resentment towards the EU.

Thank you for all those posters who have for over 3 years constantly shouted down the UK on here. You have convinced myself and many others what we already knew. We are best out of the EU. Those left wing, liberals in the UK who shout and throw milkshakes at people, you are doing a great job too.

One more time ….. leaving is not difficult , you can do that by putting one foot at the time , running or stepping , even crawling on your belly …. but it must be done at least and of course in to the direction of the exit door , not doing it in circles as now & hoping of better proposals which is idle hope ….. your leaving obstacle lies in the U.K. politics … not in the E.U...… it starts more looking as 

abandonment anxiety

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

What's all this 'Anti-Britishness' hogwash?

Brexit is a binary, either in or out of the EU.

I'm quite certain that those on both sides of the argument believe they have the best interests of Britain at heart. 

Nobody is 'shouting the UK down'. 

Though there are those who wish to destroy the UK's partnership with its main trading partner and replace it with trade agreements that don't actually exist, ignoring that good old British folk wisdom, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

Away with you and your small minded attempt to paste all those who disagree with your as being 'Anti-British[ness]'.

Archived