Scams everywhere these days

colinneil

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Good point mate, no i am not sure.

I find it quite difficult to pick ladyboys, unless they are blatant. My Thai GF is unerring, can pick them from 50 metres away.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bluesofa said:

Surely, on your boy racer scooter you're at the right height to get a bird's eye view of any extras in nookie department?

Correct, but as nothing works in that department anymore, i wasnt looking.????️‍♀️

10 hours ago, Letseng said:

I wonder how someone can top up my sim but use the credit on another phone number.? 

its quite easy, you can "share credit with the friend"

just enter a prefix code, the friends number and the amount.

My ex gf could do in about 4 seconds flat

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I experienced a brilliant scam here. My wife needed her wedding ring expanded as it had become too tight (like many of my clothes ????), and we left it with a shop in Central, Bang Na. Weeks or months later we were in a place with UV lighting and noticed that some of the stones in the ring were a different colour. We discovered that many of the diamonds had been replaced with glass while the ring was being serviced. Normally, how would you ever know? And how could you prove it? 

Like when you take your PC for a repair. Unless you are careful your memory and/or processor can be replaced with something smaller/less powerful.

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

It only takes a minute to transfer the balance.  Not difficult.  I have 4 sims and do it all the time.  

Which is not what has been done here.

2 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

its quite easy, you can "share credit with the friend"

just enter a prefix code, the friends number and the amount.

My ex gf could do in about 4 seconds flat

Since Colin's SIM was debited after internet use, it looks like something different happened here.

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Like when you take your PC for a repair. Unless you are careful your memory and/or processor can be replaced with something smaller/less powerful.

Something I only ever considered when my wife had an Asus laptop - left it in the Asus centre, but my own PC I take and watch any work done that I don't want to do myself.

I got caught only once - oil change on a CBR400 cost me 800 baht about ten years ago, but they also replaced the genuine alternator on the quiet with some hand wound job that saw me stranded within 2 days...

Similarly with my phone - after 3 years the battery performance could use a boost... it's worth standing for half an hour waiting while they replace the battery rather than be lazy and leave it with them to pick up later.

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I experienced a brilliant scam here. My wife needed her wedding ring expanded as it had become too tight (like many of my clothes ????), and we left it with a shop in Central, Bang Na. Weeks or months later we were in a place with UV lighting and noticed that some of the stones in the ring were a different colour. We discovered that many of the diamonds had been replaced with glass while the ring was being serviced. Normally, how would you ever know? And how could you prove it?

Happened to me in America.  Best have the ring appraised at a jeweler and keep the appraisal in a safe place.  

29 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

You should go back next Saturday and ask for more top up from the same woman, if she is there, as if nothing has happened. Might be interesting to check if A== have really done owt!

Rooster

Looks like a glutton for punishment there!

On 6/10/2019 at 8:13 AM, faraday said:

B*st*ard!

Right everyone, let's have a whip round - no, you pervs not that,  :cheesy: & send Colin a few bob (shillings in old UK money)

I'm in for 50baht....

I doubt its the money that Col is worried about

What happens when you need the phone and some low life has drained the balance

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Since Colin's SIM was debited after internet use, it looks like something different happened here.

ok, im just speculate with this, 

but maybe she turn on his mobile data for the scam and then hand it back to him without turning off?

i doubt Colin would have checked?

Some of them can be expensive.

My experience with AIS company, using pay as you go turn on/off data, they seem to chew up money by the minute even if you not using any download data.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

we have this service back home, one acct multiple sims attached to it.  looks like ais has it too. https://www.ais.co.th/postpaid/multisimpackage/en/?intcid=getpage-en-header_menu-consumer_menu-postpaid_submenu1-ontop_internet_submenu2-multisim_submenu3

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Another reason why I had $5k worth of diamonds I bought for Mrs NL set in a old ring by a jeweler back in my much more expensive homeland. I still invested in a jewelers loupe so I could check the laser-etched serial numbers before paying for the job.

The buggers here just can't help themselves.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:30 AM, Kasane said:

Lesson. Never trust anyone with phone, credit card, or money, especially those who look trustworthy. We are marked and its good to keep the guard up. 

Successful long-time expats in Thailand develop a persistent but not visible distrust of Thais. 

All Thais are not dishonest, but enough are that it makes a default distrusting attitude toward them a more efficient strategy. 

What many expats don't know because... 

1. They can't understand Thai and 

2. Marry into low class families 

... is that most Thais also treat other Thais the same way. There are good reasons most Thais don't trust each other and only trust their families and very close friends. 

This is one area where it is probably better to be more Thai. 

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

... is that most Thais also treat other Thais the same way. There are good reasons most Thais don't trust each other and only trust their families and very close friends. 

In almost every discussion involving Westerners in Thailand those who comment that Westerners are not wanted, we are not treated as guests, get ripped off, are always to blame in an accident etc... In almost every facet of everyday life where a Westerner feels they have been treated negatively they fail to recognise that they have been afforded the exact same indifference with which Thai's treat each other...  and we ourselves treat each other in our home countries... 

We are nothing special here but some expect special treatment and cry foul when they are treated in the same manner Thai's treat each other and everyone else. 

2 hours ago, monkeycu said:

I doubt its the money that Col is worried about

What happens when you need the phone and some low life has drained the balance

You are spot on there mate, i am home alone stuck in my chair, if i get a problem, i need my phone to summon help.

About 3 months ago i was crossing the pickup parking area when ...Crack oh s++t, the cross member below my chair snapped, wheels were at about 45 degree angle, i could not move, stuck there till my wife got home, now i carry my phone in the pocket on the back of my chair.

3 hours ago, myjawe said:

why i just do not believe this stupid story ?

Up to you if you dont believe what i posted, look at my last post, just above then ...Stop/ think.

Clearly you are not disabled, and can easily get to these top up machines and do it yourself, i cant, because i cannot move, have to be strapped on my scooter or else i will fall of, due to having no balance what so ever.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Successful long-time expats in Thailand develop a persistent but not visible distrust of Thais. 

All Thais are not dishonest, but enough are that it makes a default distrusting attitude toward them a more efficient strategy. 

What many expats don't know because... 

1. They can't understand Thai and 

2. Marry into low class families 

This is one area where it is probably better to be more Thai. 

They trust their families?

When me and ex visited her family (her sister house but have other family next door)

she was always looking for a good hiding

spot for the purse.

under pillow, (inserted in pillowslip) was always a favourite. 

Archived