Road of Death: Five dead motorcyclists in one year because of dangerous "forbidden" rut

webfact

Road of Death: Five dead motorcyclists in one year because of dangerous "forbidden" rut

10pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Ruam Katanyu rescue foundation worker told Daily News that five motorcyclists had died at a bridge on the Kanchanaphisek - Bang Khae Road in the last year alone.

Sirichai Amsuk said that a 20 meter long, four inch wide rut on the fast lane of the three lane bridge was to blame for making the motorcyclists come off their machines. 

The latest death was Chukiat Khumtinkaew, 23, early this morning. 

He came off and was crushed to death by a an Isuzu that was being driven by a man on his way home to Rama 2 from a funeral in Suphanburi.

Sirichai told the media that strictly speaking motorcycles were not meant to be on the bridge but many did use it and paid the price. Normal vehicles are not affected by the rut, he said.

He called on the authorities to address the situation. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-10

How many casualties do they need to address this simple problem ? In most civilized country the victim's family could sue for such a thing.

I just hope the solution will not be a shitty concrete patch that will turn to sand within a week.

41 minutes ago, yokat said:

How many casualties do they need to address this simple problem ? In most civilized country the victim's family could sue for such a thing.

I just hope the solution will not be a shitty concrete patch that will turn to sand within a week.

From OP

Sirichai told the media that strictly speaking motorcycles were not meant to be on the bridge

Seems that they are agents of their own misfortune.

On the old road from Lamphun to Chiang Mai there was a deep pothole that would have had any motorcyclist off, and it was exactly where motorcyclists would ride. It was there for a very long time.

In LOS, one needs to be always vigilant. No nanny state to hold our hands.

those motorcycles should not be on the fast lane, and certainly not on the bridge simple as, I beleive punishment fits crime and we need more motorcycle prevention accessories/devices on bridges and roads all over

sensible bikers do not cut vehicles up at slow speeds

lets see more of these in future please thailand

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Sirichai told the media that strictly speaking motorcycles were not meant to be on the bridge

5 hours ago, webfact said:

on the fast lane of the three lane bridge was to blame for making the motorcyclists come off their machines

Motorbikes on the bridge not withstanding. Motorbike are supposed to use the left lane! 

Edit: Just a thought? Normal bike tires might make it but super skinny drag racing specials?

Years ago here I bought a 2nd hand motorcycle with skinny tyres they young ones put on, All I can say is why it was darn right dangerous and after a few times getting into a few of these ruts and almost coming off I was straight into a shop and got wider tyres fitted.

The bike after that was a joy to ride.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Sirichai told the media that strictly speaking motorcycles were not meant to be on the bridge but many did use it

So again Thai people just don't care about rules and 5 dead because they not respect rules and regulations 

here it is not government to blame but Thai people there not care about rules 

Motorbikes aren't even supposed to be on the bridge ... but hey, who cares about the rules huh. If you disregard the law then you are rolling-the-dice (probably still rolling-the-dice if you do follow it), so deal with the downside if you get caught out as there is no nanny state here.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, webfact said:

strictly speaking motorcycles

As a non-native English speaker I don´t understand. Makes no sense for me. I never saw a speaking motorcycle.

23 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Motorbike are supposed to use the left lane! 

Slow moving vehicles are supposed to use the left lane...if a motorcycle can't use the right hand lane how would they ever do a U-turn ?

1 minute ago, johng said:

Slow moving vehicles are supposed to use the left lane...if a motorcycle can't use the right hand lane how would they ever do a U-turn ?

Right. And they are only allowed to overtake on the right side. If there is a very slow truck on the left lane, they have to drive on the right lane.

4 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Still makes no sense for me. Speaking motorcycles?

Ok I think  it should be

"Strictly speaking, motorcycles are not meant to be on the bridges but many do use them."

"strictly"   in this case meaning according to the road traffic law.

18 minutes ago, johng said:

Ok I think  it should be

"Strictly speaking, motorcycles are not meant to be on the bridges but many do use them."

"strictly"   in this case meaning according to the road traffic law.

Ha, now I understand. And some people say grammar is not important. With a comma it makes sense. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

That may be correct, but why is it running lengthwise? Back home they are always running the width of the bridge.

Don't know this particular place but would assume some type of structural movement joint directly underneath because it not something you would generally design on a road surface in that direction.

The width also appears to indicate excessive movement but there are many different types of flexible control joint fillers that would still allow moment without the obvious current issues.

Maybe this is why they banned motorcylces as the article states?

Archived