Thai Online Shopping Update + 11Street.co.th is dead?

TallGuyJohninBKK

Part A:

Went to price and buy something yesterday that I had seen in the past on 11Street . co . th, and I find the site seems to be down, and I tried them both with a Thai and intl internet connection, just in case. I did a Google search, and didn't find any mention/news that the Thailand operation had folded, but also saw no mention of them in the news at all in recent months. Anyone know anything re them having folded???

11Street.jpg.e74344a136c4ebe1ef2ef5a69dcf4961.jpg

Part B:

In searching around re 11Street, I came across a BKK Post article from late May on a survey of the top e-commerce sellers in the ASEAN  region, including a breakdown by country including Thailand. Can't link to the BP article here under forum rules, but the article included a link to the survey and its charts that was the basis for the article. So I can link to the actual 3rd party survey here... as follows:

https://ipricethailand.com/insights/mapofecommerce/en/

The Map of E-Commerce ranks Thailand’s top e-commerce players based on their average quarterly traffic, mobile application ranking, social media followers and number of staff. Data was collected in April 2019.

It basically just shows that for now, there are only TWO major e-commerce players based in Thailand -- Lazada and Shopee -- and everybody else are bit players by comparison... (Obviously, the charts below seem to exclude foreign-based e-commerce sellers such as AliExpress and others).

A lot of the smaller players listed on the charts below, I've barely even heard of before...and have no idea what range of things they may sell.

BTW, 11Street is listed on the charts below at #21, with very small values, which kinda makes me think they may have disappeared sometime during the quarter.

462183720_ThaiE-Commerce2019a.jpg.1b91520b69549aaa17020a9a540b033a.jpg

1796244438_ThaiE-Commerce2019b.jpg.b5e1568c14962319c49ee17f0fddf47c.jpg

1583525650_ThaiE-Commerce2019c.jpg.c5af720b998a47d1a7e9c97bd83e629c.jpg

Yup they disappeared around 1 year ago. I guess they could not survive just by giving out discount coupons all the time.

JD Central took over from them with the same concept but I think they should survive with backing from Central group and they also sell household items and food.

Thanks!!!  

There was a time when 11thStreet was plastering the BTS trains and stations with all kind of advertising.... And now, poof!, gone!  And I searched Google by name, and couldn't find any EN language media article saying they had gone out of business... So much for journalism here...

The only recent article I saw on 11th Street TH was about a year ago saying they had been losing money, big money, and that the Mahagatsiri family had bought in as investors (not clear if that was 11Street Thailand only, or the broader Asian operation).... that being the family behind Nestle coffee and a bunch of the western food franchises in Thailand -- IHOP, Taco Bell, Cinnabon, Krispy Kreme and others....

As for JD, according to the above survey, they're barely making a blip on the radar screen, about 1/20th the level of monthly web visits going to Shopee (1.5M vs 31M)...and even less compared to Lazada.

Archived