VFS Thailand to UK: Allow extra time for visa application

VFS Thailand to UK: Allow extra time for visa application

ukvfs.jpg

People who plan to visit the UK and need to apply for a visa at the VFS centre at Trendy Building in Bangkok have been advised to allow extra time for application processing. 

UK in Thailand shared a post to their Facebook page recommending people apply as early as they can due to current high levels of applications.   

"UKVI’s global service standard for non-settlement visa is 15 working days from the date of your appointment at the Visa Application Centre. Working days do not include weekends or public holidays so it is important to apply at least three weeks in advance. 

"We would like to update that the current levels of applications are very high. Please make sure you apply as early as you can, and choose the correct services to suit your date of travel." 

You are there to do a job, stop whinging about having to work and do the JOB your paid to do, be that for a Visas or even Passport renewal, I would expect swift and speedy response all the time. . 

58 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

You are there to do a job, stop whinging about having to work and do the JOB your paid to do, be that for a Visas or even Passport renewal, I would expect swift and speedy response all the time. . 

Welcome to the world of government cuts and economising!  

What exactly has changed with vfs global recently though? I just did an application on June 1st and everything down at trendy seemed to be the same as the previous years we had done them, last time my wife got a decision on her visitor visa in like 4 working days or something and that was February last year when they were being sent to India also I believe?

3 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

No one was whinging about anything, they were issuing advice to visa applicants so that they could be aware of applying in time!

You'd expect a "swift and speedy response"?  Are they different?  Why wouldn't you go further and expect a swift, speedy, fast and quick response?

Welcome to the world of high levels of applications and VFS doing the right thing by advising people to apply in time.
Save that VFS aren’t advising anybody of anything, it’s the UKVI who are advising potential applicants that they may not be able to meet their published time scales, then go on to push their premium services which enable applicants to pay to jump the queue.

My partner applied for a tourist visa last April...her 6th application.

Previously,fast and efficient. This time an unmitigated disaster!

i made 4 attempts online,each time there was a problem with the system. There is NO telephone line to the agency3 emails and one apology later,I managed to successfully complete the online application. 

The main issue appears to revolve around repeated attempts by the system to persuade you to purchase an “enhanced service”...gold/silver ect.

It is very difficult to manoeuvre around this to do the standard application. (Surprise!)

When eventually an appointment was made for 1pm,she was there 15 min early...had her paper work checked promptly and then QUEUED FOR 6hours!!! The place was packed like a cattle shed. She eventually finished at 7pm!

The appointment process is broken!

I suspect this to be a result of encouraging Gold and silver packages which cost more and allow you to queue jump.

As always,money trumps everything!

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, theoldgit said:

Save that VFS aren’t advising anybody of anything, it’s the UKVI who are advising potential applicants that they may not be able to meet their published time scales, then go on to push their premium services which enable applicants to pay to jump the queue.

One and the same thing, as, pedanticism apart, you very well know.  Perhaps VFS warned UKVI and the advice has to come from the latter.

Their premium services were not even mentioned in the OP, never mind "pushed".

One and the same thing, as, pedanticism apart, you very well know.  Perhaps VFS warned UKVI and the advice has to come from the latter.

No. The delays are with the processing in India which is entirely UKVI related. Nothing to do with the VFS operation in Bangkok.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No. The delays are with the processing in India which is entirely UKVI related. Nothing to do with the VFS operation in Bangkok.

"...The delays are with the processing in India..."

That's irrelevant as far as I, and anyone who is affected, is concerned; my point was that advice was being given to ensure that applicants were aware that there may be delays.  That is perfectly reasonable and to be commended.

A poster here was whinging that someone, UKVI, VSF, whoever, it doesn't matter, was complaining about having to work and that they should stop complaining and get on with their job.   That was a 100% incorrect assessment and the reason for my comment.

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Not one and the same thing at all, and certainly not pedantic, and as for your comment that the expensive premium services were not even mentioned in the the OP, the clue in the post was “Find more detail about Premium Services https://bit.ly/2KECBD6

VFS are no more than a private company  who capture biometric data and upload supporting evidence from those who need to avail themselves of that service.

It’s the UKVI who actually process the applications and have advised “customers”, via the UK in Thailand’s social media portal, that they’re busy at the moment, as they usually are at this time of the year, then go on to advise applicants that they can pay a premium to have their applications pushed to the front of the queue.

You might find that acceptable, but I don’t.

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

That is perfectly reasonable and to be commended.

Little more than sugar-coating of the bitter pill arising from the whole visa application - as well as passport renewal - operation from Thailand being one big colossal Home Office mess, I think.

Why exactly is it so busy right now anyway? 
There are normally a fair few students applying to study in the UK at this time of the year and of course the increases in visit applicants in the summer.
Keep in mind that the Delhi office doesn’t just process applications from Thailand.

14 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Not one and the same thing at all, and certainly not pedantic, and as for your comment that the expensive premium services were not even mentioned in the the OP, the clue in the post was “Find more detail about Premium Services https://bit.ly/2KECBD6

VFS are no more than a private company  who capture biometric data and upload supporting evidence from those who need to avail themselves of that service.

It’s the UKVI who actually process the applications and have advised “customers”, via the UK in Thailand’s social media portal, that they’re busy at the moment, as they usually are at this time of the year, then go on to advise applicants that they can pay a premium to have their applications pushed to the front of the queue.

You might find that acceptable, but I don’t.

Just to make this clear, my following comments are not a discussion about moderation!

"...as for your comment that the expensive premium services were not even mentioned in the the OP, the clue in the post was “Find more detail about Premium Services https://bit.ly/2KECBD6”

Premium services was not mentioned in the OP.  You are quoting from a Thai language link in the OP to their Facebook page and that service was not directly mentioned in the OP

"...then go on to advise applicants that they can pay a premium to have their applications pushed to the front of the queue".

Not in the OP they didn't, unless the Thai language ad is clicked on.

"You might find that acceptable, but I don’t".

Yes, if I was short of time to get a visa I probably would find it acceptable, whether you do, or not, is your issue not mine and irrelevant to the comment that I made about the service not being mentioned in the OP.  To reiterate, that service was not directly mentioned in the OP.

14 hours ago, OJAS said:

Little more than sugar-coating of the bitter pill arising from the whole visa application - as well as passport renewal - operation from Thailand being one big colossal Home Office mess, I think.

I got my new passport in December and it was not a colossal mess, it was straightforward and speedy, well within the time scale that was advised to me.

10 hours ago, davejonesbkk said:

Why exactly is it so busy right now anyway? 

We called the helpline (£1.37 per minute) last week and, after a long wait, spoke to a gentleman with an Indian accent. He told me that processing is currently slow because lots of foreigners want to go and watch cricket in England. In my view it's more likely related to under-staffing, inefficiency, profit from premium services, and/or the UK hostile environment.

I echo what @Flyfish said. Our application process for a standard UK visitor visa this time has been absolutely horrendous. The application form gets longer each year, with more and more futile statements to the effect that the applicant is not involved in terrorism, genocide etc.. And now specific dates are required for all overseas trips in the last 10 years. Last year, only the month was required. If you've traveled a lot, it takes a very long time to complete that section.

Once you're over that hurdle, the VFS site is pathetically unstable and ambiguous. We were battling it for days just to get as far as making an appointment. Their IT people should be ashamed.

And finally, the slow UKVI processing means that it's likely we have to cancel a subsequent Schengen visa application and planned trip to Europe, forfeiting paid-for flights and a lot of planning, because we're simply running out of time. We did consider the UK priority visa service, but as it was 10,120 Baht on top of the other charges. In hindsight we should have caved and paid it.

Next time we'll go somewhere more welcoming.

16 hours ago, thaitanic said:

We called the helpline (£1.37 per minute) last week and, after a long wait, spoke to a gentleman with an Indian accent. He told me that processing is currently slow because lots of foreigners want to go and watch cricket in England. In my view it's more likely related to under-staffing, inefficiency, profit from premium services, and/or the UK hostile environment.

I echo what @Flyfish said. Our application process for a standard UK visitor visa this time has been absolutely horrendous. The application form gets longer each year, with more and more futile statements to the effect that the applicant is not involved in terrorism, genocide etc.. And now specific dates are required for all overseas trips in the last 10 years. Last year, only the month was required. If you've traveled a lot, it takes a very long time to complete that section.

Once you're over that hurdle, the VFS site is pathetically unstable and ambiguous. We were battling it for days just to get as far as making an appointment. Their IT people should be ashamed.

And finally, the slow UKVI processing means that it's likely we have to cancel a subsequent Schengen visa application and planned trip to Europe, forfeiting paid-for flights and a lot of planning, because we're simply running out of time. We did consider the UK priority visa service, but as it was 10,120 Baht on top of the other charges. In hindsight we should have caved and paid it.

Next time we'll go somewhere more welcoming.

I might call regarding our application if I haven't heard anything by next week. Approx. how long were you on the phone for? Were they actually able to tell you anything about your own application?

On 6/14/2019 at 8:55 AM, davejonesbkk said:

I might call regarding our application if I haven't heard anything by next week. Approx. how long were you on the phone for? Were they actually able to tell you anything about your own application?

We applied last month. Took 19 working days.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:44 AM, Khun Paul said:

Everybody can not fit in the same room at the same time.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:06 AM, theoldgit said:

There are normally a fair few students applying to study in the UK at this time of the year and of course the increases in visit applicants in the summer.
Keep in mind that the Delhi office doesn’t just process applications from Thailand.

Because the Pound is good value for Thais 40 B/£ 

On 6/13/2019 at 12:40 PM, Just Weird said:

I got my new passport in December and it was not a colossal mess, it was straightforward and speedy, well within the time scale that was advised to me.

Same here.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:06 AM, theoldgit said:

The £ pound is of good value at 40 Baht /£ pound. 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:55 AM, davejonesbkk said:

I think it was 25 minutes before I was connected to someone. They say they don't charge until you're connected, so I just paid the small Skype fee and did something else while I waited. Unfortunately the first time I called, my credit card was rejected for payment so I wasn't connected and used a different credit card the 2nd time.

An update to our UK visa situation: We received an SMS from VMS exactly 3 weeks to the day from the day of my girlfriend's appointment, and she went over there at 13:30 and picked up the passport with the visa. So it's not really a significant delay, but because of the appointment delay you really have to get started at least 5 weeks before your trip, preferably 6, if you want to avoid high costs and high stress.

Archived