PM Prayut orders fair prices for medicines and medical services

webfact

20 hours ago, webfact said:

PM Prayut orders fair prices for medicines and medical services

I see nothing said by Prayut in the body of the article that he has "ordered" fair prices.

What Prayut said was Thailand has regulations to clearly display the prices of medicines and provide cost estimates to patients before providing medical services. All of which conforms to WHO's resolutions.

The intent with these regulations is that implicit fair prices will be achieved by educating the public on hospital pricing through mandated disclosures. Nothing more.

If private hospital pricing is to be CONTROLLED, there must be legislation to add specific hospital charges for services and products to Thailand's Price of Goods & Services Act of 1999. The Cabinet can propose such amendment to the elected NLA for consideration. Nothing more.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

As are the health care insurance scams, just had a quote from AIA of Thailand, basic in/out patient cover would be 36,000 baht per year for age 60.

At age 61 it goes up to 45,00 per year.. but get this:

most of the payments for daily room, doctors services, anesthetists, etc etc are capped at a level... you have to pay the extra if above.

Surgery is capped at 36,000 baht (one operation per year)

if it's above 36,000 you pay the balance!!!!

All they do is give you your premium back.... what the hell are the covering?

It looks as though health insurance companies aren't regulated in any kind of way in Thailand. What they do, however, is pretty much what health insurances do the world over: a smattering of big headlines ("You're fully insured") with pictures of a happy/healthy family including a baby and a puppy (standard advertising warfare), and if you dig real hard, you'll find in much smaller print the limits and caps and exclusions and gotchas, written in such a way that it's really hard do dissect/interpret for your average-intelligence reader, and next to impossible to compare with other insurances' offers. The result is happy insurance customers, thinking that they're nicely covered, with a rude awakening when an accident/sickness hits the fan... Especially true in Thailand, where the fine print is simply never read. Don't even get me started on insurances sold (or rather: pushed down customer's throats) at Thai banks...

19 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

A paracetamol tablet that would usually cost 1 baht was charged at 16,000 baht?

A minor operation that would normally cost 1,000 baht was invoiced at 160,000 baht?

I know that gross overcharging is routinely practiced at many private hospitals... but 16,000 percent??? I somehow doubt that.

You need a new calculator. 1,000 multiplied by 16,000 equals Sixteen Million!.

Aside from that the report appears to have added zeroes to previously reported figures.

Prayut:Reduce your prices

Hospital :Sorry, what did you say?

Hospital:Sorry,what did you say?

Prayut Statement to the Press :I have asked hospitals to reduce their prices.

Hospital:carry on as normal

1 hour ago, CeeGee said:

Hospital :Sorry, what did you say?

Hospital:Sorry,what did you say?

Prayut Statement to the Press :I have asked hospitals to reduce their prices.

Hospital:carry on as normal

probably more like:  'If you don't charge reasonable prices we will fine you 1,000 baht for each month you don't comply.'

23 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

A paracetamol tablet that would usually cost 1 baht was charged at 16,000 baht?

A minor operation that would normally cost 1,000 baht was invoiced at 160,000 baht?

I know that gross overcharging is routinely practiced at many private hospitals... but 16,000 percent??? I somehow doubt that.

16,000% increase of a price of 1Baht is 160Baht not 16,000Baht !!!

Tothis effort should be added, the enormous cost of nutritional supplements, three to ten times their retail prices overseas. The idea should be to keep people healthy so they don't need as many pharma drugs.

In addition, the formulations of the supplements imported is often with the least efficicacious vitamin components.

On a happier note: I learned from the MOPH that it is completely legal to import one's own supplements and have done so by post many times. 

Fore foreigners resident here, the biggest concern is health insurance. We contribute a lot to Thailand. We should be able to buy govt insurance.

Archived