International driving permit

tjansen

Hello, I hope someone can help. I am a US citizen living in Thailand on a retirement Visa. My Oregon driver's license is expired. My Thai driver's license is current. I am traveling to Poland in October, 2019 and need an international driving permit. How and where can I obtain a permit in Thailand? Thank you for any help. Tom

From what I have read, you need proof of residency. This you get either at the US embassy (I think by appointment, used to be $50) or I believe at immigration using your rental contract. Supposed to be free if you can wait 30 days for it. They might ask you for 500 baht for next day service. I think I saw someone say it was now 1000 baht. Not sure if any of that money is actually required but it makes things move quicker. I did not pay a few years ago.

Did this today at Chonburi (not Pattaya) DLT.

Arrived at 12.45 or so and was out the door by 13.40.

Go to information desk on 4th floor. They check the paperwork and make you sign them and then take you to where you sit down and wait for your name to be called.

Had copies of Passport details page and 3 pages of visas (new passport), entry stamp, and driving licence.

Originals of passport, driving licence and residence certificate and 2 x 2" photos.

Thank you very much for all the details from everyone that replied. And sorry about my late response. I'm not very used to The Forum, and I was thinking I would get an email notification of the replies. It sounds pretty straightforward, and I have some breathing time, since I don't need the permit until October.

4 hours ago, hackjam said:

How does a guy get the residence cert?

At Jomtien they give you a list of the requirements which I didn't keep but from memory (and has been posted before on TV)-

Copies of passport details, visas, entry stamp, and options for proof of address - I used a copy of my driving licence......and 2 passport size photos.

Front desk give you the form and list and you have to fill in. When done take back to the desk where it is checked and they give you a desk/queue number. The girl on the desk will also probably ask exactly what it is for even though it has space on the form to write it in.

I don't know if this will add to the conversation, but I just looked at what I used. It is as follows:

• a form from Thai Immigration titled, NOTIFICATION FROM FOR (SP INC) HOUSE-MASTER, OWNER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED. This probably has one of those form numbers on it, but not on the copy I obtained to use. Actually, this is a form that is supposed to be submitted by the homeowner to Thai Immigration as soon as the person comes to live with them. I don't think that happens in general.
  • the property ownership document, along with a copy of the picture ID of the owner (landlord)
  • a form called NAME OF ALIENS IN RESIDENCE, of which I am the only one.

Thai Immigration stamped the bottom of my 90-day report a couple of years ago, wrote in the address, and stapled that as a 'permanent' in my passport.

I used the same 'aged' forms to get my Thai Driver's License and 'got by' without having to update the documents after a couple of trips to the DMV.

Note: I sometimes have to point to that stapled-in document when asked for my proof of residence at Thai Immigration by various agents at various times. 

Question for topt, were you talking about the Thai Immigration office? Thanks. I may need to do that sometime.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, hackjam said:

How does a guy get the residence cert?

So now I have residence cert and intend to go get International driving permit on Monday.

Do I have to go to Chonburi or can I do in Pattaya?

What documentation do I need to bring, along with my residence cert?

Can any American or any non asian person tell us when not having one has made any difference.?. I proudly waved one about all over the World and the ultimate insult was when its was ignored and details were taken from my Firearms Certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived