New dual track train line to slash travel time between Bangkok, Hua Hin and southern Thailand

webfact

Hua Hin and surrounding areas are going through massive changes.  New enlarged water lines, reaching far out of town, road widening (trees removed), more sewage and waste water,  and lots of new construction. It seems there's a plan to enhance tourism with new sites and access.

Tourism is like a fickled girlfriend/boyfriend, they move on when they find something better. 

Who's paying for all this?

Why make Hua Hin more congested than it is already?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Not sure I would trust being whisked at 160 mile an hour ANYWHERE in Thailand.

Whatever next a Nuclear Power Plant ???

It is travelling a 160km/hr (100mph) not 160 miles per hour. Thailand had an operational Nuclear Reactor on Vipadee Rangsit road since the 1960s and now has a 2MW Nuclear Reactor in Nakorn Nayok for the last 12 years.

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It´s about 190 km to Hua Hin from Bangkok with car. Train will go more straight, which will mean about 1 hour and 15 minutes at a speed of 160 km/h.

As I said in the comment above. Can´t believe anything. Mr. Worawut needs a calculator.

Yes!! But!! Have to stop for every cow on the line. Every crossing open. Every lady selling somtam-(new opportunity!!) And yes even on the elevated sections!! 5555 ????????????????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

And how many Thais will be able to afford this? Second many foreigners will just fly cheaper and faster. This will be the biggest boondoggle in Thailand's history.

According to the information provided 90% of the current Bangkok to Chumphon passengers are tourists and it is a fast train not a high speed bullet Train. No need for the ticket prices to increase significantly. More money should be made by the efficiencies of a dual track system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Next airport after Hua Hin (Air Asia is the only current user) is Surat Thani IIRC, then Krabi and further south- handy for people in between.

Strangely this isn't just about external tourism. Places like PKK and other towns down the isthmus will benefit.

Chumphon has 6 flight in/out each day. Nok and Thai AA.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Estrada said:

It is travelling a 160km/hr (100mph) not 160 miles per hour. Thailand had an operational Nuclear Reactor on Vipadee Rangsit road since the 1960s and now has a 2MW Nuclear Reactor in Nakorn Nayok for the last 12 years.

That is only a 'research reactor'.  There is no nuclear power in Thailand.

Many valid points from contributors.  Assuming the system is used by both Thais and tourists, what will they do for transportation once they reach their destination?  Rent a car or pickup?  I don't see this happening especially among Thai travelers.  The danger of loading their families in the back of their pickups and travelling that way will not be a consideration when they see the cost and time NOT saved in going by rail and then not having their own local transportation.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It´s about 190 km to Hua Hin from Bangkok with car. Train will go more straight, which will mean about 1 hour and 15 minutes at a speed of 160 km/h.

As I said in the comment above. Can´t believe anything. Mr. Worawut needs a calculator.

0 - 160 kph in zero seconds.

160 kph constant speed all the way.  No stops!

160 kph - 0 in zero seconds.

And now back to the real world!

• Like 1

No faster than a car then.....  It usually takes me about 2.5 to 3 hrs to drive to Hua Hin from central Bangkok (about 200km).

Theoretically its possible to achieve Bangkok to Hua Hin times in less than an hour, but I fear this will not happen. At 160kmh its possible in 1.5 hrs and this may attract some without a car, but the convenience of the car and not having to stick to a schedule for many outweighs a 1.5 hr time difference.

Usage may increase when Bangkok becomes a city less dependant on cars, with congestion charges significant enough to heavily limit traffic in the capital. 
If you drive middle of the night. With the ongoing constructions on Rama 2 road, it takes up to 4-5 hrs especially coming back to Bangkok.

12 hours ago, mortenaa said:

The big question is: Standard gauge or (still) narrow gauge... 160 kmph on narrow gauge ... hmmm.

I think all future rail projects are on Standard Gauge as agreed with China.

Stop talking about a 'High Speed Train'.  This is not high speed with a top speed under 100 mph.  It's just a regular service.

Guess I won't be able to see the millions of passengers since I'm pretty sure I'll be dead by 2051...  BTW, I looked up Hua Hin and see no scheduled flights to the airport.  Just booked flight to DMuang from CMai then ground transport to Hua Hin.  Are there scheduled flights to Hua Hin?  I know years ago Kan Air flew CMai to Hua Hin.

1 minute ago, DrPhibes said:

Guess I won't be able to see the millions of passengers since I'm pretty sure I'll be dead by 2051...  BTW, I looked up Hua Hin and see no scheduled flights to the airport.  Just booked flight to DMuang from CMai then ground transport to Hua Hin.  Are there scheduled flights to Hua Hin?  I know years ago Kan Air flew CMai to Hua Hin.

nothing domestic yet. 

He said that foreign tourists account for a whopping 90 percent of passengers travelling by train between Bangkok and Chumphon.

I've often taken the train on this line, and it's more like 10 percent of passengers being foreign tourists.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, manarak said:

they should directly move to laying high speed tracks, or at least semi-high speed like 250 kph.

we are talking about Thailand, they don't think that far ahead....