Underdogs Thailand will make the champions work hard, warns Warunee

webfact

Underdogs Thailand will make the champions work hard, warns Warunee

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam 
The Nation

a5a154318574dacd988cc34e65edca9e.jpeg

Warunee Phetwiset

Defender Warunee Phetwiset says Thailand will prove a hard nut to crack for three-time champions USA when the twoi meet in their women’s World Cup opener in the early hours of Wednesday in Reims.

The 28-year-old from Nakhon Ratchasima will make her second appearance in the Cup after being the Kingdom’s flag-bearer in 2015, when Thailand finished 17th out of 24 teams and failed to advance to the knock-out stage.

In their final preparation for this year’s event the Thai players, under the guidance of coach Nuengrutai Srathongvian, have studied video clips of the US team to get fully to date with what they would be up against.

“We have to defend in all directions,” said the Chonburi Sripathum player. “They will be attacking all the time and we have to prevent that.

“Effective communication between players in all positions will be essential. We have rearranged our game plan in order to tackle their game,” said Warunee, who will be earning her 45th cap since making her debut in 2014.

The Thai-US game can be watched on PPTV 36 at 2.30am on Wednesday.  The Kingdom follow with games against 2016 Olympics silver medallists Sweden on June 16 and Chile on June 21.

“Everybody in the team wants to score a goal or do even better. We know how tough they are and we will avoid mistakes,” Warunee added.

21deac6bb8322ae61aefa0f10daeca70.jpeg

Alexandre Gama 

Gama angry with second

Meanwhile, national U23 team coach Alexandre Gama was infuriated after his side lost to Singapore 1-0 in the final of the Merion Cup in Singapore on Sunday.

“The team has finished second three times under my charge. This is very disappointing,” the Brazilian said. “I didn’t like it at all and don’t know what’s going on. We will come back to figure things out.”

Apart from Sunday’s defeat, Gama’s side also had heartbreaking losses to Indonesia 2-1 in February’s AFF U22 final and 4-0 to Vietnam in a qualifying game for the under-23 Asian Cup a month later.

There’s been widespread speculation that Gama will soon lose his job due to the dismal results under his charge.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30370836

thenation_logo.jpg

Oh dear.   As the goals came with monotonous regularity in the 2nd half I thought the USA could have diluted the celebrations. Understandable in a reasonably close game but could have shown a bit more respect in the circumstances.

31 minutes ago, salty said:

Oh dear.   As the goals came with monotonous regularity in the 2nd half I thought the USA could have diluted the celebrations. Understandable in a reasonably close game but could have shown a bit more respect in the circumstances.

They love screaming USA! USA!:cowboy:

Perhaps  they should have found a keeper that actually makes some attempt to make a save would have helped plus a few inches in height.

Can only be related to the coach,who will not be around much longer????

15 hours ago, salty said:

Should not forget Thailand showed no respect when beating Cambodia 11 to 0.  Eh?  

Archived