Video: Crafty old farang steals a Thai's money at supermarket checkout

webfact

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he has been ripped off by Thais for many years that he saw the chance to get his own back. Pattaya being the place it is. I'm not saying he did the right thing. One time I went to a Thai bar and one of the girls started to take the piss out of the fact that I was blinking. Later on she give me my bar bill that was one drink cheaper than what I had had and I said nothing thinking, that's karma bitch!

9 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Stepping on a banknote is really bad in Thailand as there is a picture of the King on the note. People have been beaten up before for doing that

That just goes to show how brainwashed some Thais have become.

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

UPDATE:

Video: Farang thief at the checkout got 2,000 baht, Thai shopper tells Thaivisa

Fa2.jpg

Video screenshot

A Thai woman working in Pattaya has told Thaivisa how she lost 2,000 baht at a checkout at the Friendship Supermarket in South Pattaya. 

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1105783-video-farang-thief-at-the-checkout-got-2000-baht-thai-shopper-tells-thaivisa/

So she was also short changed by the Thai on the till. It looks like it was not her day. Either that or she is lying about the second 1000 baht in which case maybe she deserved losing the 1000 baht in the first place.

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Does it really matter if it was 20 or 1000 baht the principle is the same, he obviously saw what happened and should have informed the young lady she had dropped some money.

It matters, because apparently she is claiming it was 2,000 THB

Everyone can see it was a single note in the video.

So she is trying to scam the thief lol

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

If you saw someone drop money in a situation like that and didn't mention it to them and rather surreptitiously picked it up and kept it for yourself, that in my mind is the same as stealing it. Shameful, that man!

6 hours ago, mercman24 said:

ha ha that is so funny, i was in a  bar , with a load of Thais celebrating a birthday,  i keep my small notes in a plastic plastic zip lock bag in my pocket, had about 150 baht in it, i dropped it on the floor, i think every bloody Thai in the bar claimed it as being theirs.

I dropped my wallet containing id, credit cards and 9,000 baht cash in a busy Seven.  I didn’t notice it was missing when I got home. 

10 minutes later I get a call from my Thai husband, fiancé at the time. 

A Thai customer found the wallet and gave it to staff. Staff found my wedding planner’s business card. Called him at 11:00pm. Planner called my husband, husband called me, I returned to Seven. 

Everything in the wallet was intact, including the cash. I offered 1,000 baht reward to the cashier, she refused it. I politely persisted and asked it be shared among the entire staff. She agreed at that point. 

When I got home I reflected on the  experience and regretfully decided it would have a near-zero chance of occurring in my home country. 

Nice people, good outcome. I hope my experience was typical rather than otherwise. 

...and some of you wonder why we have lost the respect of the Thais. White trash arriving on cheap flights daily. A nightmare for those of us who have lived in Thailand since long before this garbage started to arrive.

Looks like a true Brit to me. Thai's hate it when they get their own nastiness dealt back on them. I'm not condoning what happened but why was someone going through the CCTV? Did the shop get robbed later by a local?

[Edit: the Thai claims she lost 2000B. Now either she is telling porkies or she got ripped off further by one of her country folk.]

20 minutes ago, MRDave said:

Maybe he has been ripped off by Thais for many years that he saw the chance to get his own back. Pattaya being the place it is. I'm not saying he did the right thing. One time I went to a Thai bar and one of the girls started to take the piss out of the fact that I was blinking. Later on she give me my bar bill that was one drink cheaper than what I had had and I said nothing thinking, that's karma bitch!

Very strange

20 minutes ago, MRDave said:

Very strange.

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

If you saw someone drop money in a situation like that and didn't mention it to them and rather surreptitiously picked it up and kept it for yourself, that in my mind is the same as stealing it. Shameful, that man!

Not sure about Thailand but in the UK there is an offence of 'Theft by Finding'....this fits perfectly.

14 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

...and some of you wonder why we have lost the respect of the Thais. White trash arriving on cheap flights daily. A nightmare for those of us who have lived in Thailand since long before this garbage started to arrive.

Of course all Thais are good people!? I think very many Thais are, but especially in Pattaya, in these pages we're more likely to see an article about farang being the victim rather than the perp? What about the story about the farang that was murdered by Thais recently

Also, how do you know what kinda guy the farang is? He could have been a fine upstanding member of society where he comes from, then again he could be as you describe.

We should beware stereotyping, myself included.

How was someone aware of this incident, to then have the market check the CCTV?

Did the woman come back, realizing she was a bill short?

Was a surveillance person or a customer watching it occur but doing nothing about it?

Neither of those seem likely.

51 minutes ago, MRDave said:

Maybe he has been ripped off by Thais for many years that he saw the chance to get his own back. Pattaya being the place it is. I'm not saying he did the right thing.

Sorry but that's a pretty asinine explanation.  He's going to rip-off this woman who's never ripped him off because some others of her ethnicity may have?  I hope you don't look at your life in that way. 

Damn, I wish that I had been there and seen it happen. I would have loved to slap the old fart silly. We farang sometimes get a bad rap in Thailand and sometime we deserve it. We need to be proactive and police our kind and, I use the term "our kind' in a very broad way.

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

"tapping" an unknown woman on the shoulder, or any other part of her body, would probably end up in an arrest and big fines.

Considering the circumstances, that contetion's quite a stretch.

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

Not sure about Thailand but in the UK there is an offence of 'Theft by Finding'....this fits perfectly.

OK.      Ship him to the UK.

Archived