Relative tells of hero who died saving teens at Sattahip beach

webfact

Relative tells of hero who died saving teens at Sattahip beach 

2pm.jpg

Caption: The hero who sacrificed his life

A relative of the 25 year old Thai man who died while saving two 15 year olds in trouble in the surf at Nang Ram beach Sattahip on Sunday told Sanook what happened. 

Jiranuch, 37 said she had gone with Wuthichai, 25 and his wife and small child to the beach for a day out. 

But when Wuthichai heard that two teens were struggling in the waves he rushed into the water to save them.

A 15 year old girl and boy among a group of several others playing in the water were saved. 

But Wuthichai was swept out to sea by a fresh, larger wave. 

He was found by divers later submerged 200 meters out to sea. 

Thai media showed heart-wrenching pictures of Wuthichai's relatives grieving on the shore. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-11

Very sad,

why don't more Thais learn to swim, especially if they're going to play in the surf...

Rhetorical question really, there's the huge danger of turning brown and looking like a peasant if, you go swimming much...

18 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Rhetorical question really, there's the huge danger of turning brown and looking like a peasant if, you go swimming much...

Really..is this the right thread to get the first bash in? pathetic

36 minutes ago, madmen said:

Really..is this the right thread to get the first bash in? pathetic

Yes - amazing how far some can go in their hunt for likes ...

RIP

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Very sad,

why don't more Thais learn to swim, especially if they're going to play in the surf...

What a heap of crap I have over 2500 friends in Thailand and they all can swim

17 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

What a heap of crap I have over 2500 friends in Thailand and they all can swim

I too have many friends in Thailand, but I've no idea if they can all swim or not, its not often a topic which comes up in conversation. 

That said, I don't think zyphodb's comments are quite the heap of crap you think...  Deaths by drowning is a poorly publicized but a big problem for Thailand, not quite as significant as the road toll (37.6 deaths per 100,000 people).

Drowning is the leading cause of child deaths in Thailand with more than 56% of child deaths attributed to drowning, 25% attributed to road accidents, and 7% to falling from height.

From 2000 to 2018 there were 22,700 child deaths by drowning in Thailand - which averages at 1262 per year, or 5 per day. The rate has decreased slightly to 727 child deaths last year. 

Thailand is ranked 40th in the world for deaths by drowning out of 183 countries (including adults)

For every 100,000 people 7.67 people drown each year in Thailand. 

In the UK its 0.38 people, in the USA is 1.03 deaths by drowning per 100,000 people. 

Closer to home (Thailand) its 3.51 in Indonesia (lots of coastline and islands), in Malaysia it's 2.31. In China is 3.96.

Thailand's death rate by drowning is on par with Nigeria, Rwanda, Mozambique, Uganda and also closer to home, Vietnam which has 7.01 deaths per 100,000 people. 

4 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

do you have any western countries to compare with

Not for children specifically. The only direct comparison I found is: 

For every 100,000 people 7.67 people drown each year in Thailand. 

In the UK its 0.38 people, in the USA is 1.03 deaths by drowning per 100,000 people. 

But this does not specifically deal with children. 

Additionally: The statistics are just grabbed from the Web and thus may be incorrect or misleading or poorly compiled - I'm sure as is normal with any stat there are sources which will conflict, but still present a general consensus that child deaths by drowning in Thailand, and deaths by drowning across all ages and genders are elevated in Thailand compared to many western nations with greater education and general improved attitudes towards safety. 

Sources: 

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/drownings/by-country/

An additional facet: In the UK drowning does not have so much to do with being able to swim and more to do with the climate, rapid onset of hypothermia and inability to swim due to accelerated fatigue in frigid conditions. 

I have been told (by Thais) that some Thai families do not want their children to learn to swim as this might encourage them to play in ponds and canals, which are dangerous places. True or not, it has a semblance of logic to it.

We do not know whether or not these teenagers in Sattahip could swim, but we do know that even strong swimmers can get into problems in the sea.

We also do not know whether Wuthichai could swim, but we do know that he lost his life while saving others. He was a true hero and his family can be proud.

Let's hope that his wife and young child are provided for.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

But Wuthichai was swept out to sea by a fresh, larger wave. 

I do not think it is a case of being able to swim but as it was large waves it would be more like being a strong swimmer.

As for Thais learning to swim I think they need the pools in which to learn first.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

But when Wuthichai heard that two teens were struggling in the waves he rushed into the water to save them.

Kudos to the guy, he did the right thing but paid the ultimate price.... I sincerely hope his wife & child can find some peace in the future knowing he was a real man !

Archived