Thai minivan driver caught in double lie as female motorcyclist killed in Sattahip

webfact

6 hours ago, robblok said:

The manner is logical its done this way in the EU too, most countries except for a few out of date ones have a lower limit for alcohol for novice drivers or 0. I see only a few countries UK for one also the one with the highest allowed alcohol (wonder why people still say that the UK has no drinking culture)

You can't expect the Thais to change their system as some foreigners a minority can't get a better license. These laws were made with Thais in mind. 

"The manner is logical its done this way in the EU too, most countries except for a few out of date ones have a lower limit for alcohol for novice drivers or 0. I see only a few countries UK for one also the one with the highest allowed alcohol (wonder why people still say that the UK has no drinking culture)"

Some states in Australia also have a progressive alcohol limit however the top limit is still very low, for drivers on their first 1 level / 2 levels of provisional licence the alcohol limit is zero and strongly enforced with very severe punishment, for even simple transgressions of any traffic laws and alcohol. 

41 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"The manner is logical its done this way in the EU too, most countries except for a few out of date ones have a lower limit for alcohol for novice drivers or 0. I see only a few countries UK for one also the one with the highest allowed alcohol (wonder why people still say that the UK has no drinking culture)"

Some states in Australia also have a progressive alcohol limit however the top limit is still very low, for drivers on their first 1 level / 2 levels of provisional licence the alcohol limit is zero and strongly enforced with very severe punishment, for even simple transgressions of any traffic laws and alcohol. 

Drugs and alcohol just have no place in traffic. I mentioned drugs too as they can be as dangerous as alcohol in traffic. 

I have no problem with drinking and drugs, just with people misbehaving on them.

Exceptions are the problem!  So if you have held or holding a longer license means you are allowed to drink more? Be more responsible? One limit for everyone! period.

Now the reality, These Vans are owned by the Transport company that runs the buses throughout the country particularly in Bangkok and Pattaya. You know the white ones with the red and blue strips on the bottom.

NO ENFORCEMENT!  RULES REALLY ALREADY IN EFFECT!  In a country like U.S. these types of driver fall under the B class for Commercial drivers, they are required to have a log book for every vehicle that must be filled out prior to operation. Prior to employment must provide a 3-year history from the Department as to their history of driving which here in Thailand isn't required nor is there a national database to track drivers history. Then there is random drug testing and a required certified medical examination if cleared must carry the medical clearance with their driver license.

These types of drivers are everywhere on the roads in Thailand no one is checking there is no doubt in their enforcement this death is as much the responsibility of the employer and here in Thailand they blame the driver which is part of the blame when they start to make the employer start to pay major money only then will they start to get the message.

Driving is a privilege, not a right the major reason he will not be charged with anything major and will be back behind the wheel because of the police and the government thinking the got must work and feed his family so they will go lightly just another life and sadly the Thai, in general, go along with this the honour system which doesn't work Thailand is a fail State!

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thai people lying and a driver at that? this is unheard of, surly NOT Thai people...

At least he didn't make a runner ...

RIP

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've been driving here for 20+ years, but only have the 2 year temp license (downgraded from the 5yr license because I didn't have a Non-Imm visa this time round)... All irrelevant though as I don't drink drive.

The limits for any driver of a public vehicle should be Zero - a hard no tolerance limit with automatic jail time - this is the only way this issue can be dealt with to protect innocent passengers. 

The manner in which Thailand repeatedly handles these issues is nothing other than juvenile.

well said....an english tv star, some monhs ago was fined 84 k pounds and banned for 20 months for drink driving....should do the same here

Employers must be held accountable for allowing a drunk to get behind the wheel of a public transport vehicle. Background checks of driving records, random (and frequent) breathalyzer tests, rewards for coworker snitches would all help.  

I have only travelled in a mini-van about four times, 3 times out of necessity.  Haven't been in one for years. Driving myself, they are the ones that trigger most of my avoidance strategies.

IMHO the drivers should be in straitjackets. The majority are maniacs.

Archived