Quality Urologist & Hospitals ( for prostates) in Thailand? Would you bet your family jewels on them :)

Chinaussie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

they've been able to isolate the sexually transmitted disease that my nasty wife gave me. 

Jorge, may I ask what STD caused these symptoms?  Just want to know for future reference.

6 hours ago, frantick said:

Jorge, may I ask what STD caused these symptoms?  Just want to know for future reference.

Mine was caused by two, ureaplasma urealyticum and mycoplasma genitalia. 

Almost any std can cause prostatitis, though.

Gonorrhea and chlamydia, for example.  Hiv can also cause it but I imagine that if you have Hiv prostatitis is just one of your major worries.

I wouldn't trust any southeast Asian woman to be faithful and always wear protection.

22 hours ago, SenorJorge said:

i was in bumrungrad for this very reason. VERY recently, as in like last month.  In my experience, the urology care in thailand is horrible.  Just go to India or go back home.  I went back home.  If I get surgery here, I pay a little over 2000 baht to see a competent surgeon who actually speaks my language.  Forget Thailand

Most would think paying a ton of money would get you the best,certainly not thailand,and this hospital you surely would be paying a ton of money.

Baffles me but just 2 hours away from BKK the worlds cheapest and best.  looked at hearing aids in BKK,looked again same -same Calcutta  Widex eyc  all top aids at least a fifth of cost,looked at cataract treatment  Ruthin,again same results maybe even more saving,and those Indian hospitals have the very latest of equipment...one punter suggested 100,000 for pet scan at this hospital,I got figure of 8/9 000 for same scan (could have even been 7000 with exchange rate)  Mole removal 42500 Thailand,private hospital   ,actually 17500 Guy had this done few weeks ago here in Thailand,there 500 baht  fact is I got figure down to 175 baht,but probably path lab itself looking for profit. Does not have to be costly living in thailand,bit more adventurous Id say

10 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

No - Flomax / or Thai equivalent,  once a day, takes care of it very well. I've been to India X4 in the past

10 years and have decided that's enough.  After a while the " magical, mystical India" touted by their

tourist board changed to dirty and stinky with very poor infrastructure.  ( Goa and Mumbai ) 

Although the food is fantastic!!!!

Good meds work for you.  My obstruction is so bad alpha blockers don't help.  So it's to the operating room I go.  Good luck man

On 6/12/2019 at 12:45 PM, Sheryl said:

Thanks again for this info. I just got back from Bumrungrad and Dr. Chodchoy.

My issue was needing to urinate slightly more often which is normal for a 63 year old, but I wanted to check everything out to be sure.

cost for Dr. Chodchoy, ultrasound, blood and urine test 8640 baht. 

follow up next day with Dr. Chodchoy to discuss test results 1205 baht.

I know to many here this seems expensive, but as an American it just seems like nothing. I actually sent a photo of the invoice to friends in the states. $280 for doctor visit, ultrasound blood and urine tests and lab costs? Impossible! 

Dr. Chodchoy has a very good personally, friendly perfect English and we had a very complex conversation about all my issues and options.

He laughed at my new guy in prison joke during prostate exam. :clap2:

They found a kidney stone during ultrasound which was not surprising to me because I have a history of that. 

Kidney stones are god's way of torturing me while I am still alive. 

So that is my report, Bumrungrad is a bit like going to Dubai but I think the Thais are happy to see someone who smiles and speaks a little Thai.

10 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

I had an ultrasound at Ram in CM that came up showing a kidney stone.  Ended up going back 

to a Urologist at Keck in LA to deal with it.  The first thing he told me was always have a MRI

to confirm the stone, the size and shape, as ultrasounds are not always reliable for this.

I had an MRI and there was no stone......... FWIW.

Also, if lithotripsy is offered as treatment the Urologist I saw told me he never uses it anymore.

Too imprecise, and after the 2 treatment it has " about a zero percent chance of working. "

well i decided to leave the stone alone so we did not really get into options. 

i had a stone back in Los Angeles and the same thing happened. could not locate the stone after just one week but i did not pass it. 

so how did you deal with your stone? the old fashion way by hoping it passes or what?

On 6/14/2019 at 7:57 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm thinking of booking her for a body to body massage.

Let me know if she's cute or not?

Don't get your hopes up. The Karsai prostate massage is performed by someone fully clothed. The body-to-body oil massage is 1600 baht with anything extra costing extra. Facilities are very basic and tired. Dutchie has been around the blocks more times than I would care to try.

• 1 month later...

I am currently having a lot of issues with prostate.

Am currently seeing Dr. Supon Sriplakij at Chiang Mai Ram hospital.

I would have used Dr. Bunakkit but we called him on his mobile and he has now retired to Issan (though his coat still hangs in the treatment rooms at Ram.

I don't know if anyone else has had experience with this Doctor. I personally find him a bit terse but have been told by my local doctor that he is good, so I can put up with that, if he cures me.

I have been experiencing a lot of peeing, especially at night. I was diagnosed by Dr. Bunnakit with a large prostate almost 3 years ago with a  reading of 3.95 although the last one I took was 0.5 so that has come down.

The meds I am taking are Finastride 5mg 1 a day

Alfuzosine 10mg 1 a day

Silodosin     4mg 2 a day

Dustasteride 0.5mg once a day

Because I felt better last week I discontinued the Alfuzosine and Dustasteride but that was a big mistake, within 3 days I am housebound but only get 4 hours sleep per night instead of my normal 7 coupled with nightmares, (I don't know which of the two drugs causes this,) I am waking every hour to pee, so I am back on them all now and hopefully things will improve. This was what it was like when I first went to the hospital and saw another urologist a month ago, who prescribed me meds that Dr. Supon said were too weak, to be fair they DID refund me for the ones I still had.

But the doctor has not examined my prostate to see how large it is right now, which I find odd. When Bunakit examined me he said it was large!

I am seeing the doctor again tomorrow, he has said that if things do not improve I will need an operation.

He said that it involved a needle going in just below my scrotum and I will be hospitalized for a couple of nights. They do knock you out when they do it.

Does anyone know what this operation would be called? I will obviously find out tomorrow, but for warned is for armed.

If anyone has any constructive comments to add I would be grateful as this is not helping my quality of life right now.

Regards

7 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Does anyone know what this operation would be called? I will obviously find out tomorrow, but for warned is for armed.

If anyone has any constructive comments to add I would be grateful as this is not helping my quality of life right now.

If you stop taking the drugs it's usually back to the start again (as you have found).

I'm taking Finasteride 5mg plus Doxazosin 5mg.

The finasteride shrinks the prostate (maybe) but might take 6 months to work (or never). (5 alpha reductase)

The Doxazosin relaxes the blood vessels around the bladder, making it easier to wee. (alpha blocker)

On my 3rd month now, if I stopped taking the doxozosin I'd immediately be back to the stage you're at.

Maybe after 6 months, I'll reduce the doxazosin 1mg at a time, and see if my problem gets worse again.

Stop taking it all at once, not on your life.

It was not taking this one "Alfuzosine 10mg 1 a day" that's screwed you up.

Not sure why you're taking 4 drugs, normally they just give you two (1 alpha blocker and 1 5-alpha reductase).

Like Sheryl says, don't know why they're doing a biopsy, stopping the drugs (suddenly) is your problem.

If you started taking the Alfuzosine again, you'd probably be back to normal in 2-3 days.

But its a dangerous drug to suddenly stop or start taking, your BP is probably through the roof.

Thanks for the replies and the imput guys.

BritMan: I had been taking the Urief and the Finastride tablets since the problem started up again, I was not taking these meds for quite a while as I felt fine. I recommenced them when the problem resurfaced.

If you remember I wanted to sell my Urief (Silodosin) a few months ago, glad I never now.

Funnily enough my BP did not change when I came off them, maybe because I was only on them for 10 days.

However today is a bit better and I got a good nights sleep. I want to see how much better I get with the meds right now so I will see the doctor on Sunday and see what he has to say.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, ThaiPauly said:

I am currently having a lot of issues with prostate.

He said that it involved a needle going in just below my scrotum and I will be hospitalized for a couple of nights. They do knock you out when they do it.

Regards

The operation is called a transperineal prostate biopsy. Mine was done In the west after finding a suspicious looking nodule after an MRI prompted by two high PSA's. No hospitalisation, only day surgery.

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

The operation is called a transperineal prostate biopsy. Mine was done In the west after finding a suspicious looking nodule after an MRI prompted by two high PSA's. No hospitalisation, only day surgery.

Why would he want to do a biopsy if my PSA levels are at 0.5?

I'm a bit confused

2 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Why would he want to do a biopsy if my PSA levels are at 0.5?

I'm a bit confused

Maybe your doctor thinks that your symptoms justify this procedure.

Very low PSA readings don't always give you a clean bill of health.

I think you need a proper two way consultation with your doctor.

Maybe your doctor thinks that your symptoms justify this procedure.

I think you need a proper two way consultation with your doctor.

And perhaps a second opinion as I too cannot understand why a biopsy is being suggested.

Do not stop your medications again.

That you feel fine means the medications are working -- NOT that you no longer need the medication

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

40 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

PSA reading are all over the place when you've taken the drugs listed.

Any blood test is unlikely to be meaningful.

There is no reason to give him a biopsy, except to make some quick cash.

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

PSA reading are all over the place when you've taken the drugs listed.

Any blood test is unlikely to be meaningful.

There is no reason to give him a biopsy, except to make some quick cash.

I had the psa reading before I started taking the meds,

As yet I don't know what procedure the doc has in mind, maybe not a biopsy, but if the meds work I won't be in any rush for any medical procedures...especially not without a second opinion

Today it's the worst it's been.....cannot lie down without wanting to constantly pee and when I try and go it's just a dribble.

Sitting at the computer is not too bad, I can put up with it.

Funnily enough I only got up once in the night and my "Fitbit" says I slept 7 and a half hours, so I don't really understand why it should be so bad during the day?

I have been taking pain killers this morning, maybe they are interacting badly with the meds? Problem is I take so many meds for hypertension, diebetis, heart, stomach GERD, I just wonder if some of them cancel others out?

I will be seeing the doctor in less than 48 hours now, he is not at the hospital till then. I also have the name of a back-up doctor at BK Hospital if it does not work out with Supon

Will add another doctor to consider as found his English excellent and his interaction with patients and staff to be very good.  He was working at BH when he performed bladder cancer operation/prostate removal and ileal conduit on me several years ago.  He is now full time at Bumrungrad. 

https://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Charuspong-Dissaranan

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 1:03 PM, lopburi3 said:

Will add another doctor to consider as found his English excellent and his interaction with patients and staff to be very good.  He was working at BH when he performed bladder cancer operation/prostate removal and ileal conduit on me several years ago.  He is now full time at Bumrungrad. 

https://www.bumrungrad.com/doctors/Charuspong-Dissaranan

I went to see said Doctor on Sunday on your recommendation.

I found him very responsive to my situation and recommended a TURP operation for my problem.

I am now back in Chiang Mai and have an appointment with another urologist who has been recommended on this forum Dr.Wittawatt who practices at Bangkok Hospital here.

I have found that medications are just not working and thanks to the doctor at Ram's recommendations I have been taking two lots of the same medication. I could never recommend him, but he is also registered at Bangkok Hospital.

I have resigned myself to the fact that meds won't cover it for me and I will have to opt for surgery.

However, if anyone has any other experience with good urologists in CM I would be grateful as I don't intend to have the operation until after immigration have been to check that I live in the same house I have lived in for 15 years and they could come anytime within the next ten days and if I am not here they could refuse my visa!! I have been advised that the operation will require me to be in hospital for about 3 days.

I hope I will be OK to fly to the UK at the end of September after having the op around the end of the month?

1 hour ago, ThaiPauly said:

I went to see said Doctor on Sunday on your recommendation.

I found him very responsive to my situation and recommended a TURP operation for my problem.

I am now back in Chiang Mai and have an appointment with another urologist who has been recommended on this forum Dr.Wittawatt who practices at Bangkok Hospital here.

I have found that medications are just not working and thanks to the doctor at Ram's recommendations I have been taking two lots of the same medication. I could never recommend him, but he is also registered at Bangkok Hospital.

I have resigned myself to the fact that meds won't cover it for me and I will have to opt for surgery.

However, if anyone has any other experience with good urologists in CM I would be grateful as I don't intend to have the operation until after immigration have been to check that I live in the same house I have lived in for 15 years and they could come anytime within the next ten days and if I am not here they could refuse my visa!! I have been advised that the operation will require me to be in hospital for about 3 days.

I hope I will be OK to fly to the UK at the end of September after having the op around the end of the month?

Wouldn't it be worth your while to wait until you get to the UK to have Rezum treatment, even if you have to pay for it? 

Just now, GarryP said:

Wouldn't it be worth your while to wait until you get to the UK to have Rezum treatment, even if you have to pay for it? 

I don't know. It would be difficult to stay there for the amount of time I may need to recover.

I have been impressed with the first doctor I saw and would completely trust him to do a good job.

I don't know about the one I am seeing this afternoon yet.

Thanks for the advice

15 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I don't know. It would be difficult to stay there for the amount of time I may need to recover.

I have been impressed with the first doctor I saw and would completely trust him to do a good job.

I don't know about the one I am seeing this afternoon yet.

Thanks for the advice

Apparently it is a thirty minute procedure and you walk out from the clinic/hospital immediately after treatment so you would not be laid up, so to speak. I am very interested in this treatment as it seems so less severe than surgery but with good results and with much lower risk of ED (if that is important to you). 

My father has had a terrible time on BPH medicines as he seems to suffer from most of the side effects, so I am very reluctant to follow in his footsteps. Whatever my father suffered from seems to be coming my way. I already have started with lactose intolerance, BPH, and certain allergies he encountered as he hit his 50's and 60's. Luckily my BPH is not so severe yet and supplements seem to be working to a degree, but when things get worse, as they inevitably will, I will go for Rezum unless a newer and better treatment is provided by that time. 

Wishing you all the best and hope you get sorted out.   

On 7/25/2019 at 6:44 PM, ThaiPauly said:

Problem is I take so many meds for hypertension, diebetis, heart, stomach GERD, I just wonder if some of them cancel others out?

Perhaps looking closer at this "Problem" will help?

BTW...don't hypertension meds remove salt & water from the body?

I know many guys who eventually looked closer at why they were taking various meds & worked on the cause eventually getting off them

which did in fact help them.

In their case it was not a matter of drugs cancelling each other out ...instead they caused additional problems

In any case good luck & hope you get better

Doctor at Bangkok Hospital here gives me the confidence that he knows what he is talking about so providing I pass the medical exam tomorrow that says I am well enough for the operation I will be having a TURP done next Wednesday.

It will be great to have a normal pee again !!

On 8/20/2019 at 11:46 AM, mania said:

Perhaps looking closer at this "Problem" will help?

BTW...don't hypertension meds remove salt & water from the body?

I know many guys who eventually looked closer at why they were taking various meds & worked on the cause eventually getting off them

which did in fact help them.

In their case it was not a matter of drugs cancelling each other out ...instead they caused additional problems

In any case good luck & hope you get better

+1  !   I have  been an advocate of finding natural solutions to the medical issues that many here face.

It is a very thankless and often rudely dismissed idea to most.   To give one example, when I gave my opinion (which has plenty of support if one does research) about the dangers of a class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones I was shut down on this very forum.   I have recovered without drugs from my bad experience.  I am glad that you Mania see that there are other ways to go about dealing with health issues than just taking drugs.  Maybe not for ALL cases....... but i am proof that it does work for most of my issues.  Trying to convince others is almost impossible as I am not a doctor  ????

Archived