Recycling coming to Pattaya: New bins expected in households after successful beach trial

webfact

Recycling coming to Pattaya: New bins expected in households after successful beach trial

10pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

A deputy mayor in Pattaya has said that a trial of recycling bins on two beaches has proved very successful. 

Tourists latched onto the idea of a yellow bin for trash to be recycled and blue for the landfill.

Manote Nongyai said that the trial started at Pattaya and Jomtien beaches at the beginning of March had been excellent. 

There have also been campaigns about recycling awareness in schools where two bins have been installed. There are also recycling trucks and landfill trucks separately collecting the different trash. 

10pm2.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

Manote told Sophon Cable TV that from October 1st he hopes that recycling bins will be in Pattaya area households. Householders will be issued with different colored bags to dispose of their rubbish before depositing in the bins. 

He said that Pattaya generates 480 tons of trash each and every day. Most of it ends up at landfill in Rayong. 

There are four daily collection times spread over two main zones in Pattaya and Nong Prue. Some 37 vehicles are used in the refuse disposal. 

Thaivisa notes that Pattaya area residents will be hoping that improvements can be made - complaints abound that much of the trash finds its way into canals and waterways and ultimately into the sea. 

Source: Sophon Cable

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-11

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

A deputy mayor in Pattaya has said that a trial of recycling bins on two beaches has proved very successful. 

Tourists latched onto the idea of a yellow bin for trash to be recycled and blue for the landfill.

Sounds great. If only it had the text printed in (at least) English too, for tourists to be able to understand.

Now before someone says there's signs in other languages next to the bins, how long will it be before either the signs are obscured or removed, or the bins not replaced next to any such signs.

In a city 'renowned' for tourism, it needs to make it easy for visitors to understand how the system works.

I see they have already personalised the bins with 'Pattaya City' in Thai, so could therefore add more text. Surely some 'forward planning' is needed - and yes, I know that's an oxymoron here.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Manote Nongyai said that the trial started at Pattaya and Jomtien beaches at the beginning of March had been excellent

What a lie 

Thai people don't care 

And here in jomtien we have only this now the big green container is gone was always overfull so you think small container work better 

Stupid thinking 

3 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

The reason it worked on Pattaya beach is because farangs "get" recycling.In Oz the yellow toped bins are for recycling, I am sure it is similar in other countries.

You get a ruddy yard full of them in the UK, and have to follow a complicated schedule of which one to put out that week. Here I got one nobody comes to empty.

17 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

The reason it worked on Pattaya beach is because farangs "get" recycling.In Oz the yellow toped bins are for recycling, I am sure it is similar in other countries.

I think the Yellow colour for recycle is pretty much a standard across the Globe.

But Hey !  Pattaya only just thought up this brilliant idea.

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Typical really, they don't bother telling tourists which bin is which

That doesn't matter anyway, both bins will get emptied in the same truck on the same pile. Just like in China...

10 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I think the Yellow colour for recycle is pretty much a standard across the Globe.

But Hey !  Pattaya only just thought up this brilliant idea.

Nice made up story.

From a UK comapny that makes recycling bins:

Common colour coding is blue (paper), grey/black (tins and cans), red (plastics),yellow (textiles), green (glass) and lime green (food waste).

My general recycling bin is blue. My food waste bin is brown. General is green.

It will vary even in different areas of the same city.

Good idea, but it will never work. The locals put any trash including plastic out in the sois, waiting for it to rot or for someone to pick it up. 

Sad, but thats the reality.

So now instead of just black and clear plastic bags clogging the grates at the bottom o Soi Khao Noi after a decent downpour of rain we are going to have to negotiate around wheelie bins. Don't get me wrong the idea is great just not well thought out. Thais are too lazy to put rubbish in a bin just put in plastic bag leave on road for collection E.g as I sit here writing this I'm looking out across Soi in my village at neighbours rubbish piled up against brick wall with upturned bin on top of said wall, neighbour is English man who works away with Thai wife and 2 Thai daughters mid teens how can you educate them?????????   

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I only ever see bins outside 7-11 stores.  Every where else piles of illegally dumped garbage.  Damned tourists.

Very true regarding the bins outside 7 Eleven. I wonder where their rubbish goes?

Archived