Fired worker went on Bt6m spending spree with company credit card

webfact

Fired worker went on Bt6m spending spree with company credit card

By The Nation

cc.jpg

FILE photo

A woman who was fired by her company took revenge by stealing her former boss’s credit card and splurging Bt6 million to live a life of luxury for more than a year, police say.

Pol Col Phadol Chandon of the Economic Crime Suppression said Thamolwan Konthong, 32, was arrested at a house on Soi Kanchanapisek 39 in Dok Mai sub-district in Bangkok’s Prawet district on Monday.

Phadol said Thamolwan was arrested after the owner of the company in Samut Prakan where she used to work filed a complaint with the Economic Crime Suppression Division that a company credit card had been stolen.

The company owner only realised in early May that the credit card had been missing since late 2017, Phadol said. During that time, company accountants thought the boss was using the card so paid the bills to the issuer, Kasikorn Bank.

Phadol said Thamolwan had been using up the monthly limit of Bt500,000 since late 2017, causing Bt6 million in losses to the company.

According to the credit card bill, Thamolwan visited a gold shop in Samut Prakan more than 50 times, spending Bt100,000 to Bt200,000 at a time on gold ornaments and bars.

Police say she also used the card for stays at luxury hotels, paying between Bt20,000 and Bt80,000 per night, for first-class travel on domestic and international flights, and to buy smartphones and luxury-brand bags and clothes.

Police who made the arrest also discovered booty from the year-long spending spree piled up at Thamolwan’s home. Among the items they seized were gold bars weighing 1.216 kilos, a gold necklace of 30.4 grams, a car, four smartphones, a GoPro action camera, a 55-inch TV, a notebook computer, an amplifier, and luxury purses and handbags.

Police say Thamolwan confessed to stealing the credit card out of the anger after she was fired, then using it to live a life of luxury.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30370885

thenation_logo.jpg

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

The company owner only realised in early May that the credit card had been missing since late 2017, Phadol said. During that time, company accountants thought the boss was using the card so paid the bills to the issuer, Kasikorn Bank.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

It's just so impressive the staff and the owner are on the ball!

Do they have any job vacancies by any chance?

25 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

As usual an ID check would have prevented the use of the card, but nobody cares as usual. The shops and the person handling the payments with the cards should also be prosecuted for not making nessecary ID checks.

The boss of the company is just another one in the line of smart people on top of their and the companies economy. 1 year! Unfathomable!

While agreeing about shops should be making ID checks, it pretty pointless as if they did there wouldn't have been any sales made - and that's all the shop is interested in.

The boss did not notice one of his cards was missing?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Surely someone checked where the money was spent and noticed a change in spending patterns? Maybe she was spending less than the boss normally spends and the accountants thought this was a good thing.

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

As usual an ID check would have prevented the use of the card, but nobody cares as usual. The shops and the person handling the payments with the cards should also be prosecuted for not making nessecary ID checks.

The boss of the company is just another one in the line of smart people on top of their and the companies economy. 1 year! Unfathomable!

Square head 

So, the accountant saw CC charges for personal items, many of which one would assume were female oriented, and just continued to pay the bills without question, even though it's a company card owned by a man? I guess the accountant just assumed the boss was embezzling from the company and kept quiet about it.  

4 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Surely someone checked where the money was spent and noticed a change in spending patterns? Maybe she was spending less than the boss normally spends and the accountants thought this was a good thing.

Just what kind of company was this?  I personally doubt they did not know the money was being spent.  Maybe this little lady had a relationship with her boss and he thought he could just ignore it, let her get some money, he gets ..... well, use your imagination what he gets from her.  And then, if things go south he can claim the card was stolen, and it doesn't cost him a satang.

If I gave my wife a card with 6 million on it she wouldn't last a week before the ATM swallowed it and her back on my case for another one.

a friend of mine came into some money after selling off some land.he turned around and gave the wife a million baht.he didn't actually tell her it was for bringing the kids up through school,getting them a computer sort of thing.2 days later she was tapping him up and he asked where's the million...oh I give to mama.yes the mama who wanted to sell his land cheap behind his back while he was away.

5 hours ago, zyphodb said:

Such a shame she didn't think of stashing the ill gotten gains slightly better, would have made her eventual homecoming soooo much better...

Yep,...short time thinking,...Many Thais Excel in it !!!.. If she would have had just half a brain she would be settled for life !!!

5 hours ago, off road pat said:

Yep,...short time thinking,...Many Thais Excel in it !!!.. If she would have had just half a brain she would be settled for life !!!

I have 63 US bank issued credit cards with close to one million USD in available credit. What will happen if I start a spending splurge and then declare bankruptcy?

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

Does that make the ignorance of not making nessecary checks better? Ok, all over the world if you wish.

No it does not. In the US or Europe I don't walk around with an ID in my possession. Does it mean I cant use a credit card?

13 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Here is you answer ... in the original post ... During that time, company accountants thought the boss was using the card so paid the bills to the issuer, Kasikorn Bank.

11 hours ago, petedk said:

Someone misused my credit card last month. Only 350 Baht, but I immediately cancelled the card and reported to my bank.

How can anyone lose so much money without knowing? 

They got more than you ^^

22 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

stupid woman! so why to keep the goods, like gold bars,  bought with stolen money at her place?

Forward planning - pah!

I remember years ago in Pattaya a member of staff responsible for filling the ATM with cash requested some time off urgently.

The next day the bank discovered 2 million Baht missing from the ATM. The woman had done a runner with the cash, instead of putting it in the machine she put in in her bag.
Not a problem, the hard-working police knew where to find her after she disappeared from her rented room. They went to her mother's house up country - bingo!

14 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Can a foreigner buy land in Thailand?

We or most of us know farang can't own land.he paid for the land and it was in his wife's name for several years.it was a figure of speech.hence for being a true wife he gave her the million baht.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:32 PM, petedk said:

Someone misused my credit card last month. Only 350 Baht, but I immediately cancelled the card and reported to my bank.

How can anyone lose so much money without knowing? 

Rich people or companies 

Thailand have super rich people 

Archived